Holiday Sales

dipaoro

Reaction score
I have decided on the reel... Ross Evolution LTX 5/6 for my G Loomis NRX Lp 5w.

My question is do these reels go on sale on Black Friday or in December?

Looking to pull the trigger soon...hahah.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Typically reels and rods don't go on sale unless they're being discontinued and closed out. Instead a shop may offer a free or deeply discounted fly line with a reel purchase.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I have decided on the reel... Ross Evolution LTX 5/6 for my G Loomis NRX Lp 5w.

My question is do these reels go on sale on Black Friday or in December?

Looking to pull the trigger soon...hahah.
If you should decide to revisit your decision of model choice - I'll share an exceptional deal currently going on:

Ross Evolution R Reel | Fly Fishing Reels 2017 | MRFC.COM

– Madison River Fishing Company

I have one on the way myself. I suspect this sale will be short lived and sold out quickly as soon as the word gets out.

osseous

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what that's about...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder what that's about...

Me too.....do tell? :). Since I've not seen it elsewhere...I'm guessing the shelves runnith over with Evo R's and the San Miguel allocations are likely based on sold inventory.....I highly doubt they are dropping the brand from their store....but perhaps the other way around if they aren't producing retail numbers of sold units....I dunno...I also don't see the R being discontinued yet....but again...dunno.....but at the price I wasn't letting it slip by...I wasn't going to pony up for the 3-4 at full boat....but at sub Animas pricing....I was in without needing much persuasion. Black 3/4 Arrived today...perfect, boxed, all receipts, thank you note, sale flyer, and a future purchase discount coupon....hard to beat I'd say. It's about to get spooled and introduced to it's new partner GS844.

osseous

Reaction score
My guess is that it's up for re-design. Time will tell...

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I too bought the 3/4 in black. Their online ordering website was terrible (or maybe its my old browser). It took me an hour to order with a different ship address than the billing address. Fields would not show up such as "Last name" and I kept getting errors. I eventually set up a account (I had one at one time and I surmise the new web format erased it). I eventually got it to work and its on its way. The reel will replace the very old Scientific Angler System 1 click and pawl (which will be relocated) on a 8ft and/or 8.5ft 4wt. MRFC sent me a sale flyer that only listed the 5/6 reel and I have enough reels in that size. A thumbs up to Coutlaw for the additional sale info. I have the Evo R 7/8 and its a really nice reel.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
The website ordering is a bit goofy, but if you are using paypal it's a single button and none of the fill out of anything....just transfers right over, one click and done.

I've gotten to a point that I almost use paypal for everything purchased online.....no chance of credit card info getting compromised or duplicate billing and paypal is almost like American Express....any dispute is immediately handled and almost always favors the buyer in outcome.

If you put your paypal settings where you want them it's also likely the most secure payment transfer method. Never thought I'd embrace anything "modern" but this is one thing that makes life easier and eliminates a pile of hassle.

falcon53

Reaction score
I purchased the Evo R in 3/4, super price , free shipping, came in 3 days. I looked at the 4/5 model and saw no reason to pay a 50.00 upcharge (on sale prices) seeing that the spool widths are identical, the diameters are 3.43 on the 3/4 and 3.53 on the 4/5. Backing capacity for WF4 is 85 yards 20# Dacron on the 3/4 vs 100 yards on the 4/5. It is a little odd that Ross designed and manufactured the reels with similar specs. I suspect the 3/4 may be discontinued in the future.

Last edited:

brownbass

Reaction score
Feathercraft has a sale going on. You save a certain dollar amount according to the amount you spend. You could save $50.00 on your reel.
This is a holiday (Halloween) sale use coupon code SPOOKY19. That's not a bad deal. The sale ends on Thursday.

Bill

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I purchased the Evo R in 3/4, super price , free shipping, came in 3 days. I looked at the 4/5 model and saw no reason to pay a 50.00 upgrade seeing that the spool widths are identical, the diameters are 3.43 on the 3/4 and 3.53 on the 4/5. Backing capacity for WF4 is 85 yards 20# Dacron on the 3/4 vs 100 yards on the 4/5. It is a little odd that Ross designed and manufactured the reels with similar specs. I suspect the 3/4 may be discontinued in the future.
Agreed. In another thread, I believe the San Miguel one, I stated that I thought the manufacturers missed the target by not having greater separation in weight class sizing, far too close in dimensions and weight across each of their series to differentiate adequately and to balance different weight rods appropriately. I don't know what they were thinking, Ross Evo LTX 3/4 is 3.42" and 4.2 oz....then the Evo LTX 4/5 is 3.48" and 4.29 oz....seriously? .06" diameter difference and .07 oz. weight spread... Why bother? For some reason, yes I know the large arbor preference thing...but makers today are geared toward the worlds preference for keeping diameters as large as possible and weight as light as possible....but do we really need dinner plate sized reels on 5wts and salad plates on 3wts? 3.5"ish 3 wt reels just aren't appealing to me, but I'm older and likely in today's minority....I remember when 3" 5-6oz 5wt reels were perfectly normal and the standard of the day.

eastfly66

Reaction score
....I remember when 3" 5-6oz 5wt reels were perfectly normal and the standard of the day.
The funny or not so funny thing about that is it was not really all that long ago yet we talk about it as if it was in the 1800's !

falcon53

Reaction score
I am mounting the black Evo R 3/4 reel on a 8 1/2 4wt Gary Loomis Edge fly rod. Its not out of proportion and seems to balance nicely. It will be a good combination for its intended use. I understand and agree with Coutlaw's post concerning weight to reel diameter specs. Comparing reel size for example a 4-5 wt to match those rod weights are not always a good match and have been discussed several times on this forum. I mount a Evo R 7/8 on a 9ft 6wt Sage One. The Evo R reels are cool!

Not to "stir the pot" as on another post I mounted bright blue 20# Dacron backing on the reel to match the bright blue Gary Loomis signature on the rod butt. I hope I am not evolving into a hipster!

It might be that the reason for this sale (maybe more are coming) is that Ross is aware of the similar class sizing and will be reconfiguring some of their reel sizings.

Last edited:

justahack

Reaction score
I purchased the Evo R in 3/4, super price , free shipping, came in 3 days. I suspect the 3/4 may be discontinued in the future.
Yes. The 2020 Ross catalog is available on their website now. The evolution R reels are unchanged, but there is no 3|4 model listed.

dipaoro

Reaction score
I bought the Ross Evo R - 3/4 today... for $269 - all in - will be nice on my 4W for winter fishing.