Nautilus, Abel, Ross Or?

Windwarrior

Reaction score
Soooooo,
I'm considering buying an Abel TR and was curious as to any thoughts on the others in the title. Nautilus kinda gives me the impression they're more of an ocean fishing. Ross, I know is also a sister to Abel or visa versa but not too keen on the looks except for maybe the Colorado LT or the Animas just due to the Colorado etchings.

The main reason I'm leaning towards the Abel TR is because of the graphics options they're offering but I'm also seeing that the TR is tried and true from the past with slight upgrades/ changes. No clue what changes they are but nonetheless, changes.

I'm looking at the TR graphics of the Colorado version and the Cutthroat. Yes, both. Probably in 2/3 and 4/5. One thing I've come across or curious about them are them not being a sealed unit like the SDF's. Is that really THAT big a deal?? I'm not a huge fan of the SDF but love the graphics of the TR.

What do you think? Other than I need my head examined. LOL!

Keeping in mind I'm obviously focused on looks BUT I do want feedback on pros and cons of reliability and longevity.

Last edited:

zjory

Reaction score
I have a TR 2|3 and a 0|3 LT. I like them both a lot and performance doesn’t matter on reels this size. They both look great, the Abel looks better.

osseous

Reaction score
There's really nothing to seal- as there is no drag. You palm the rim to apply drag pressure. The reel just has a simple spring loaded pawl to prevent line overrun. They're beautiful- until you drop them on a rock... then the pain is even greater. I've got the Colorado LT- it's a great little reel for creek fishing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Uuumm.....could you maybe tell us what rod you are trying to balance these with and what the intended usage is....that might help to give the feedback on the attributes of the reels in consideration. The TR is a click/pawl reel (no real drag you palm the reel for drag, as previously posted, it doesn't require being sealed). We would "assume", and I always hate to do that, that these reels are in contention to be put on small water/creek type rods where a drag is not often required or never really employed? If not, which is also fine, are you familiar with/practiced in - palming a reel for drag? Obtaining balance in a matched rod/reel is one component that should not be totally ignored as it makes casting for longer periods far more enjoyable, but additionally matching a reel/rod to the waters you intend to fish is perhaps a greater focus....that said, pretty reels are very nice, BUT, if they are intended to be fished and not just collected you will want to insure they are well suited to the waters you intend to fish them in and further, are well balanced to the rod they are going on. Additionally, to your question- the new TR is a very nice reel, however, it is nothing remotely similar to the old TR looks wise, two totally different looks, the reel was not "upgraded or updated" it was totally redesigned and is a completely different reel looks wise.

Windwarrior

Reaction score
Uuumm.....could you maybe tell us what rod you are trying to balance these with and what the intended usage is....that might help to give the feedback on the attributes of the reels in consideration. The TR is a click/pawl reel (no real drag you palm the reel for drag, as previously posted, it doesn't require being sealed). We would "assume", and I always hate to do that, that these reels are in contention to be put on small water/creek type rods where a drag is not often required or never really employed? If not, which is also fine, are you familiar with/practiced in - palming a reel for drag? Obtaining balance in a matched rod/reel is one component that should not be totally ignored as it makes casting for longer periods far more enjoyable, but additionally matching a reel/rod to the waters you intend to fish is perhaps a greater focus....that said, pretty reels are very nice, BUT, if they are intended to be fished and not just collected you will want to insure they are well suited to the waters you intend to fish them in and further, are well balanced to the rod they are going on. Additionally, to your question- the new TR is a very nice reel, however, it is nothing remotely similar to the old TR looks wise, two totally different looks, the reel was not "upgraded or updated" it was totally redesigned and is a completely different reel looks wise.
All good points!!
So I'm new to fly fishing but not to fishing and actually have yet to palm a reel for drag. I grew up ocean fishing and spinning reels.

I definitely haven't overlooked the balance portion of this process and am heading out today to a couple of shops with rods in hand to check out the balancing part for sure.

I have the following:
H3 D 5wt
H3 F 3wt
Silver Label 4wt
And the Granger 6wt

Windwarrior

Reaction score
As far as waters go, creeks, rivers(large and small) along with lakes(mostly alpine lakes). I do a lot of hiking and almost all my hiking involves a water destination. The great thing about that is that while hiking to the water sources I'm usually always following creeks or rivers along the way. So for me it's a win win scenario!

duker

Reaction score
If you can find them in the shops where you are (you can find them online if you can't), check out Islander IR reels. They're basically Canadian Abels, and the IR series are beautifully made gear-and-pawl reels. No cool graphics like the Abels, tho'. An IR3 and/or IR4 would work well on your rods I think.

