Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wtftb!!

Default Re: Wtftb!!

I just picked up an Orvis Battenkill Disc drag reel in Black nickel today. I was also thinking I was picking it up for a 3wt set up I was working towards.... lol Well I am the new owner of a Douglas LRS 4wt 7'6" rod with that reel on it. I didn't want to spend a mint because I will use it less than my 8wt or 5wt. After testing at the shop, I really like the finish and look of the reel. I also like the sound of the drag. I have yet to fish it ofcourse, but for the money I am thinking I will be happy.
    " I have learned that to be with those I like is enough" Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbeck View Post
    I just picked up an Orvis Battenkill Disc drag reel in Black nickel today. I was also thinking I was picking it up for a 3wt set up I was working towards.... lol Well I am the new owner of a Douglas LRS 4wt 7'6" rod with that reel on it. I didn't want to spend a mint because I will use it less than my 8wt or 5wt. After testing at the shop, I really like the finish and look of the reel. I also like the sound of the drag. I have yet to fish it ofcourse, but for the money I am thinking I will be happy.
    You will be happy. I have a IV on my Loomis Shortstix 8/9 and I like it a lot. Caught four jacks the first time out with it, and a snook the next time. I considered a smaller one for this, but I have one, and I like to switch it up and have a variety of gear. I'm more likeely to have five different reels than five of same model in different sizes. There are so many great rods and reels that there is no need to stick with one brand only. I appreciate the design and workmanship of many brands. I like the black nickel on my Loomis. It's a nice looking reel, and seems well made.
    People complain about the humidity in Florida... but no one's ever had to shovel humidity to get to his car.

I am the same way. I like to try out different things. I have an eclectic group of fishing gear. From $$$ Musky gear to a ice fishing pole that I bought in High school that still has the $2.99 sticker on it lol
    " I have learned that to be with those I like is enough" Whitman

If there is anything that you prefer about one reel over the other, get the reel you like. As you say, money isn't the issue, but over time, whatever nags you in the beginning will become an issue and maybe a regret. That will be especially true if you continue to make a mental comparison between your chosen reel and the reel you didn't select.

5. Likes dennyk liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12