Redington Drift Question

FrankB2

Reaction score
I found a website that listed the Drift's width at around 1.25". This sounds good, as it would mean less line is buried close to the spindle. Anyone ever take a tape to their Drift reels? Cliff...Dennis???? I'm acutally interested in the inside width of the reel: the width of the spool where the line sits, not the overall reel
width.

P.S. Will the foot fit a Sage ZXL?

BigCliff

Reaction score
Sorry bud, I don't own one. It just looks promising to me.

Given that Far Bank owns both Sage and Redington, I would sure think they'd pair up.

FrankB2

Reaction score
That's just not good enough, Cliff. :D Seriously though, thanks for mentioning the name of the holding company in charge of Sage, Redington, and Rio: Far Banks Enterprises. Some people utter the phrase holding company with a bit of disdain when it comes to Sage, as if they are controlled by Dr. Evil, or maybe even a company that manages the production of salsa and chips as well. :D Here's a description of Far Bank Enterprises: CLICK HERE. Here's a definition of sorts for a holding company: What Is a Holding Company?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Nope. Never took a measuring tape to a Drift. It should fit in a reel seat of a ZXL.

For sure, an Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor fits the ZXL reel seat. That's what I got on my 490-4 ZXL.

MP

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Frank,
Back to the width issue. I don't know the actual width, but the Drift is wider than most reels in its category. Redington wanted to keep the dimesions of the reel as close to old school as possible, yet it wanted it to have some benefits of a large arbor (actually a mid arbor). The Drift is not that tall, but it is fairly wide. Keep in mind that most modern large arbor reels are going taller in diameter and narrower in width. The main thing that the width does for the Drift is give it backing capacity.

MP

BigCliff

Reaction score
Frank,
Back to the width issue. I don't know the actual width, but the Drift is wider than most reels in its category. Redington wanted to keep the dimesions of the reel as close to old school as possible, yet it wanted it to have some benefits of a large arbor (actually a mid arbor). The Drift is not that tall, but it is fairly wide. Keep in mind that most modern large arbor reels are going taller in diameter and narrower in width. The main thing that the width does for the Drift is give it backing capacity.

MP
I'm finding the Drift more and more appealing.

I bet I could sell two of my three spare spools for my Colorado and pay for a Drift...