Scott

Windwarrior

Reaction score
I went to the fly shop and was able to check out the TR, the Super Series and the SDF. I was amazed how well all of them balanced on the 3wt and the 5wt. On the fence on the 4wt. but granted none of them had backing or line.

On both the 3 & 5 they were excellent two finger balanced. The 4 was a bit tip heavy but I'm guessing with the backing and line on it, it would probably be just as good.

mtbright

Reaction score
I went back and forth on what reel I was going to put on my sage 486 I several hatches and they are great reels. I have a couple of older Abel’s for some of my heavier wt’s.

I looked at the tr’s , really pretty reels. But I got a Bauer Rx 1, like it so far touch light on the rod, May need to go up to rx 2. But so far nice reel and I got about 30% off

055939F5-CD76-4E7B-9148-B35BF640C389.jpg

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I went to the fly shop and was able to check out the TR, the Super Series and the SDF. I was amazed how well all of them balanced on the 3wt and the 5wt. On the fence on the 4wt. but granted none of them had backing or line.

On both the 3 & 5 they were excellent two finger balanced. The 4 was a bit tip heavy but I'm guessing with the backing and line on it, it would probably be just as good.
You looked at three great reels. Per previous post, the 3 wt class really doesn't need a full drag reel in most of the scenarios it would be fished, with the exception of a long 3wt to be used with extra long leaders to super picky fish on larger waters. I would assume your 5wt might see duty on larger waters and could employ a drag, as could a 6wt.....a 4wt could be on the fence based on the predominant water size/fish size usage. Most 3-6wt floating line and backing combinations will add about 1-1.75 oz. to the balance point on average. The Super Series is the heaviest - size to size of the 3 reels you viewed in the Abel series, which is nice if you are trying to balance a slightly heavier rod or prefer greater grip weight feel. Conversely, if the rod is uber light for it's size designation, the Super Series might be overkill. There is 1/3 - 1/2 of an oz. difference between TR and SDF of similar designations, with SDF being the middle weight of the three reels. In reference to your response to earlier questions; If you want to learn to palm a reel and think you will enjoy it fishing 5wt class waters then the TR might be a consideration, if you don't want to risk the learning curve and intend on fishing 5 wt appropriate waters with corresponding fish size, you may wish to consider the drag option of Super or SDF. Without question, all three reels are top tier offerings in their classes, but the most technically advanced of the group is the SDF. I own all three reels for different applications and weight classes, where they all excel at their jobs. When I learned to fish, all there was were click pawl dragless reels, you learned to palm for drag, it's a skill that I don't regret learning, but without a doubt when fly fishing employed a drag system, arguably borrowing the concept from conventional tackle, it changed the game of being able to bring larger fish to net more expediently and ethically, a fish that takes a click pawl reel to it's backing is not going to be subdued in as timely a fashion. I still love click pawl reels but only emply them in smaller weight classes of rods. Good luck on your search!!

srock

Reaction score
I have 2 TRs and an Abel Creek. I love them all. One reel you have not mentioned that is similar to the Abel TR and maybe even a bit better is the Islander IR3 reel. These are made in Canada and are reasonably priced for reel and spool The IR 3 would likely match the TR2, about 3 inches in diameter. These are traditional reels with pawl and click drag. I really like mine. They look classy and are very well made. Look them up and you will not be disappointed. SR

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
"I have the following:
H3 D 5wt
H3 F 3wt
Silver Label 4wt
And the Granger 6wt"

Starting from the premise that the custom graphics are a priority to you, that kind of limits you to the Abel offerings. For the H3D#5, SDF would be appropriate (as would Orvis's own Mirage, one of the Ross EVO's or Nautilus X) and for the #3 the Abel TR. Islander is a very good company, Ross Colorado is popular in this size as would be the newer Animas, personally I tend to use older CFO's on little rods but a current spring and pawl that does not get the attention it deserves is Douglas's, the Argus. Argus Fly Reel | Douglas Outdoors

osseous

Reaction score
Those slide style spool locks are deal breakers for me. Had them freeze up too many times in the past to ever buy another. Nautilus used them at first- I was glad to see them move to a better design. Nobody has mentioned the Galvin Brookie-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fffl

Reaction score
I have the new TR2 & the colorado lt , the colorado is much lighter than the tr2 . the colorado will balance with the shorter & lighter rods and the TR2 will balance with the longer rods. all things being equal I would recommend the TR2 , it is a thing of beauty but you can't go wrong with either one.

