Any recommendations for an affordable steelhead reel?

kahuna

Reaction score
I'm in the market for an affordable steelhead reel - in the $100 range if such a thing exists. I recently purchased a Redington CD 7/8 wt at a great price (~$70) but based upon some of the feedback that I have read on this site as well as others I'm considering sending it back. The reel was recommended over the Lamson Radius by the e-tailer even though the Lamson was a little more expensive.

Anyway, I'll be using the reel for winter steelheading and would like to find a reel that will serve me well for years to come. There are lots of options in the market today - some manufactureres with US and Asian made products.

Any input provided would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Lamson Konic I have a Velocity but the more value priced Konic seems about to be the same reel. The 3.5 size sells here for $135 I think. In the lower 48 they may be less.

onlymidges

Reaction score
Find a Lamson Radius 3 it is a 7-8wt reel. I have one and love it and you would too if you had one. The Lamsons have one of the best drag systems. Check ebay because you can get one for around $100 or maybe less.

Jr

hardhat

Reaction score
Take a look at some of the Washington and Oregon fly web sites. They have numerous blogs about which reels and rods they choose. By the way the Redington reel you purchased was well written about by several people. However I agree that the Lamson Waterworks drag is hard to beat.

webrx

Reaction score
I am curious, what is wrong with the Redington reel? I have a Cd 3/4 and a Cd 5/6 and have no complaints with them other then I can't find a reasonably priced spare reel for the 5/6 the gusy on Ebay want full retail and then 10 for shipping. Sportman's is out of the spare spools.

I have had no issues with my reels, but am wondering if there is something I need to be aware of?

Dave

kahuna

Reaction score
To follow up on the comment/question of webrx I'd also like to know what issues users have had with the Redington CD. I ordered the 7/8 and the 3/4 from Sierra Trading post and they are sitting on my desk right now - still in the boxes and unused. With special discounts I think I paid about $70 for the 7/8 and $45 for the 3/4. At these prices you could be a second reel for the price of a spool. Most of the feedback from forums has either been recommending another reel with few specific comments about specific issues with the CD. I have also spoken with someone from Redington and another shop owner who sells the CD. Both say that the CD is a durable reel - the only real complaint being that it is a little heavier than some other options in the market. The CD was replaced by the Rise which is supposed to have the same drag system.

If anyone reading this post has first hand experience with the CD please post your comments - good, bad or otherwise. If the feedback points to known problems/weaknesses with the product I'll ship them back and find something else - Lamson Radius perhaps.

hardhat

Reaction score
I beleive that the Redington, Pflueger Trion/ President and Battenkill Mid Arbor are all made at the same factory. A friend and I actually put a spool from a Battenkill on to a Pfluger Trion to see if it would fit, which it did. The Trion spool also fit on the Orvis reel. Later on we used a micrometer to measure the drag and bearing, finding the measurements to be the same. People who use these reels regularly have confidence in this equipment. It looks like you got a very good deal on the Redington. If it were me, I would put the reel to good use and not look back.