Danielsson...?

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I am considering a new 8/9-wt reel, and the Danielsson popped up on my radar. The reviews I've seen are very good, and the price is good, too, but I cannot seem to find anything about how they are made. Are they cast or machined? The Danielsson has much greater backing capacity than anything in the price range, and seems to have a very good sealed drag, but I can't find out much more.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
I met Erik Orre, one of Danielsson's designers back in March. He's a knowledgeable man, a fine fisher and has been helpful to me in my enquiries. Maybe if you email them F.A.O. Erik you'll get the info you want from the horse's mouth.

You don't say which model you are considering, they have several in the 8/9 capacity range, including an anti-reverse model where the handle can be used as a brake (see the Control model).
I'd be amazed if any of their reels are die-cast. Those I handled were all high quality and they reduce the cost by only supplying direct from the factory.
If you recognise a similarity between their Original series and some Loop reels, that's because Danielsson made them for Loop originally. :)
Best of luck finding the right reel for your needs.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Google their web site for info...I just ordered a H5D 11-14 for use in salt KW for Permit Tarpon mainly for the size 4.64 diameter/9.4 oz and quick take up and direct, factory priceing. Whilst their site indicates this reel is suitable for blue water fish I will used it for flats site fishing never more than 5lbs fixed drag. I have used their NymphW in fresh for trout in Michigan on 4wt TXL. I like the originality of their design and their cnc work juxtaposed their pricing...particularly their pricing since I'm semi-retired and not as flush as when I purchased my Abels.

flytie09

Reaction score
Danielsson are machined aluminum...not cast. They are known as one of the best values on the market today and get high marks from the small circle of guys that have one in the US. Heard great things about their customer service as well.. They sell direct from the factory in Sweden on their website and you can save some on the VAT tax too.

bonefish41

Reaction score
It's Friday afternoon and it just arrived by US Post had to sign for it...it's not Henry S&S ford's color but a semi-gloss silver/grey...it's big and light...it will get its trial in late October KW then mid-November Pere Marquette.View attachment 18718View attachment 18719...lovely cnc work and Anodizing

JDR

Reaction score
I own several Danielsson reels in different sizes. Until I bought a used Ross, Danielsson was the only reel brand I owned. As said above, they are fully machined aluminum. They are tough. strong reels, and very smooth. The drag has a lot of adjustment and the drag disks can be realigned to give you more or less total drag. The spools attach with the most positive, foolproof system I have seen on any reel. Though, it an be a bit fiddly until you get the hang of it. Customer service is excellent, taking only a week to get from Sweden to your door. Since you have just received your new reel, this might be redundant information, but maybe another curious individual can benefit.

pati

Reaction score
Hi

I have their LW and FW and used to own an Original Nymph. They are brilliant reels, in particular FW, and they are on par at least with my Galvan, Lamson or Abel.

In terms of performance and value for money, I don’t think the FW can be surpassed...

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I have a couple of L5Ws, the 6nine and the 8twelve. Like others above, I'm a big fan.

Some things I like that haven't been mentioned above and/or aren't on the website...

1. Honest specs! The actual weight of the reels matches what's on the company's site exactly (I find it frustrating that so many companies list inaccurate specs on their sites--and I'm not talking just one or two-tenths of an ounce difference). I can't verify whether the backing capacities are accurate (the shop that put on backing for me just eyeballed it and then couldn't tell me the exact amount), but I have no reason to think they aren't.

2. The reel is great at free spinning. Not the bad kind where you get a bird's nest, but you can pick up excess line quickly by spinning the edge of the spool as it will make quite a few rotations.

3. Even when the drag is off, there's just enough resistance to prevent a bird's nest from forming.

I do think the handle on the 6nine is a bit undersized and wish it was larger; the one on the 8twelve is larger and more normal. Bottom line, Danielssons are a great value (not cheap, but terrific reels that happen to be [relatively] inexpensive). And the customer service is great. Each time I ordered, it was shipped the next day (the same day from the company's perspective as I ordered in the middle of their night), tracking was provided and the reels arrived in about 8 days.

bonefish41

Reaction score
"Honest specs! The actual weight of the reels matches what's on the company's site exactly" ...just weighed on US postal scale my H5D 11-14 fully loaded with 300yds 80 Braid and 100yds 65 Braid topshot(I use for backing Diawa's inexpensive 4 strand) and 12 wt SA ...12oz...

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
"Honest specs! The actual weight of the reels matches what's on the company's site exactly" ...just weighed on US postal scale my H5D 11-14 fully loaded with 300yds 80 Braid and 100yds 65 Braid topshot(I use for backing Diawa's inexpensive 4 strand) and 12 wt SA ...12oz...
Hmmm. Did you weigh it before spooling it up? That reel is supposed to weigh 9.6 oz empty. My backing and line normally don't add 2.4 oz, but then I'm not putting on 400 yards of backing either. What do you intend to fish for with that reel?

