White River Fly Shop Dogwood Canyon Fly Reel

awreis

Reaction score
Is this reel any good? I have looked around but havent found many reviews. Cabelas has them on sale right now. I need a new reel to replace the cheap one I thought would do fine but ended up breaking. I'm also looking into getting a new 6 weight rod so I would need a 4 and 6 weight reel. I'm also open to suggestions of other reels, just would like to keep it under $100.

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have two LL Bean Quest reels, they were around 50 bucks each and I have no complaints.

Some people on this forum seem to like the Piscifun reels, and I have been looking at those online but have never seen one in the flesh. Machined aluminum for less than $60 (Sword in a 6-wt) seems like a good deal. I believe they are a forum sponsor.

brownbass

Reaction score
Is this reel any good? I have looked around but havent found many reviews. Cabelas has them on sale right now. I need a new reel to replace the cheap one I thought would do fine but ended up breaking. I'm also looking into getting a new 6 weight rod so I would need a 4 and 6 weight reel. I'm also open to suggestions of other reels, just would like to keep it under $100.

I'm sorry, I gave you advice without considering your needs more. You are asking us to approve a reel that will most probably fail you at the worst possible time. The Lamson I recommended, I do own one and have it set up on a 6 weight. and it works just fine. It does cost more than the Dogwood Canyon reel but it will last longer with a better warranty. You can spend a lot of money on this sport. Spend it wisely.

Bill

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I gave you advice without considering your needs more. You are asking us to approve a reel that will most probably fail you at the worst possible time. The Lamson I recommended, I do own one and have it set up on a 6 weight. and it works just fine. It does cost more than the Dogwood Canyon reel but it will last longer with a better warranty. You can spend a lot of money on this sport. Spend it wisely.

Bill
Actually, if you look at it a bit differently, your suggestion of the Lamson Liquid for the OP is not really out of line.

the Liquid is light enough that depending on the 4 weight rod he could buy the 3 pack with two extra spools for well under $200 and use that reel on both rods.

That is what I would do, given the same need and budgetary limits.

But the LL Bean reels are pretty dependable as well.

Don

brownbass

Reaction score
I really wasn't apologizing for my suggestion. It was more for not trying to get a better idea of his budget needs. The BP reel sells for much less than the Liquid. I agree with you, for the money the Liquid is a very good reel.

Bill

awreis

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am aleays open to any suggestions. I have been fly fishing for a few years now and have used more budget friendly options in the past. You are probably right in going with a higher quality reel. Should last me a long time.

mjkirshner

Reaction score

If you'll have a 4 and a 6, you can probably get one reel and one spare spool. Allen ATS is machined and in the same range as the Liquid. But you can't go wrong with the Lamson either.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
That BP Dogwood looks so identical to a Cabela's Wind River that I am going to go out on a limb and say it is the exact same reel. The specs sure read the same. When I first started out I owned them in every size because Cabela's would blow them out around the holidays for $20ish. IMO they are worth at least what they cost. A very serviceable reel if you don't really need a smooth drag. I found them inconsistent and hard to reliably adjust after a half dozen uses. Did they cost me fish? No not really, but I found it annoying re-adjusting my drag all day long. There are a lot of other options if you are willing to spend about $100. Reels you won't feel the need to replace next spring.

Bad time of year for closeouts to shop the liquidators for good selection but I'd check them first. If you are confined to a lower price, check out Okuma. My first fly reel actually. I don't personally prefer the Okuma styling, but they have amazing drags at their price points. I sold mine for no other reason than appearance, to a forum member. He uses it to fish channel cats if that is any clue how the drag performs.

biker1usa

Reaction score
I bought one of these and it is total trash. Not even worth taking back for a refund or replacement. Go with a Lamson Liquid, much better reel and an unbeatable warranty.

brownbass

Reaction score
Going back to the Liquid. You can buy a pack that contains the reel with spool and to spare spools for around $179.00. That brings your price down to the cost of the Dogwood Canyon reel.

Bill

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
if your like me on a fixed income perhaps, you can buy from bass pro and go on their 6 pay plan. cabela's quit theirs many years ago but BP, makes it a little easier on us budget peeps.

YYCFly

Reaction score
IMO,

I think you should invest in better reels/rods than store brands like Cabela/Bass Pro. They have a nasty habit of not carrying replacements/extra for their gears.

I have the White River Hobbs Creek 5/6 & 7/8 reel and they NEVER carry the replacement spools on hand.