Need Your Help

buckeyeflier

Reaction score
I understand that I might be beating a dead horse here so I apologize in advance, but I would like to hear your opinions. Here is my question.

I am looking for a new real for my Fenwick HMG 9' 6wt rod. I will be using it to fish primarily for Smallies and Trout (in no particular order). I currently have a Cabelas SLA reel that I will use for my floating lines, but I want to get an extra spool for my new real to put one sinking and one triangle taper line on each.

I am currently intrigued by the Orvis reels since they are offering a free spool with there BBS and Mid Arbor reels. I like the BBS because of its light weight and I dont imagine I'll be using the drag or putting too many fish on the reel itself.

However, I am also considering the lamson radius. I currently have a Velocity on my 7wt and love it.

I don't want to spend more than $160 for a reel and extra spool since I need to line them as well. I think I can accomplish this with each of these reels.

Anyways I love to hear your feedback. What should I be considering? I'm open to your input. Thanks.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Buckeyeflier-

Lamsons are great reels but i think you may have ahard time staying around 160 for reel and spool.

The Lamson Radius retailed for about 180 but I’ve seen them on closeout for about 120…. But the extra spool runs around 70 retail and I haven’t seen them marked down yet. Do a search to see if you can find some, they may be out there. I think these are being replaced by the Lamson Guru for 2009 at a similar retail price point and your unlikely to see a discount on them, which also brings up the issue of replacement parts or spare spools for the Radius down the road because they are being discontinued.

The Lamson Konic will stay in the lineup. It’s a fine reel, but it’s a pressure cast aluminum alloy frame and spool, not machined (not that it affects performance though). The Konic 2 (for 5-6 wts) retails for 130, spool 65, but that would be the same as a discounted Radius plus retail price spool at 195 for both.

If you are interested in Lamsons shop around, there may also be some deals out there with the lousy economy--- or perhaps you could swing a deal with a discount on fly line if you buy everything in one place.

But, I’d say it would be tough to beat the deals on Orvis with free spools.
The Orvis Battenkill MA is machined, and the B MA 3 (for 5-6wts) goes for 140 and the spool normally goes for 75.

The BBS 3 (for 5-7 weight lines) goes for 130, with extra spool normally 60.

Either Orvis reel with free spool would keep you under your budget and should be fine for what you’re looking to do.

peregrines

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I have a couple lamson and love them and I have a biggame LA orvis and its a great reel. I never fished much from orvis untill I bought a rod and reel from a local shop for hybrid stripers, both the rod and reel are great, smooth, easy handling, and fights big fish very well, I dont think you could go wrong with either choice. check out flyshopcloseouts.com they carry some reels from both on closeout deals and spools I belive.
Good luck
Bear

Joe D

Reaction score
Either Orvis reel will last you for the rest of your life.

buckeyeflier

Reaction score
Well, I broke down and bought a new Lamson Velocity 2 Hard Alox. I have a #3 for my 7wt and I love it. 4.2 oz for a LA reel is really nice. I found a deal on ebay for $139. I guess that extra spool will just have to wait. Thanks for the feedback.