first brown trout reel! haha!

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Alright, i have a lot of stuff I'm needing tp buy this summer including a tent and some camping gear. I think i have my rod figured out. and being i've been out of flyfishing with a fly rod since 2011, i'm needing some help picking out a good reel for for the money. I'm used to reels for kings and stripers and no longer have those outfits so i'm gonna be buying my 1st reel for the little guys, browns and bows.

I really like a large Arbor reel and Orvis seems to make one, but geese, only 79.00? Ya get what ya pay for but i really still want a large arbor. plus and extra spool.

Don't have a ton of money so i was thinking of a lamson guru again. I had a 9wt. yrs ago. they are a slick looking fly reel. I need to consider reel construction & metal works. Anything else i need to consider please let me know. Much appreciated.

Thanks

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have used the Lamson's and like them.…… You know where I'm going there right?

For trout fishing I've used the following on single hand fly rods all work great.

Hardy: Featherweight - Princess - Marquis #'s 5,6 and 7 - St. George 3 3/4" - Perfect 3 3/8"
Orvis: CFO - 2, 123, III and IV
Martin: MG-3
Pflueger: Model 1495

I still have most of those and also one of the Sage Click reels in the 5/6 size.

If you think you might like a traditional look the Hardy Marquis reels sell pre owned on the auction site reasonable. #6 or #7 for western trout. They are a clicker with exposed rim for additional braking. If you decide to shop used then look to the top of the 'Fly Reels' sub forum for the Sticky Thread 'Tips for Buying Used Reels' that thread covers most of the things to avoid when considering a used reel.

Ard

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Grizz, There are so many reels at such varied prices but...we have two Forum Sponsors that produce fine reels and sometimes offer a Forum discount to members; Allen Fly Fishing and Taylor Fly Fishing. Check them out.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I would probably look for a used reel; buying reels used doesn't (normally) present the same risks as buying a used rod. Hop on Ebay, type in a brand you like and start looking for a deal. But based on what you've said, if you want a new reel, I would see if you can find a Ross Cimarron II on a leftover closeout. It's not what I'd call a traditional looking reel, but it performs well (the drag had no problem putting the brakes on what was at least a 26" Rainbow that I landed last year at the Miracle Mile!) and Ross has great customer service, not that I've ever needed to send a reel back to them. I'm sure there are lots of fine options, but I'm primarily a "Ross guy" and so that's the one that came to mind. And since you mentioned browns, yeah, it'll handle those just fine too (also caught on the Miracle Mile)...

Attachments

Last edited:

Grizz900

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
thanks for them beautiful pics. Does anyone have anything to say about the Orvis Clearwater ll? i read a review on it and the guy gave the reel very high marks for a reel of that price.

Orvis Clearwater II Fly Reel Review | demystifly

there was another review on it and gave the same rating but anyway, I like the way that reel looks. But there is so much info on reels that i need to know, but for trout, i still don't want to be stuck with a cheap reel that messes up your line because of the way the reel was made. It's not like i'm going after tarpon, and using my once owned ross canyon 5 on kings. i just want a good reel under 200