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Since you have just received your new reel, this might be redundant information, but maybe another curious individual can benefit.
Wasn't me. Musta been someone who looks like me.:D Unless bonefish41 doesn't look like me, as it seems that he just got one. However, I have not ordered one yet (still falling asleep at night pondering it...), and your comments are a lot of help. I am looking at the L5W6nine, as I plan to load it with an 8-wt sink-tip line that will do both fresh- and saltwater duty, and it seems like the 6nine has a lot of backing capacity. The F3W7ten might have enough capacity with gelspun, but the weight difference is only about 1/4 ounce and the lower price is not enough to matter. It may come down to whether I want a black or clear finish, but it will most likely be the L5W. It's interesting that you mention Ross, because the other option I am considering is the Ross Animas. The Ross is lighter but has quite a bit less backing capacity; but it would be fine with gelspum or maybe that Hatch PE. The Ross has a more attractive design, but I'm not a huge fan of that big copper-colored drag knob; the Danielsson has a typical "Swedish" understated style. It's not flashy, but doesn't look cheap either. I think someone called it a Volvo of fly reels, and that seems about right. The look is not my #1 concern, but it doesn't not matter. No one wants a reel that looks like cheap junk, but neither the Ross nor the Danielsson look like junk. If anyone is familiar with both the Animas and the L5W, I would love to get input on a comparison between them.

pati

Reaction score
The look of the Danielsson will never go out of fashion now! It s been there for about 20 years and I still like it!

bonefish41

Reaction score
Hmmm. Did you weigh it before spooling it up? That reel is supposed to weigh 9.6 oz empty. My backing and line normally don't add 2.4 oz, but then I'm not putting on 400 yards of backing either. What do you intend to fish for with that reel?
Principally salt Tarpon and Permit KW on an 11wt Method for wind days 20 kts flats sight fishing...spool diameter, quality and price... my Abel 4Ns are 14 oz loaded but have a diameter of 4.125 not 4.64. I could have used twine for a filler and just spooled 200 yds...and I use 12wt SA Tarpon line ...it's got big capacity. I favor quick take up for Tarpon and particularly Permit as they will at times come back quickly and I'm getting slow in me dotage. BTW my Super 9 loaded 4.125 diameter is 10.5 oz

camelbrass

Reaction score
Funnily enough Danielesson reels came up in discussions a couple of months ago amongst some of the guys who are much more accomplished GT fishermen than I am. The general consensus is that they’re nicely made and well designed reels. Great for Tarpon and Salmon but don’t have the sheer stopping power required for GTs.

Regards,

Trevor

bonefish41

Reaction score
Once you've had it on the water--and hooked a large fish!--I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how it performed. Am considering one for targeting GTs.
For my methodology I'm sure it will perform. My methodology is flats and skiff and flats no channel/deep water and 16-20 lb tippet. I use palm/hand on spool to augment 4lb static for all fish. My largest fly caught fish a Tarpon at 125 taped weight was caught on an old, largest Teton with about 2lb reel drag and lots of palming. For me it's not the drag per se it's the strength of the spool spindle/axel.
But if GT fishing is wading flats holding off from deep water and 30-80 lb tippet and 20 to 40 lb of fixed drag problematic. But GT skiff fishing with 20-30 lb tippet and 5-8lbs static no reel problem IMHO...my only experience in a GT like experience was a 80 lb Amberjack in 40 feet of water, conventional gear, on 30 lb Ande IGFA...pulled the fish off the junk reef with the engine, fought it in clean water and I was in my late 30ies and only did it once that damn jack circled the boat so many times I got dizzy and had to sit down...now in my late 70ies I can barely handle a 60lb Tarpon. I can only imagine what it would be like to exit the skiff wade and hook up a 80-100plus Tarpon.... finding deep water with 200 yards out...finding a Bull or Hammer...then ...

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
But if GT fishing is wading flats holding off from deep water and 30-80 lb tippet and 20 to 40 lb of fixed drag problematic.
It's this (wading flats). And I have no experience fishing for GTs, or anything close to their size/power. I do already have what I think is an appropriate reel, but am thinking about a backup and in that regard the price of the Danielsson is quite attractive. Thanks.

camelbrass

Reaction score
You may get lucky and hook that trophy GT in the middle of a nice big sand flat, it does happen, and you’ll stop him given you have 200 yards of backing. Even better if you’re on a skiff. You may even do it on 20lb tippet.

More than likely though he’ll be patrolling the edges or ambushing in and around his bit of reef or coral head. Even with 80lb tippet, if he can get 50 metres on you you’re buried.

It’s fun.

Regards,

Trevor

bonefish41

Reaction score
You may get lucky and hook that trophy GT in the middle of a nice big sand flat, it does happen, and you’ll stop him given you have 200 yards of backing. Even better if you’re on a skiff. You may even do it on 20lb tippet.

More than likely though he’ll be patrolling the edges or ambushing in and around his bit of reef or coral head. Even with 80lb tippet, if he can get 50 metres on you you’re buried.

It’s fun.

Regards,

Trevor
CBT: If the diehard GT anglers are using more than 15lb fixed drag and tippets 40 and more... what reel seats are they using and that's a lot of torque/stress placed on a single, fixed spool axle as compared to a conventional reel double fixed spool axle or is the heavy tippet's primary function that of abrasion and not conventional gear heavy drag