Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default An STH Eliseo's 12 .... Can the Wind Direction be Changed?

Hi, today I became the slightly proud owner of an STH Elisio's 12 saltwater duel cork drag reel and its rather nice suede case. I now have a handful of STH reels which I like because they're made considerately. They aren't the purest in machining, but they're not bad. They're not the most stylish or handsome, but they're not bad. Etc., Etc.
    But they are a little more than just 'good' and by 'considerate' I mean that they were made by a fisherman for fishermen.

STH, under Robert Sarconi, were the first company in the world to use a high quality Swiss CNC machine to produce fly-fishing reels. They were also the first to offer cartridge-spooled reels. The 'Pop' range came in cheap 'IM', injection molded models and more expensive bar stock and even 'Turbine Drag' reels, where an impeller in an 'oil drum' on the casing creates drag when a fish runs.

The Eliseo's 12 is one of his larger saltwater reels, with the script engraved into the aluminium by hand, I believe. Here Mr. Sarconi has opted for two cork disc drags, 'cos one is never enough!

1-STH Eliseo 12.jpg

1-STH Eliseo 121.jpg

It looks for all the world unlined, unloved and unfished. I've read that the case zippers rust out quickly in the salt air and this one is as new, as is the reel, really. Bought for a trip which never happened, I imagine. There's a place I know where Atlantic salmon will take in the sea and I think we'll go there this summer, Eliseo and I.
    There are three things I'd like to know about this reel if any old salty sea dawg can help:

1) Can it be altered from RHW to Left by the user?
    2) In the centre rear there is a small, black, sprung nipple. What is its function? Oil, perhaps?
    3) Where does the name 'Eliseo's' come from? I presume it was named after someone?

Hope you enjoy the pics. Time for a celebratory dram, I think - it was a silly-money bargain!
    Last edited by Lewis Chessman; 02-11-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Grammar, James!

2. Likes original cormorant, spm, mcnerney liked this post
  3. Default Re: An STH Eliseo's 12 .... Can the Wind Direction be Changed?

Try asking STH, but beware before sending anything to STH.

A few years ago after the bearings gave out on my CR Pop cassette I sent it to STH to get it fixed, but then heard nothing for months, until it arrived back with me. Apparently it had been in Argentinian customs and STH had not picked it up because they had not recognised it/me as the sender. After this I corresponded with STH and they were anxious to be helpful. I think that at one stage STH were distributed by Cortland in the US.

Default Re: An STH Eliseo's 12 .... Can the Wind Direction be Changed?

Sorry to hear, o c. I must admit, when I buy these old things I never consider spares & repairs or sending stuff 'abroad', I just accept 'buyer beware' and have been lucky with most to date, thankfully.

I don't know how the company is fairing these days - an old website link I followed is now defunct. I'll look again. I did read that Cortland ''bought out STH'' but I don't believe that's true. Like you, I think they had a distribution agreement with them, as well as re-badging some STH reel as 'Cortland', but still with 'Made in Argentina' on them. They may have made reels for Orvis, too? That rings bells ....

Not many STH reels made it to the UK. I found just one source importing in all my '90s fly mags last week and expect most here now were bought on holiday in the States. The consequence is that they're very often unused or very nearly so. I've been looking for a Pop 2 cartridge for a couple of years now (or the whole reel, just for the spool) but haven't seen one suitable on eBay yet. My time will come ....

STH made many models...for Orvis, Cortland and more. Roberto is creative and always trying new ideas. Mine most similar but not the same as yours is an 80's Orvis SSS but with only one set of cork/Roulon drag surfaces under the threaded cap. It is not reversible to change retrieval directions. It came right or left. Mine is left hand.

Orvis (STH) SSS
    T13 001 SSS 9-10 s.jpg
    T13 006 SSS 9-10 s.jpg

Regarding the spring loaded rear pin. I find this odd as this is an STH design for spool removal via a recessed ball in the spindle. However, this is not apparently relevant in you model as spool removal is via the O-ring retainer and threaded cap.

Here is an Orvis (STH) Presentation which employs such a rear pin.

T16 027 Orvis Reels .jpg

I have another model STH and it can be switched over to LH BUT the clicker stays the same -- that is, you get loud clicks on reeling in line and mush less on stripping line off the reel! Maddening and can't be fixed.

Its a rugged reel and has handled some very large GL salmon.

ddb

7. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

Smashing, sweetandsalt, thank you. Yes, that nipple looks identical. Presumably it was just simplest to plug the hole with a piece they already had? It odd, though, as you say. I'll stop oiling it now.
    On oil, both cork discs looked like they'd never tasted neatsfoot nor nuffink else, neither. I'm giving them a drink of ReelX now before I line it up.
    I'm not fond of RHW but have wound in enough guest rods to be familiar. As for the fight .... hopefully, I'll see!

Do yours still see the water ever, s&s?

My STH reel came from Bean's

IMGP0014.jpg
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

10. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

"Do yours still see the water ever, s&s?"

No. The Presentation EXR's are among the better spring and pawl reels employing coil rather than leaf springs but tend to develop issues with that spring loaded recessed ball spool release which I can't access to fix myself...Orvis will do it though (or at least used to). Still, a reel that never arrived at classic status but is underrated in my regard...better by far than any Battenkill.

The SSS (Salmon Steelhead Saltwater) is a reel I fished a lot in the 80's. I've caught steelhead up to 17#'s striped bass to bonefish and giant sea run browns in the Argentine Rio Grande with this reel. It is still a serviceable reel and a friend of mine continues to fish it as his primary Martha's Vineyard reel...yes you must feed that cork with NeatsFoot regularly and keep the rest of this reel well oiled. But I long ago retired it in favor of Abel's BG's, then Supers and now large arbored sealed and stacked drag reels. So it goes.

12. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

Thanks, sweetandsalt. I'm glad one still gets out once in a while.
    I just enjoy STH's chosen level - they're not Rolls Royce but maybe M.G. or Triumph in their glory days (hoping that translates!).

Rip Tide, that's very nice, cheers I like the colour scheme especially. Interesting to see that they adapted both the central badge and the suede stamp on the case for LL Bean's reels - but s&s's Orvis SSS has a plain disc instead - or did the 'coin' come away?

Most of them said "Orvis".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast