Hatch Finatic Gen 2

hollisd

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a 4 Plus for my 9' #5 and wanted to check-in with Finatics.

I believe the first and possibly second gen have had issues with the drag getting water in and needing repair.

I try not to dunk my reels but more often than I care to admit I do set my reel underwater.

Since I'm only fishing for trout I assume I would be low risk but reliability is paramount.

The only criticism I've ever heard about Hatch apart from this is they're a touch heavy but almost universally balance well and look the part.

Are you happy fishing your Hatch and what reels, if any, do you like better? (s&s take the mic!)

Lastly my dream about an Asquith LP with a soft tip probably deserves a separate thread ;-)

dillon

Reaction score
I have a +5 and +7. As these reels are heavy the +4 would balance well with a 5 wt. rod. I have never had a problem with the drag getting stuck. One should remember to loosen the drag completely after use. This should keep it from freezing up. Finatics are great reels but there are many fine reels on the market. Nautilus, Abel and Ross are some of my other favorites.

steveid

Reaction score
Gen 2 should have any seal issues addressed. I really like my Hatch reels. I don’t have any smaller than 7+, but if you like the look, capacity and weight, go for it. Quality company to work with.

zjory

Reaction score
Bought an early gen 2 3+ that had seal issues. Hatch customer repair was a pleasure to deal with. Replaced entire internals and sent me a hat. It’s been solid since replaced last year. Also have a gen 1 4+ that’s has been flawless for last 3 years.

osseous

Reaction score
I favor the Nautilus- a little less "look at my HATCH" factor that I always feel when I'm using mine...maybe it's all the movie placement? They just seem to be the must-have reel. Maybe a little much at this point~ They have a nice drag on the trout sized reels-very smooth. And I can speak from experience when I say you can bend one beyond recognition- so the handle won't even turn- and bend it back and it will still work fine. My reel kind of wishes I would have just dunked it over and over. Waterboarding would have been a hell of a lot less torture than what that thing's been through.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbright

Reaction score
I have a 4, 5, and two 7s, they have been very reliable. The 4 fits nice on my sage x 590. If you like the way they feel and how it is on your rod, I would not hesitate in getting one.

JDR

Reaction score
When it gets down to a comparison of how well each reel is suited for the task, I think your top choices are all pretty equally respected. We all have our favorites, but objectively those reels are all going to do the job. So, if performance is equal, it seems to be a matter of design aesthetics and color. You are the only one who knows what makes you happy.

fffl

Reaction score
After fishing several brands of reels I got around to Hatch Gen II . They are the best reels I have used. I have 3+ and 4+, the 4+ in large arbor and mid arbor , mid arbor for my 6 weights. With the reel sizes I mentioned it takes care of my 3,4,5,6 wts. and euro nymphing needs. Couldn't be happier with my decision to go with Hatch.

hollisd

Reaction score
Curious if anyone opted for the 3 Plus (3.25" / 4.8 oz) over the 4 Plus (3.425 / 4.9) for their 905?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I fish a Finatic (gen 1) 4+ on my NRX#5, a great solid reel and a spot on balance. Dillon and others have mentioned Nautilus, Ross and Abel...the usual high end suspects. New to me for this season is Taylor Revolution Z perfectly balancing their Truth #5 and for my Igniter #5 I have just yesterday set up a new Sage Spectrum MAX in matching Chipotle color no less. Today we have no shortage of well designed and built reels from America and Korea that, thus fare, barring encounters of the rock kind, I have found reliable and a pleasure to fish.

To respond to hollised's inquiry though, yes, Hatch 4+ is a terrific reel for many a 9'/#5 and its closest direct competitor would be Ross Evo R. To ossious's point, if anyone checks out the reel I'm fishing in a social Blue Ribbon environment like the Fork (or in the upper end parking lot), I do hope I'm sporting some unrecognizable departure from convention...like the carbon framed new Taylor Z. If I'm fishing a Hatch there, no one will notice, I'll just blend right in.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I really like reel threads. Yup, I do. Members often offer up personal experience and unlike rod threads, there is a greater amount of fact, less holding back on any negatives, and, a lesser amount of opinion thrown around (not that there is anything wrong with opinion). Like rods, I favor good reels, and not especially specific to brand loyalty. Early on in my fishing....a few 35-40 years back...we didn't have (without really stepping up to high end custom private makers) the terrific options we have today...we had basic Pflueger, Hardy, Cortland, Fenwick, etc. click and pawl reels....My first was a Pflueger...then I got serious and saved up and bought a Hardy....in the early 1980's Hardy's and Orvis reels were the mass commercial benchmarks and I began my guiding with them....mid to late 1980's Steve Abel transitioned out of aerospace machining and started making reels (although he had made his own and a few for friends before commercially available)....when Abel hit the market...almost all guides I knew at the time went to Abels....I guess that's when I got hung up on Abel's and still yet today they comprise the majority of my reels. Although Ross caught my attention with the San Miguel around 1990 or so, and the original Ross Colorado was a nice light little small water reel, and the Ross Gunnison was a standard for Guides client rods and even their personal rods. As rod design started changing for trout rods and becoming faster and more powerful, reels followed suit and drags became more standard fair. Today we undoubtedly have some of the finest and capable reels ever produced, Ross is now a top tier maker, Abel still is, Hatch, Nautilus, Galvan, Bauer, and many, many, other makers can arguably present a top offering.

