Wtftb!!

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I live in a community with a central lake, with "finger" lakes that extend back behind most houses, so I can fish for small bass and bluegill from the backyard. Maybe 12" is the biggest I've ever caught there, so I use fairly light tackle. I have been keeping an 8' 6-wt Grey's GR50 rigged up with SA Warm Redfish line on the porch, but even that is a little heavy for the small fish, so I decided to step down a little. I pulled out a 4-wt Grey's GRXi that I bought a few years ago for a trip to CT, but never got to use (broke the tip in the screen door and the replacement wouldn't be back in time, so I got a Redington CT 6-piece travel rod to take along). The GRXi is pretty little 8' rod, and it is a shame that it has not gotten more use, so now I am gonna use it. The only line I have for it is some Rio Mainstream on a Redington Drift that I keep for use with the travel rod, so I decided to get some decent warm water line and a nice reel. I have narrowed the reel choices down to a Galvan Brookie or a Ross Colorado. I like the simplicity of a click reel and never use more drag than needed to keep the reel from free-spooling when fishing for small bass. I don't need a reel of this caliber for this kind of fishing... but I want one. I have never seen either in person, and there are no shops that carry them in south Florida, so I can only go by the pics online and recommendations. Benjamin at Stillwater says both are great and that either will serve me well. They have a good return policy, so if I get one and don't like it, I can exchange, but I'd rather get it right the first time and not have to go through the hassle of a return. Plus, if I like the one I buy first and keep it, I won't know if I would like the other one better.

I know... I know... it is a horrible affliction to have such a dilemma...

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, the Ross looks like a work of art and will match the hardware on the rod beautifully, but the Galvan is a little less expensive and the burnt orange will contrast beautifully with the green/grey blank. The price difference is not really an issue, but since I can't justify the cost, I can't justify the cost of the Ross more than I can't justify the cost of the Galvan. :icon_conf

So... any recommendations for one over the other? Any reason that one is better or that one is not as good as the other? Any suggestions for a different reel that may be better for me?

flav

Reaction score
I've handled both the brookie and the colorado, but not fished them. I like the brookie, it's very smooth, but it's very quiet which I don't like. I'm only so so on the colorado, but I'm not a fan of Ross. It makes a nice sound though, and the check mechanism is all metal and very simple which is nice. Both are very nice reels and you'll probably be happy either way.

Other reels to check out are the Abel TR, Hardy Marquis, Leland Cassic, Red Truck Diesel. The Abel is more expensive but very nice, and the other three have dual pawls similar to the drift (a reel I really like) you already own.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I've handled both the brookie and the colorado, but not fished them. I like the brookie, it's very smooth, but it's very quiet which I don't like. I'm only so so on the colorado, but I'm not a fan of Ross. It makes a nice sound though, and the check mechanism is all metal and very simple which is nice. Both are very nice reels and you'll probably be happy either way.

Other reels to check out are the Abel TR, Hardy Marquis, Leland Cassic, Red Truck Diesel. The Abel is more expensive but very nice, and the other three have dual pawls similar to the drift (a reel I really like) you already own.
The Brookie sound is a concern for me too. I don't like a loud drag but I like some sound, and the Brookie sounds too quiet in videos I have seen. If I were going for a true classic look, the Hardy or Leland/Red Truck would be high on the list, but I really like the look of the Colorado. Also, while country of origin is not a deal breaker, it is a consideration. They don't say, so I assume Asia. Ross and Galvan are both made here, and I find that attractive. After several emails with guys at Stillwater, I think I've settled on the Colorado. It's U.S. made, I love the simplicity of the design, it's got only 15 parts, not too loud but the sound is there, and that canvas-thingie handle looks uber-funky-cool.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

mylobass

Reaction score
I live basically east of you near Boca Grande. I fish man made freshwater lakes/ponds almost everyday. The bass are usually small but a few 6 pounders+ come along to keep my hopes up. The tilapia are huge and take nymphs but the real fun is the land locked Snook that come quicker to the fly than conventional tackle. They get big on baby tilapia. I depended on my Nautilus FW7 for years using 6wt. but always felt undergunned when I hooked up to a good snook. I started using a Solitude 4 and got it with two spools, one the mid arbor for 8wt. and a large arbor for 6wt. American made and a real work of art made by the guys who make the Charlton. Just at realistic prices. I no longer feel undergunned. I would suspect from others I've talked to, that your area freshwater ponds are just as loaded with landlocked Snook as mine. You are right about the lack of fly shops in Florida. My town surprisingly got a fly shop a year or two ago and they are great. They just don't carry brands I care for. I'm planning on a Solitude 2 soon for a dedicated bream/tilapia rod. The large Blue Tilapia pull drag almost was well as a Redfish.