Windwarrior

Reaction score
You looked at three great reels. Per previous post, the 3 wt class really doesn't need a full drag reel in most of the scenarios it would be fished, with the exception of a long 3wt to be used with extra long leaders to super picky fish on larger waters. I would assume your 5wt might see duty on larger waters and could employ a drag, as could a 6wt.....a 4wt could be on the fence based on the predominant water size/fish size usage. Most 3-6wt floating line and backing combinations will add about 1-1.75 oz. to the balance point on average. The Super Series is the heaviest - size to size of the 3 reels you viewed in the Abel series, which is nice if you are trying to balance a slightly heavier rod or prefer greater grip weight feel. Conversely, if the rod is uber light for it's size designation, the Super Series might be overkill. There is 1/3 - 1/2 of an oz. difference between TR and SDF of similar designations, with SDF being the middle weight of the three reels. In reference to your response to earlier questions; If you want to learn to palm a reel and think you will enjoy it fishing 5wt class waters then the TR might be a consideration, if you don't want to risk the learning curve and intend on fishing 5 wt appropriate waters with corresponding fish size, you may wish to consider the drag option of Super or SDF. Without question, all three reels are top tier offerings in their classes, but the most technically advanced of the group is the SDF. I own all three reels for different applications and weight classes, where they all excel at their jobs. When I learned to fish, all there was were click pawl dragless reels, you learned to palm for drag, it's a skill that I don't regret learning, but without a doubt when fly fishing employed a drag system, arguably borrowing the concept from conventional tackle, it changed the game of being able to bring larger fish to net more expediently and ethically, a fish that takes a click pawl reel to it's backing is not going to be subdued in as timely a fashion. I still love click pawl reels but only emply them in smaller weight classes of rods. Good luck on your search!!
All good points and one I COMPLETELY missed in all this is the palming or lack of drag on the TR's!! LOL!! I could see using or learning for the 3wt but I dunno about on a 5wt. That being said, I dunno if I could justify spending 800 clams on a 3wt reel!!! Graphics or not. I hate it when my voice of reason kicks in because then the arguments ensue in my head that can be never ending. Sigh...oh boy.

Windwarrior

Reaction score
"I have the following:
H3 D 5wt
H3 F 3wt
Silver Label 4wt
And the Granger 6wt"

Starting from the premise that the custom graphics are a priority to you, that kind of limits you to the Abel offerings. For the H3D#5, SDF would be appropriate (as would Orvis's own Mirage, one of the Ross EVO's or Nautilus X) and for the #3 the Abel TR. Islander is a very good company, Ross Colorado is popular in this size as would be the newer Animas, personally I tend to use older CFO's on little rods but a current spring and pawl that does not get the attention it deserves is Douglas's, the Argus. Argus Fly Reel | Douglas Outdoors
Graphics aren't really a "must have" but they certainly look fantastic!!! LOL!! Mirage, yeah, about that......I have one already along with an Argus. Both are great reels. Love em both!! The Argus and the way it is built is stellar!!!!

I think the searching for another reel for graphics sake was at the beginning but now my little voice of reason is having an internal conflict with the "reasoning" portion of the old noodle upstairs.

Do people have overlap in reel sizes just because of graphics or just because??? Is that a thing or is it just me losing my mind here??? Hopefully not the latter. :D

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
No, you are not loosing your mind. I prefer reels to be labeled I, II, III, A, B, C, etc. rather than 4|5, 5|6. Invariably, line designated reel sizing is "wrong". When selecting a reel for a new rod, and I like each rod to have its own assigned reel and line, first I have a group of reels as in this thread that I regard as reliable and high quality. I select among the candidates by balancing weight, gravity neutral with the apex being where my forefinger naturally encircles the cork, appropriate capacity, matching performance for intended use and aesthetics. I happily fish reels from most all the makers mentioned in this thread and more.

Windwarrior

Reaction score
I too am no fan of spring loaded lever spool retention either. A little spring will eventually fail. I do prefer the captive, threaded knob system.
NOW I'm curious as to what you're referring to. Are you talking about the tiny release lever to unlock and slide out the spool or ???

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
NOW I'm curious as to what you're referring to. Are you talking about the tiny release lever to unlock and slide out the spool or ???
Bingo! Yes such mechanisms are traditional and don't fail regularly...some have been around for decades and are OK. But, I have seen them fail and the timing is never good.