Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardy Reels

Default Hardy Reels

Hi all,

I tried using the search function to see if this has been asked before, but either missed it or it doesn't exist:

I've been browsing around and looking at the modern Hardy Perfect reels and was wondering about reel and rod pairing. I see that, for example, there is a 2/3/4 [Model #HRP220W] with a fly line capacity of WF4+60. I interpret this as suggesting that this reel can be paired with a 2wt/3wt/4wt and of course the max capacity fly line is stated. There is also a 4/5/6 [Model #HRP230W] with WF6+53 fly line capacity.

I don't know much about reels, but are these really that versatile that they can fit three line weights each? I see that the weight difference is only 0.40 oz, but I don't have a reference frame yet for how much (or little) of a difference that is.

In each case, is there an optimum rod/line weight that it should be matched with or are the differences between, say, 2/3/4 negligible?

Thanks for any information that can be provided.

Default Re: Hardy Reels

It's kind of hard to say. I view the recommended line wts as just a guide. When considering a reel for a rod, I first look at how much the reel weighs to determine if it will be a good fit for the subject rod (in terms of balance) and then see how much backing it will fit with the line wt I intend to use it for. I'm not overly concerned with what line weight the reel is recommended for. I often use DT lines (so fatter than WFs) and so I often will end up using a reel a size or two up (e.g., a 5 wt reel for a DT4). A few things you might consider.

1. The Perfects are pretty heavy compared to most other (modern) reels. I would think the 2/3/4 in particular might be rather heavy for a 2-4 graphite rod, and would be better suited for being paired with a bamboo or perhaps fiberglass rod. But perhaps balance isn't important to you.

2. A lot of manufacturers seem to inflate the backing capacities of their reels (to be fair, not all backing has the same diameter) and the stated capacity may assume the spool is filled such that the line almost brushes up against the frame - which can cause problems if when landing a fish you don't get the line wound exactly right - and so I typically find that I consider a reel to be "full" (leaving ample space between the top of the line and the interior of the frame/lineguard) with less backing than the official specs provide for. I have no idea as to how accurate the Perfect specs are, but in general I avoid using a reel specified for 3 line wts with the highest of those weights and almost always would avoid doing so if using a DT line. So I typically view 2/3/4 reels as really being for 2 and 3 wts and 4/5/6 reels as being for 4 and 5 wts.

3. In my experience, the actual weight of many reels is different (usually heavier) than the stated weight. Again, I can't speak to the Perfects, but if you can't verify the weight (have a shop weigh it on a digital scale) I'd take the stated weight with a grain of salt (not that a couple tenths of an ounce once way or the other makes a difference, but sometimes the discrepancies are more than an ounce).

I would think that in most instances four-tenths isn't going to make a noticeable difference in how a reel makes the rod feel. Put another way, I wouldn't get the 2/3/4 just because it's lighter if the 4/5/6 was the better fit. But I would just make sure you're OK with the weight of the Perfects before you spend that much. But they sure look nice!

Good luck to you.

3. Thanks Hunter Gathers thanked for this post
    Likes jayr liked this post

I use the 2 7/8" Perfect models with 4wts and with my 8'6" 3wt Air; the way you hold or grip the rod will determine if the balance works -- for me the Perfect in the 2 7/8" diameter is just, well, perfect
    finem respice
    Tom Morgan :::
    "I would say there is quite a bit of crossover in that a good rod is a good rod is a good rod. What you are really looking at are attributes and characteristics.... I have really strong convictions that you need to make a rod that is going to fish for Trout in the 20 to 55 foot range. If it doesn't really bend or flex for that, then you have got the wrong rod. So with any one of the materials the characteristics of the rod in my opinion should still be the same."

5. Thanks Hunter Gathers thanked for this post
    Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thomasw View Post
    I use the 2 7/8" Perfect models with 4wts and with my 8'6" 3wt Air; the way you hold or grip the rod will determine if the balance works -- for me the Perfect in the 2 7/8" diameter is just, well, perfect
    Same here with my 3 3/8 Perfect on a 9' 5 wt Radian. Balances center of grip.

Denny

7. Likes Ard, clickpawl liked this post

Thanks for the information everyone!

A friend of my father's gave him some old fly fishing reels and flies, mostly for saltwater fishing, and a Hard Marquis #6 was in the mix (I'll post a pic when I'm home from work). I liked the look of it and then went down a bit of a rabbit hole researching Hardy info, but found their site to be not that informative and most of the other information elsewhere pertaining to vintage models.

The Marquis is one of the classic Hardy reels (they have a lot of classics). Certainly not as pretty as the Perfects you're eyeing or the Bougles, but a reel that has caught a lot of trout over many years. Two things I'd mention. The drag isn't reel strong, so if you hook a big fish you may need to palm the spool. Also, I personally like to pair a Marquis with a rod one weight lighter--i.e., I view a Marquis 6 as a 5 wt reel. Enjoy!

10. Thanks Hunter Gathers thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Same here with my 3 3/8 Perfect on a 9' 5 wt Radian. Balances center of grip.

Denny
    from what I read a VINTAGE 3 3/8 perfect weighs 7oz...isnt that kind of heavy for a 9ft 5wt graphite rod? or are the new models a lot lighter?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    from what I read a VINTAGE 3 3/8 perfect weighs 7oz...isnt that kind of heavy for a 9ft 5wt graphite rod? or are the new models a lot lighter?
    I believe the reel was made in 2009 and looking at the paperwork the reel weighs 6.2 oz. Never noticed what the weight was until you asked. Balance point on the grip is with the line through the guides and the rod ready to cast.

Denny

13. Likes Hunter Gathers, Ard, clickpawl liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    I believe the reel was made in 2009 and looking at the paperwork the reel weighs 6.2 oz. Never noticed what the weight was until you asked. Balance point on the grip is with the line through the guides and the rod ready to cast.

Denny
    The vintage models weigh more...6.2 oz for the newer models makes more sense....what a beautiful combo you have there....the new Scotts are so classy and you are definitely making me want to add a Perfect to my collections of Hardys!

15. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    The vintage models weigh more...6.2 oz for the newer models makes more sense....what a beautiful combo you have there....the new Scotts are so classy and you are definitely making me want to add a Perfect to my collections of Hardys!
    That looks great. I have a Scott G Series 844-4 and was considering pairing a Marquis or Perfect with it.

17. Likes dennyk liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast