Fly reel arouns 3-400$$ ??

Reaction score
Hey guys! looking for a saltwater reel 8-9 wt

Was looking for an Orvis hydros SL or nautilus x-series. Any of you experience thoses reels?

Better suggestions for quality-price ??

Thanks !

flav

Reaction score
It would help to know what you're targeting. Do you just need a saltwater safe reel for fish that don't run far or fast like stripers or redfish, or do you need a great drag too for line burners like tuna?

Either way look at Colton reels. Their top of the line Terrapin is on sale in your price range right now.

karstopo

Reaction score
I picked up the Allen Atlas III not too long ago. They run about $339. I have just started fishing it, but it seems very solid and well made. There’s nothing I can find wrong about it and a lot to like. Haven’t put any fish on it yet that might give a true reading on the drag. The drag feels smooth and adjusts nicely.

I also have the Nautilus X XL Max. They are about $395. It’s a very light weight reel and would likely pair well with a very light rod. It’s about an ounce and a half lighter at 4.7 ounces than the Allen Atlas III. The Nautilus hasn’t given me any trouble over the many trips it’s been on. It has had some somewhat serious fish like Jack Creavelle test the drag. It doesn’t look bulletproof like some of the really high end reels do, but I haven’t dropped it or anything so it remains fully intact. I’ve yet to bend a reel frame in the hundreds of trips I’ve been on so the need for a bulletproof reel may not be a priority of mine.

I’d give either one of these reels ago at anything that swims around my waters including Tarpon, king mackerel, Bonito, bull redfish, Dolphin, sharks and jack creavelle. All of those and others saltwater fish I have experience with on light conventional tackle and some I have experienced on fly tackle so I have a pretty good idea of what the demand on gear is with these fish.

I also have caught striped bass on light baitcasting rigs to about 20 pounds and bluefish to 12 and these reels would be fine for either of those species.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I agree with Karstopo. Allen back in the fall had a sale for their best reel the Omega III at 50% off. A few months back they had a special color deep blue Kraken 3 for 30% off. I would get on their email list for like notifications. I have a Atlas 4 is it is very good as well.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Old Time used Abel( 3N, 4N, Super 9, Super 8) Tibor (Everglades, Riptide)

bonefish41

Reaction score
Forgot to add Lamson Speedster HD 3 or 3.5...last year I purchased used 3.5HD less than 200 for my light Permit rods either TCR 10 or TCX 9 because 4.5 spool diameter and 5.5 oz...it landed with the TCR a nice Permit...my fixed drag is always less than 3lbs on my Abels and this Lamson ...need more it is the hand on rim...the Speedster has an easy 2lb. but not much more than 3 lb...and it's more fragile for drops than my old Abels but I like its light weight and spool diameter. However, since it's only been in very limited salt service, I cannot comment on salt longevity...whereas I've had my Abels for over 30 years always salt.Winter'sPermit.jpg

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My long time Atlantic salmon reel was an older Abel 3N and it is great. There are lighter modern alternatives now with sealed drags in your price range. I fish a Nautilus X in a trout size and like it a lot but hesitate to suggest it for 8/9 weight use...better their CCFX-2. The Allan Atlas positively mentioned above is a very well designed and built reel at a price point influenced by its Chinese manufacture. The Orvis you mentioned is also Chinese but too flexy particularly in a larger size. The TFO Atoll built in Korea is also very good, I've caught bonefish on it no problem and take a look at Taylor Fly Fishing a Forum Sponsor like Allan, both companies with very good bang for the buck reel offerings.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I think for salmon and saltwater the Nautilus CCF X2 is a much better choice than the XL Max. which is too light for bigger rods and not as robust. I fish an NV-G on my 8-weight for bonefish. The X is great in trout sizes.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The Torque is a very nice reel, again in trout sizes. Many reel designs that span the full size range don't translate well from light to heavy duty and vice versa.

camelbrass

Reaction score
Not a sealed drag is it? That could be a problem in the saltwater over time.
Karstopo

I reckon the opposite. In my experience, it's sealed drags that end up with the problems over time.

One of my SDSs is already back at Abel, my Supers just keep going. In fact, just about to do a quick grease and oil on them before they get packed for Astove in 10 days.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
Karstopo

I reckon the opposite. In my experience, it's sealed drags that end up with the problems over time.

One of my SDSs is already back at Abel, my Supers just keep going. In fact, just about to do a quick grease and oil on them before they get packed for Astove in 10 days.

Regards,

Trevor

That’s interesting and thanks for the observations. There is this mantra that a reel must have a sealed drag to be considered saltwater worthy. It’s even on the review of the Galvan Torque from Trident.Galvan Torque T-5 Fly Reel Review | Trident Fly Fishing I haven’t had a sealed drag fly reel go bad yet, but have wondered how a reel manufacturer seals a drag tight enough to prevent saltwater from getting in and causing trouble. Sounds like in the case of your SDS, they can’t.

Fly reels are incredibly simple as compared to the low profile baitcasting reels I used in the past. Those baitcasting reels are notoriously prone to issues when exposed to the saltwater environment. That’s supposed to be one of the big pluses or minus depending on one’s perspective about the Abel Super, the simple drag mechanism that’s easy to get at and maintain.

I wonder how many others have had issues with sealed drags that were billed to be saltwater safe?

camelbrass

Reaction score
Karstopo,

I think that everyone focuses on the wrong thing with sealed drag reels. The common wisdom is they are more reliable in the salt because water can't get in. That may be the case when everything is new and tolerances are tight but that's a passing phase with anything mechanical. Eventually, everything loosens up and seals deteriorate unseen, particularly given the corrosive and abrasive qualities of salt. Water doesn't need a lot of space to work its magic.

The real problem then is not whether saltwater can get in (eventually it will) but can it get out? Using the same logic all my Abels are also fully ported.

Regards,

Trevor

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Not to put too fine a point on it but non-sealed draw-bars like Abel Super and Tibor are relatively unaffected in performance by getting wet...saltwater drains right out and we hose them down latter. Reels with unsealed discs in a housing like Torque can entrap salt water in the drag recess causing alteration and detiroirizaton of performance, not good in the salt.

So far I've been good with stacked sealed drags but as Trevor wrote, seals potently can deteriorate over time. What failure did your SDS experience?

I

ikankecil

The only fly reels I have ever had to send back (repeatedly) were "sealed drag" Charlton reels. I had to send three 8500 .8's back and one 8500 1.2. Several friends had to send back both an 8550 and an 8450. They would ended up with water inside and you could shake them and hear it sloshing around in there. Really comforting in a saltwater wading reel...:(

While I now use Galvan "Grip" reels in the larger sizes, which are also sealed by way of an o-ring, I don't have the negative view of non-sealed reels that seems pervasive now. If I were shopping in the OP's budget range, I'd be looking at either a used Tibor Everglades or if cork isn't the flavor of the month, a Galvan Torque or Redington Grande. And, not to completely sidestep this topic but a whole lot of fish, and records, were landed on reels that didn't have the hallowed "large arbor".

camelbrass

Reaction score
Hi S and S,

Not failure per se but the drag became really lumpy and uneven. I removed the cam a couple of times and reseated it but nothing improved. Trouble with that is that if you live anywhere else but the US it's a painful process having to return the reel and wait for it back.

To be fair, I have another one which seems OK and will be using it on Astove in a week. I will, however, be taking a Super 9 as a back up.

Regards,

Trevor

Reaction score
thanks guys for all your replies! what about 3 Tand reels? Are they good in salt? I'm from Canada ( Quebec) so I don't have access to all the reels your talking about in my country! thanks a lot guys !!