Ross LTX vs Evolution R

sgp

Reaction score
Hi All,

Both look great and I’m sure perform beautifully but I just can’t decide. Is there much difference between the two reels? Need a new reel for my Radian 590.

Simon

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Both are great reels. Things to consider are balance on the rod and size. Evo LTX 4-5 is 3.48" diameter- 4.29oz dry Evo LTX 5-6 is 3.83" diameter- 4.65oz dry... /... Evo R 4-5 is 3.53" diameter -4.82 oz dry Evo R 5-6 is 3.78" diameter and 5.03 oz. dry......the Radian 905 reel seat is positioned so that any reel greater than 3.6" diameter will stick out past the butt plate - some don't mind but if you set it down on the butt it will rest on the reel.

There is another thread specifically about 905 Radian reel matches here:

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...9-5wt-scott-radian.html?highlight=reel+Radian

The two reels I would personally recommend as best matches are the Evo R 4-5 and the Hatch 4+.....I use both on my personal 905 Radian and find them good matches with nice balance and do not protrude beyond the butt plate.

I'd take your Radian with you down to a shop and try a few to find a match you like best. Good luck!

osseous

Reaction score
The Evolution R suffers from too much spool flex- get the LTX.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

proheli

Reaction score
The LTX does seemed to be machined to a little tighter tolerances than the R, if someone asked me. I’ve got both, the LTX being a little lighter, the R a little stouter. It seems to me there is a little more room on the R, so if you get the LTX 4/5 spool it up and make sure you have enough space for line and all the backing you want. The LTX 5/6 is def bigger, and there is room for a 6wt line and plenty of backing on it. If the extra hundred bucks doesn’t matter, I’d get the R 4/5. The drag wheel is neat and I think it just has a little more room for the 5wt line. Either way, get the extra thin backing.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I use, very happily, the Evo LTX 4|5 on my little 8'4"/#4 GS. It balances just right...clearly it would be to light and insufficient in capacity for a 9'/#5.

osseous

Reaction score
The 5/6 weighs a bit less than the Evo R 4/5 and holds a little more backing- Nice combo

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I happen to like these ross Evo's a lot and am fishing 3 of them. On my NRX#5 though I have a Hatch 4+ it weighs more and balances better. On the Henry's Fork there is a small but skilled contingent that fishes Radian rather than the ubiquitous Sages and they mount Hatch 4+ on them.

osseous

Reaction score
4+ is an excellent choice with a superior drag system to the LTX.

proheli

Reaction score
I went with the Evo R on a 904 because for me the LTX 4/5 seemed a little light, and the 5/6, is noticeably bigger in size. It’s not heavy, but it has size and mass and it makes rotating the rod around its long axis more effort. Splitting hairs here, but I can tell. The Evo R gives a little more space, lets the rod rotate torsionally a little easier than the 5/6 and has a smidge more weight, if your rod is mid or tip heavy, for balancing purposes.

hollisd

Reaction score
As someone who has a grey fog 5 Plus on a 907 Radian, I vote the Hatch 4 Plus over Ross. You will inevitably eye hump the grey on Scott's blanks besides the 4 Plus is truly the perfect 9' 5 weight reel.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Just speaking aesthetically, I agree the matt grey Hatch is a beautiful match but so is the LTX in Scott reel seat matching black and Scott burnt orange matching drag knob anodization...and it is on purpose coordinated by these two Montrose CO neighbors.

W19 167 BSC GS-Evo LTX vs.jpg

osseous

Reaction score
Another Scott/Ross aesthetic marriage~ that landed this 21" Rainbow later that day. Sweet click and pawl music was made...

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Just speaking aesthetically, I agree the matt grey Hatch is a beautiful match but so is the LTX in Scott reel seat matching black and Scott burnt orange matching drag knob anodization...and it is on purpose coordinated by these two Montrose CO neighbors.

View attachment 18683
Man, that’s a sweet-looking outfit... Thanks for sharing the image. Looking forward to seeing mine in the flesh!!