In my personal collection I still have Hardy, Ross, Abel, Hatch, and Galvan....for 5wt class reels I have Hardy, Ross, and Abel....my Hatch is 6wt (5 plus) and my one Galvan is a 3wt. The Hardy's are reserved for my more classic rods. The reels I fish on Modern rods are Ross, Abel, Hatch, and Galvan. My personal favorite is the Abel SD/SDF series, followed VERY closely by Hatch Finatic, Ross Evo R & LTX, and Abel "New" Super (2017+), although I still have great fondness for Abel TR's (originals), Abel PT. 5, Abel Super "N's", and Ross San Miguels....which all still get fished occasionally. To Answer the original post....I have found my Hatch to be in the top tier mix and solidly reliable and of very high standard and quality. I do not own a Nautilus but have examined them, cast them, and fished them, and they are also VERY nice reels.

Personally, I think we are likely spoiled by all the quality choices available to us as anglers today....and we likely must choose for ourselves what makes us most comfortable....luckily, there are fewer bad choices today. I don't think a guy could miss choosing between any of the top makers, or for that matter, most of the incoming new brands of quality design and manufacture either.

I'm sure I'll add a few more reels before I call it quits and for me, to keep it simple and somewhat standardized in my quiver, and not loose what's left of my mind researching alternatives, my plan is to stick with Abel, Ross, and Hatch from here on out. I'm comfortable with that, I'm satisfied with those makers for selection purposes, and feel I can do so without having to spend the time needed to garner trust in the reliability of other less familiar to me products. FWIW, Your mileage may vary and likely will.

mka

Reaction score
Curious if anyone opted for the 3 Plus (3.25" / 4.8 oz) over the 4 Plus (3.425 / 4.9) for their 905?
Hollisd, my brother has a 3 plus (large arbor) on his 5wt Winston and is very pleased with the combo. He had the reel loaded with gel spun to maximize backing on it. However, neither he or I ever go into our backing on the streams we frequent so the length of backing is of no consequence.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
What do Abel, Ross, Hatch and Nautilus have in common? (Besides quality design and build) Excellent aspect ratios. Thus their width to depth to diameter measurements represent optimal application to angling circumstances. This, along with preferred balancing weight for an intended rod, is the fist thing to seek in any new reel.

luj333

Reaction score
I've got a lot of gen Is and IIs and have not had any problem with them except once on my 1+. I wore down the drag system or something but it stopped working as well as it should have and I sent it to them and they immediately replaced it for free.

jujim

Reaction score
My son just purchased a first generation 3.Seems like a heavy Galvan. They are pretty expensive.I've been using some older lighter reels ,which for my purpose 1-2-3-4 wt rods ,the price can't be beat.And the look way cooler.Also have an older 3/4 Nautilus which is pretty nice and light. Cheers,Chet

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My son just purchased a first generation 3.Seems like a heavy Galvan. They are pretty expensive.I've been using some older lighter reels ,which for my purpose 1-2-3-4 wt rods ,the price can't be beat.And the look way cooler.Also have an older 3/4 Nautilus which is pretty nice and light. Cheers,Chet
I fish both Hatch and Galvan Torque...they are nothing alike beyond being fly reels. Hatch's drag is sealed, Torque's is not. The Hatch spool is retained by a failure proof, threaded captive knob, the Galvan by a spring loaded push button. For me, Hatch works from trout to bonefish, Galvan Torque, trout only. Yes, Hatch reels are heavy and are arguably overkill for light line trout rods. The smallest I fish is a 4+ on a big river 5-weight where fish have room to run. Sure, on extra light line small stream rods, a classic spring and pawl actuated reel is adequate and perhaps even more appropriate.

edreilly

Reaction score
I bought a Gen 1 4+ and loved it. When the Gen 1s went on close out I bought another 4+ (one has a 5wgt Rio Gold, other SA Trout) and a 3+.

I like the 4+ on 9 foot 5s as well as 8 1/3 foot 5 weights. The 3+ balances a 9 foot 4 weight well although I have also happily used it on an 8 1/2 foot 4.

To answer the earlier question I tried the 3+ on both an 8 1/2 and 9 foot 5 and to me, it is too light. When I hold the rod in my hand, it wants to go tip down. It is better on the 8 1/2 but i prefer the 4+ on a 5 weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

onthehunt

Reaction score
I have/had Hatch Reels for the past 8 to 10 years. Everything from the 3+ to the 9+. They are phenomenal reels! Personally, I have not had an issue with them. Hatch and Andrew are great to work with and I like what they represent. I will be needing more reels in the next year and I am torn. While I have no reason to switch brands, I am attracted to; Abel, Bauer, Nautilus, Tibor. More than likely, reel selection will be based on the rods I go with.

My personal beef with those brands are.......

Abel.......beautiful, sexy and now, absolutely out of their minds with pricing. When they basically doubled their price a few years ago, that is when I pretty much moved on from them.
Bauer.......nice looking, smooth reels. Just not a fan of the silent retrieve.
Nautilus.......same deal as Bauer reels.
Tibor.......absolutely LOVE the Arctic White finish. Yet again, crazy in terms of pricing.

Another reel that I feel is worth mentioning, the new Orvis Mirage and Mirage LT. Great reels! However (and this is just my dumb personality), I will only put them on an Orvis stick.

Getting back to the OP, you really can not go wrong with Hatch. The only thing I wish they would do is port the interior part of the arbor. That way, should your backing get wet, it can dry more efficiently.

osseous

Reaction score
CCF-X2 has a wonderful sound, fyi

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk