Identify This Reel

wjlapier

Reaction score
Found this reel at the Goodwill today. $4.99! The line was a little tangled but once I got it all out and cleaned the reel it seems to work just fine. Anyone care to identify what company made this reel? What is the button on the opposite side of the reeling knob? Is this a right hand reel only?

DonW

Reaction score
Japanese version of the medalist, after USA production stopped they were built in Japan then China. Pushing in the button should allow removal of spool, you then remove the two small screws and flip over the ratchet plate to allow LHW, you can also pull the frame apart and move the line guide to proper location for LHW. I like USA built versions best though I do have one Japanese version that works fine, others I've had not so great, Chinese version had some cast parts that wouldn't hold up well if dropped. Some say the Akron Ohio built were the ultimate, though I find the Arkansa built version just fine.

DonW

Reaction score
If you're referring to the small knob on the back side, that is the pocket that holds spring and pin under ratchet plate. If you want to clean up the screw mess they should be metric, sorry can't recall exact dimensions.

flytie09

Reaction score
My guess is an Olympic knock off of the Pflueger Medalist. Made in Japan during the 60’s - 70's.

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My guess is an Olympic knock off of the Pflueger Medalist. Made in Japan during the 70's.
This ^^^
That's a medalist knock-off manufactured in Japan by Olympic
Notice the replacement screws. Those reels famously lost screws all the time
The one that I bought in 1964 was sold as a Horrocks&Ibbotson

.... like this one

jayr

Reaction score
All this reel needs is a good cleaning and lubing and probably some fresh line.

After cleaning, use neats foot oil on the cork drag.

wjlapier

Reaction score
Thank you for the identifying the reel. There was a video where a guy who's how to flip the disk inside to make it a LH retrieve reel, but the disk doesn't have the same counter cut as the original side so it stays as is. It can still be used as a LH retrieve reel for an occasional use as far as I can see. I have an extra box of 5wt line and I'll load it and test it out this week on a local lake. It's basically a line holder around here.

I don't think I saw any cork inside, btw.

flytie09

Reaction score
No. That pad isn't cork. It's micarta. A type of composite plastic.

Micarta - Wikipedia

I'd say to go ahead and strip the old line off and soak it in warm water for a couple of minutes. Clean off the old grime and crud with a soft toothbrush and some q-tips.

Don't lubricate this pad/drum surface or you'll be scratching your head why the drag no longer works. Simply clean the pad and the drum riding surface with a Q-tip and maybe some alcohol. Don't use alcohol or vinegar or any other solvent other than water on any of the painted surfaces of the frame or it will come off. Don't ask how I know........

Lubricate the spindle with a drop of reel oil. I use Reel-X. Apply a small amount of grease to the drag adjusting screw and the drag plate top surface where the detents are (where it makes the clickety clickety sound). A very small amount applied with a toothpick will suffice. Quantum Hot Sauce is one of the best greases out there for reels.

That's about it.

Riptide's mention about screws getting lost on these reels is a fact I wasn't aware of. But makes sense. I'm afraid this reel has lost a screw or two in it's life.

These reels are so simple it's scary. Inexpensive, simple and tough.

The Pflueger Medalist was one of the best selling and most copied fly reels ever. There's a reason.

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Thank you for the identifying the reel. There was a video where a guy who's how to flip the disk inside to make it a LH retrieve reel, but the disk doesn't have the same counter cut as the original side so it stays as is. It can still be used as a LH retrieve reel for an occasional use as far as I can see. I have an extra box of 5wt line and I'll load it and test it out this week on a local lake. It's basically a line holder around here.

I don't think I saw any cork inside, btw.
Pretty sure that the ratchet on that reel is not reversible like a Medalist of the same vintage
You could buy a replacement ratchet if it was that important to you but they're not cheap
At any rate, you'll be hard pressed to get those screws out to move the line guard

My advice would be to oil the springs. There's 3.
Behind the spool latch cover. Under the piston in the spool. And the one behind the ratchet.
I still occasionally use my 1964 Olympic reel. I've got a 5wt full sink line on it, which doesn't get used a lot .... but it could !

wjlapier

Reaction score
It actually works fine as a LH retrieve reel. Took it apart and cleaned and lubed it. Found some extra line and backing. It's a heavy enough reel to balance out one of my local made rods I couldn't find a heavy reel for. And most reels I tried on the rod didn't seat right anyway--wiggled too much. Heavy compared to my other 9/5 combos but cast fine in the backyard. I'll give it a try this coming Thursday when I go camping.

flytie09

Reaction score
That dog’ll hunt. That which is old is new again....

wjlapier

Reaction score
As you would imagine this setup caught fish though a bit heavy compared to my other rods. I'm fishing mainly a small lake until Memorial Day weekend when the river opens up. No problem loading the reel with line for LH retrieve even thought the hardware stayed the same. A bit squeaky so some lube needs to be applied. I might look for another one in better condition and with proper LH retrieve hardware. This reel is just what this one particular rod needed to get put into action.