srock

Reaction score
I've not considered one, but they look like nice reels. I will check out more about them.
I recently got an IR3 and really like it. Very smooth with an adjustable drag. It’s perfect for most fish and especially bass, bluegill etc. The IR3 is also lightweight and can handle lines from 3-6 weight if need be. Mine is the standard arbor although it interchanges with a LA spool if you prefer. Good luck. SR

dennyk

Reaction score
Get the reel you want and don't concern yourself with the cost, with the thought in mind you may want to hand it down some day. I buy my gear with the one and done mentality and will be using it the rest of my life.

Denny

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Get the reel you want and don't concern yourself with the cost, with the thought in mind you may want to hand it down some day. I buy my gear with the one and done mentality and will be using it the rest of my life.

Denny
Cost truly is not an "issue" as this is really my only hobby and I can buy whatever reel I want. Golf is way more expensive and I had no trouble paying $30+ every week for a round (plus another $20 for the balls I lost in the water). That adds up to hundreds of dollars a year, versus a few hundred for a reel that will last 20 years or more. There is no logical reason for the cost to concern me. Sometimes I think it is more the cumulative cost and the concern that I'm addicted...LOL. However, despite no logical reason, I still look at the dollars. But in this case, I have a bunch of rewards points on a credit card, so I'm going to try not to count the cost, and just get what I want. I'm sure I can find a way to rationalize it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I appreciate the input, and I checked out the Solitude reels. They look nice, but honestly, I'm just looking for something light and simple. I have an 8 wt BVK with a TFO LA reel and a 6 wt with an Allen Kraken for heavier freshwater fishing. I'm not concerned about being undergunned. This rig is specifically for light freshwater, and I want a reel that is simple and elegant. Looking for a roadster, not a pickup. Polo pony, not a workhorse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mcbeck

Reaction score
I just picked up an Orvis Battenkill Disc drag reel in Black nickel today. I was also thinking I was picking it up for a 3wt set up I was working towards.... lol Well I am the new owner of a Douglas LRS 4wt 7'6" rod with that reel on it. I didn't want to spend a mint because I will use it less than my 8wt or 5wt. After testing at the shop, I really like the finish and look of the reel. I also like the sound of the drag. I have yet to fish it ofcourse, but for the money I am thinking I will be happy.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I just picked up an Orvis Battenkill Disc drag reel in Black nickel today. I was also thinking I was picking it up for a 3wt set up I was working towards.... lol Well I am the new owner of a Douglas LRS 4wt 7'6" rod with that reel on it. I didn't want to spend a mint because I will use it less than my 8wt or 5wt. After testing at the shop, I really like the finish and look of the reel. I also like the sound of the drag. I have yet to fish it ofcourse, but for the money I am thinking I will be happy.
You will be happy. I have a IV on my Loomis Shortstix 8/9 and I like it a lot. Caught four jacks the first time out with it, and a snook the next time. I considered a smaller one for this, but I have one, and I like to switch it up and have a variety of gear. I'm more likeely to have five different reels than five of same model in different sizes. There are so many great rods and reels that there is no need to stick with one brand only. I appreciate the design and workmanship of many brands. I like the black nickel on my Loomis. It's a nice looking reel, and seems well made.

Mcbeck

Reaction score
I am the same way. I like to try out different things. I have an eclectic group of fishing gear. From $$$ Musky gear to a ice fishing pole that I bought in High school that still has the $2.99 sticker on it lol

JDR

Reaction score
If there is anything that you prefer about one reel over the other, get the reel you like. As you say, money isn't the issue, but over time, whatever nags you in the beginning will become an issue and maybe a regret. That will be especially true if you continue to make a mental comparison between your chosen reel and the reel you didn't select.