Hardy Reels

Hunter Gathers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried using the search function to see if this has been asked before, but either missed it or it doesn't exist:

I've been browsing around and looking at the modern Hardy Perfect reels and was wondering about reel and rod pairing. I see that, for example, there is a 2/3/4 [Model #HRP220W] with a fly line capacity of WF4+60. I interpret this as suggesting that this reel can be paired with a 2wt/3wt/4wt and of course the max capacity fly line is stated. There is also a 4/5/6 [Model #HRP230W] with WF6+53 fly line capacity.

I don't know much about reels, but are these really that versatile that they can fit three line weights each? I see that the weight difference is only 0.40 oz, but I don't have a reference frame yet for how much (or little) of a difference that is.

In each case, is there an optimum rod/line weight that it should be matched with or are the differences between, say, 2/3/4 negligible?

Thanks for any information that can be provided.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
It's kind of hard to say. I view the recommended line wts as just a guide. When considering a reel for a rod, I first look at how much the reel weighs to determine if it will be a good fit for the subject rod (in terms of balance) and then see how much backing it will fit with the line wt I intend to use it for. I'm not overly concerned with what line weight the reel is recommended for. I often use DT lines (so fatter than WFs) and so I often will end up using a reel a size or two up (e.g., a 5 wt reel for a DT4). A few things you might consider.

1. The Perfects are pretty heavy compared to most other (modern) reels. I would think the 2/3/4 in particular might be rather heavy for a 2-4 graphite rod, and would be better suited for being paired with a bamboo or perhaps fiberglass rod. But perhaps balance isn't important to you.

2. A lot of manufacturers seem to inflate the backing capacities of their reels (to be fair, not all backing has the same diameter) and the stated capacity may assume the spool is filled such that the line almost brushes up against the frame - which can cause problems if when landing a fish you don't get the line wound exactly right - and so I typically find that I consider a reel to be "full" (leaving ample space between the top of the line and the interior of the frame/lineguard) with less backing than the official specs provide for. I have no idea as to how accurate the Perfect specs are, but in general I avoid using a reel specified for 3 line wts with the highest of those weights and almost always would avoid doing so if using a DT line. So I typically view 2/3/4 reels as really being for 2 and 3 wts and 4/5/6 reels as being for 4 and 5 wts.

3. In my experience, the actual weight of many reels is different (usually heavier) than the stated weight. Again, I can't speak to the Perfects, but if you can't verify the weight (have a shop weigh it on a digital scale) I'd take the stated weight with a grain of salt (not that a couple tenths of an ounce once way or the other makes a difference, but sometimes the discrepancies are more than an ounce).

I would think that in most instances four-tenths isn't going to make a noticeable difference in how a reel makes the rod feel. Put another way, I wouldn't get the 2/3/4 just because it's lighter if the 4/5/6 was the better fit. But I would just make sure you're OK with the weight of the Perfects before you spend that much. But they sure look nice!

Good luck to you.

thomasw

Floating Fly Aficionado
Reaction score
I use the 2 7/8" Perfect models with 4wts and with my 8'6" 3wt Air; the way you hold or grip the rod will determine if the balance works -- for me the Perfect in the 2 7/8" diameter is just, well, perfect :)

dennyk

Reaction score
I use the 2 7/8" Perfect models with 4wts and with my 8'6" 3wt Air; the way you hold or grip the rod will determine if the balance works -- for me the Perfect in the 2 7/8" diameter is just, well, perfect :)
Same here with my 3 3/8 Perfect on a 9' 5 wt Radian. Balances center of grip.

Denny

Hunter Gathers

Reaction score
Thanks for the information everyone!

A friend of my father's gave him some old fly fishing reels and flies, mostly for saltwater fishing, and a Hard Marquis #6 was in the mix (I'll post a pic when I'm home from work). I liked the look of it and then went down a bit of a rabbit hole researching Hardy info, but found their site to be not that informative and most of the other information elsewhere pertaining to vintage models.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
The Marquis is one of the classic Hardy reels (they have a lot of classics). Certainly not as pretty as the Perfects you're eyeing or the Bougles, but a reel that has caught a lot of trout over many years. Two things I'd mention. The drag isn't reel strong, so if you hook a big fish you may need to palm the spool. Also, I personally like to pair a Marquis with a rod one weight lighter--i.e., I view a Marquis 6 as a 5 wt reel. Enjoy!

okaloosa

Reaction score
Same here with my 3 3/8 Perfect on a 9' 5 wt Radian. Balances center of grip.

Denny
from what I read a VINTAGE 3 3/8 perfect weighs 7oz...isnt that kind of heavy for a 9ft 5wt graphite rod? or are the new models a lot lighter?

dennyk

Reaction score
from what I read a VINTAGE 3 3/8 perfect weighs 7oz...isnt that kind of heavy for a 9ft 5wt graphite rod? or are the new models a lot lighter?
I believe the reel was made in 2009 and looking at the paperwork the reel weighs 6.2 oz. Never noticed what the weight was until you asked. Balance point on the grip is with the line through the guides and the rod ready to cast.

Denny

okaloosa

Reaction score
I believe the reel was made in 2009 and looking at the paperwork the reel weighs 6.2 oz. Never noticed what the weight was until you asked. Balance point on the grip is with the line through the guides and the rod ready to cast.

