Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A reliable, tough saltwater reel for under $200? Is that possible?

Can anyone offer an opinion on this? I am looking at reels such as the Echo Bravo, Sage 2280 Reel, or even an Orvis Hydros SL. I am more interested in durability than low weight.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A reliable, tough saltwater reel for under $200? Is that possible?

Cheap saltwater fly reels that work - Fly Life Magazine

I’ve got a piscifun Sword. Haven’t had it long, but it seems quite nicely made.

Stay away from cast Aluminum reels. In my experience, those will corrode quickly. I have the Sage 1880 that is a cast Aluminum reel and predates 2280, which is also said to be made from cast Aluminum. My 1880 functions, but the paint is rough and it is showing signs of saltwater exposure on the casts parts. Cast Aluminum reels, to me anyway, look cheap from the beginning and their looks decline faster than the other alternative Aluminum designs.

The Allen Kraken is close to $200. Nice, well made reel that has been durable for me.

I don’t have any experience with the Hydros or the Echo reel.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Allen Kraken as Karstopo indicates may be the way to go. I have had nothing but good experiences with the Kraken reels and other Allen reel offerings. I would sign up for Allen's email list as they run specials several times a year. Their reels have a lifetime warranty and good customer service. Allen is a Forum sponsor.

4. Likes fq13 liked this post

If weight is no object, you might consider the Redington Behemoth (well named). I have one that I have used in salt water for a couple of years and it is still fine.

Here is just a thought. If raised your budget by only $100 to $300 your options really open up significantly. There are many great salt-reels in that $200-$300. In my honest opinion that extra $100 is well worth it.
    Quality Fly Fishing Reels at www.taylorflyfishing.com

7. Default Re: A reliable, tough saltwater reel for under $200? Is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by FredHerring View Post
    Can anyone offer an opinion on this? I am looking at reels such as the Echo Bravo, Sage 2280 Reel, or even an Orvis Hydros SL. I am more interested in durability than low weight.
    Tough and reliable but how much static drag do you want? And new and/or used? I picked up a new closeout at this size TFO BVK 4; big reel 4.75 spool and dry weight 9oz for 129.00 Sierra TP sold out but maybe others out there closeout...Korean Machined; its static drag that I measured was 5lbs tops and that was with a pliers...4lbs is more practical; however, I do not exceed 2-3 lbs fixed/static drag the rest when needed is hand/palm...it's well made for 129 bucks...you might find some used Billy Pate's near 200 and they are tough and reliable and heavy.
    Since heavy is not negative if you add look for 200to300 used and heavy the world of good salt is out there

8. Default Re: A reliable, tough saltwater reel for under $200? Is that possible?

I punched E buy it now 200-300 ...195 BVK 3 with extra spool and 300 Ross Canyon BG 5...there were others under 200 but still at auction including 3 Tibors Gulfstream and Riptide

Bvk is probably the least durable reel I know of. Behemoth is not very drop resistant either. The best option at this price range (imo) is the Danielsson F3W 7-10. It has the best sealing out of the various reels mentioned as well. It has a small drag knob though.

I use SA System 2s
    Used ones go for around 100 bucks
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

11. Thanks rfb700 thanked for this post

I actually have a SA System 2, and it is a brute. So yes, if I see a used one I will grab it.

How about the Echo Bravo? It is about $140 but does not look durable...

My local shop has a used Fin Nor #3 Anti Reverse. It is 12.25 oz so it is heavy, but I am OK with that, I think. However it is $324.95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast