Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Reddington

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Teton

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

ksbrowntrout2

Reaction score
I did one of these posts on the fly rod forum, but what now im interested to see what everyone's favorite reel is.....THERE ARE A MILLION BRANDS, so please bear with me....

Pocono

Reaction score
For me it's:

1. Abel
2. Lamson
3. Ross

But that's from the persepctive of, primarily, a trout fisherman (a few excursions for bonefish / permit / stripers).

We'll be in Patagonia in 2 weeks fishing for larger trout than what we get here in the Northeast and what's going on the trip with us is two Abel 5N's with extra spools for our 8'6"/9'0" 5 wts. and two Lamson Litespeeds with extra spools for our 9'0" 6 wts. The extra spools are for sink-tip lines (200 grn for the 5 wts. and 250 grn for the 6 wts.). Now, if we can only catch some fish! :icon_bigg

If it was saltwater that we fished most, then from what we've heard from our striper buddies, Tibor would probably be up at the top. But they all like Lamson for saltwater, too.

Cooler00

Reaction score
I chose Nautilus based on limited experience, best I've personally handled so far, although I haven't tried most of the selection above.

Scott

MikeG

Reaction score
1. Nautilus
2. Loop
3. Galvan
4. Ross
5. Lamson

Top five of my favorite reels. I go after big fish mostly and the drag systems on the Nautilus and loops are awesome. With trout/small stream fishing your reel is there to hold the line and look pretty. In big game fishing the reel is there to help you fight the fish, drag is very important.

BlueDun

Reaction score
Here we go again - I can't pick just one!.......although if I have to, I'd pick Tibor. Their reels work well across the spectrum of sizes and they look good, too.

Joni

Reaction score
I agree Mary, I also have the Spring Creek and it is a SWEEEET reel.
But, My favorite isn't on the list.

German made VOSSELER

Davo

Reaction score
Well I chose Orvis due to that is what I own the most of. I also have a couple of Ross Reels that I'm quite happy with. I'm in agreement with others about Tibor when it comes to saltwater and big game fish. I use their reels for Bone fish and Tarpon.

KRD

Reaction score
I went Reddington. For the money they make fine reels and the Rise is pretty sweet.

Jackster

Reaction score
I'll take one of these... as soon as I get my bail-out!

In the meantime I'll stick with this, bought on sale when they were being blown out!

Made in the U.S.A. too!

pszy22

Reaction score
1. Ross (classic models)
2. Orvis
3. Pflueger (sentimental favorite)

I'm an old dog, and I really prefer to use regular arbor reels. The large arbor reels just don't look right to me. Seeing how the only exercise I get is reeling in the occasional fish, a few extra cranks ain't going ot kill me. I don't think I've ever lost a single fish because I couldn't reel fast enough.

imxer

Reaction score
Hi PSZY

Another "old dog" here who has to do most of his fishing from a drift boat these days. Standard arbor reels were resulting in too much line in the bottom of the boat , causing more damage due to stepping on it etc. The large arbor seems to help keep things cleaned up a little better. Nothing against
auto reels but am too old to change my ways to that extent.

imxer

Chris Mason

Reaction score
Don't forget about "Hatch" reels. I own a 3plus for my 4wt and a 5plus for my 5wt. They are not cheap, but great reels!

Oliver507

Reaction score
I have been fly fishing since 1960 started on Bream and pushed on to Trout
at the exalted age of 14. The first trout trip (1964) included one (1) 9" brook trout out of Gingercake Fork off of Steeles Creek. The sortee also included my first cigar, first drink of liquor (Burbon whiskey) and becoming friends with Dewie McCall the local game warden, for the area. My favorite reels include:
1) Ross-San Miguel, 2) Hardy Sovereign 2000, 3) Abel Super series and I should add these are in no particular order of preference.

thelumberjack

Reaction score
I have a Ross USA reel and a Lamson, and have found that the drag system, modest pricing and large arbor of the Lamson make it a far superior reel.

Joni

Reaction score
I have a Ross USA reel and a Lamson, and have found that the drag system, modest pricing and large arbor of the Lamson make it a far superior reel.
Are you talking the Konic?

Jackster, those reels are awesome. I like PRETTY reels, I guess that is why I am so drawn to Abel.

Here is the Air Flo....kinda cool and fun large arbor and decent price:

MikeG

Reaction score
Hey Joni, do you got a link to a where I can get an Air Flo reel from? Proshop or company website?