Denny
The vintage models weigh more...6.2 oz for the newer models makes more sense....what a beautiful combo you have there....the new Scotts are so classy and you are definitely making me want to add a Perfect to my collections of Hardys!

Hunter Gathers

Reaction score
The vintage models weigh more...6.2 oz for the newer models makes more sense....what a beautiful combo you have there....the new Scotts are so classy and you are definitely making me want to add a Perfect to my collections of Hardys!
That looks great. I have a Scott G Series 844-4 and was considering pairing a Marquis or Perfect with it.

Hunter Gathers

Reaction score
Here is the Hardy Marquis that was given to my father. No idea of the vintage. I still don't quite understand perfectly the Hardy numbering/naming scheme, but I'll assume the #6 is for a 6wt [which I don't own yet, so now I assume I need to buy one :)]...although I see the comment above where someone suggested pairing a 5wt with the #6 Marquis.

IMG_4485.jpg
IMG_4486.jpg
IMG_4484.jpg

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Just saw this thread. I've used a 5wt line on a Marquis 6 extensively for the past 15 yrs or so. I like the line pick up on the 3 1/4" dia spool, and a little more room with a DT. Don't know for certain but have read the Marquis reels with the darker spool face were made from '84 to '95... I believe I saw that somewhere on the classic fly rod forum.

Last edited:

srock

Reaction score
Well I have been watching this thread and finally decided to enter the discussion. I own only 2 Hardy reels, both are newer Marquis models. I really like them. They look nice and have the best music a click and pawl reel can provide. I also like the fact that you can palm them. Nonetheless, the Perfects really look nice and I have been tempted to get one, yet my inner self keeps me from pulling the trigger for a couple of reasons. 1. price. For the same amount of $ you can purchase one of the best US made reels, and in many cases, for even a little less. 2. I have found few LHW reels for sale. Most are RHW which does not suit me. The few LHW I have found are not the right size, or they are even more expensive. I do realize that the newer perfects do not use an agate guide and are convertible from L to R which is a good thing. However, I think the agate guide is what makes the Perfect reel especially appealing, if you are trying to go classic. 3. Many of the newer Perfect models are wide drum reels. I prefer thin reels such as Abel TRs and Creeks. I also really like the Ivorene handles, but some of the used affordable Perfects come with plain black ones.
FInally, I wonder how this reel, reels in with no counterweight to smooth out the reeling action? Could someone familiar with Perfects comment on this? So, the Perfect is a very nice reel but to get what I want looks like it would cost near $1000 on some sites. Maybe some day. SR

burk48237

Reaction score
Well I have been watching this thread and finally decided to enter the discussion. I own only 2 Hardy reels, both are newer Marquis models. I really like them. They look nice and have the best music a click and pawl reel can provide. I also like the fact that you can palm them. Nonetheless, the Perfects really look nice and I have been tempted to get one, yet my inner self keeps me from pulling the trigger for a couple of reasons. 1. price. For the same amount of $ you can purchase one of the best US made reels, and in many cases, for even a little less. 2. I have found few LHW reels for sale. Most are RHW which does not suit me. The few LHW I have found are not the right size, or they are even more expensive. I do realize that the newer perfects do not use an agate guide and are convertible from L to R which is a good thing. However, I think the agate guide is what makes the Perfect reel especially appealing, if you are trying to go classic. 3. Many of the newer Perfect models are wide drum reels. I prefer thin reels such as Abel TRs and Creeks. I also really like the Ivorene handles, but some of the used affordable Perfects come with plain black ones.
FInally, I wonder how this reel, reels in with no counterweight to smooth out the reeling action? Could someone familiar with Perfects comment on this? So, the Perfect is a very nice reel but to get what I want looks like it would cost near $1000 on some sites. Maybe some day. SR
As some one who owns 11 Hardy reels including several iterations of Perfects, Bougles, Lightweight series, JLHs, St Georges, St John and Marquis's, I can tell you that if anything the Perfects and Bougles are actually a bit smoother at startup and perfectly fine on larger fish in the larger sizes. I've landed Great Lakes Kings, Steel and Coho and AK Silvers, and Rainbows on them. The biggest difference is the Perfects and Bougles are a bit quieter/smoother because they have a ball bearing face. The only disadvantage with the Perfects ( not as much the Bougles) is they are a bit heavier. My favorites for trout are the JLH's, but I love the Bougles and Perfects on the Big Salmon/Steelhead spey sticks. The lack of counterweight doesn't seem to be a problem on any of them in Trout/Salmon/Steellhead applications, not so sure if that would be the case for Bonefish of Tarpon. :)

The new Dutchess is very similar the JLH, also the new Marquis is a bit tighter reel than the older one, they are machined, the old ones were cast. I do think the new Marquis are particularly eloquent with the gold highlights.

srock

Reaction score
Burk48237, thanks for sharing your experience with the Perfects and Bougles. They are very nice looking reels. I figured they would wind smoothly. I agree the Marquis reels are also very nice, so at some point I hope a Perfect may be attached to one of my trout rods. Best SR

flytie09

Reaction score
FInally, I wonder how this reel, reels in with no counterweight to smooth out the reeling action? Could someone familiar with Perfects comment on this?
Counterweights have to do with vibration of the spool during a hot running fish. Perfects have enough mass and stiffness where counterweights on the spool aren't a problem. Fly fishing for certain saltwater species and reel designs moving toward less mass and larger arbors.....have made counterweights a necessity.

Reel Balance | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog