automatic fly reels

jeff_daniels41

Reaction score
I own and operate a very small mom and pop second hand fishing tackle shop. The concept of my store is to sell good, clean fishing gear very inexpensively so everyone can afford to go fishing and to get kids involved in fishing. Anyways, I buy anything and everything that has to do with fishing. All my fly fishing gear moves very quickly except for automatic fly reels. I would think they would be a great reel and easy to use. So I came here to ask one question and one question only and that is why does no one want automatic fly reels? I have about 30 of them and I have never sold a one! I have them priced at $10.00. The price isn't it, it is no one even looks at them. Again why?

Davec921

Reaction score
my only guess would be maintenance. more parts more work to keep up in good shape. Have you thought about donating them ton Project Healing waters.

They are a no profit group that helps Vets get in to fly fishing. Some of them do need an automatic reel. An the donation would be tax deductible.

Hope you consider it thanks
DAVE

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Dave has a great option for you in his post. The auto reels never really caught on where I grew up, weight and the lack of an adjustable outgoing drag were just two factors. If they are in good working order the donation that Dave suggested would be the move I would make.

Ard

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dave is right we bought some Vivarelli reels for the PHW...but automatic reels would be welcome too I think.Automatic reels never caught on because they were not high performance ones.The only one which is,was made in france by J Cordel.

Red Owl

Reaction score
Jefff: I think the automatic fly reels sort of have the reputation of being tackle used by newbies only. For this reason they are eschewed. Whatsmore, most folks want to advance to other areas of fly fishing- steelhead, etc where an auto won't hold enough line. In any event- sell them off asap if you can.

damod

Reaction score
Red... Personally I think it is all a matter of preference.

I (and I will probably get flamed for this) only fish vintage (when it comes to fly fishing that is).

I have fished with many different brands of rods and reels.. but when it comes down to it I will take my old (but in perfect condition) Shakespeare fiberglass and auto reel any day. Why? It's what I prefer. In fact I like them so much I now have four of them (all in pristine shape).

Call me whatever you want, but in the end preference is what it comes down to. I wouldn't call it newbie tackle... but that's just me.

In fact.. if you hook a decent with an auto-reel.. you have to fight that fish that much harder and that much smarter because you don't have all the extra bells and whistles. I don't know if you ever used one, but the spring is not strong enough to reel in a fish.. you have to feed it by hand.. I think that adds a little something to the experience myself..

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Damod,

Welcome to the forum, I have no problem with the old auto reels and fully understand your preference for using them. I hope you'll stick around and join in on other threads here. This is not a place where you will be persecuted for your taste in tackle, enjoy your visits,

Ard

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

I have never fished with an automatic flyreel, but I've examined them, and they are simply heavy...about 8 oz or so. I'm not hip on heavy flygear.

An auto reel has a big spring, and people may not want to go thru the trouble of winding it up.

Different strokes for different folks. More power to those that use auto flyreels!

Cheers,

Robert

damod

Reaction score
ncflyboy: Well.. Actually they are kind of heavy but I really don't notice it much...

Actually you just have to set it to wind to the point you want and the spring gains torque every time you pull out some fly line so essentially it will always wind the same way.. AKA you only have to wind it once really.

If you've never fished with one before I would recommend at least trying it.. They are actually quite handy.

I have a hunch that they'd grow on you.

caseywise

Reaction score
never fished with one, but ive got an old shakespeare tru-art automatic reel thats been sitting on my shelf for quite a while collecting dust. maybe i should go borrow me father in laws old herters glass and string it up.:D

casey

damod

Reaction score
I'm sure you will find them quite neat. Of course I'm a fan of autoreels anyway so I guess I may be slightly biased lol.. I'm sure you will find them fun though.

I have a twin pair of Tru-Art silents mounted on twin wonder rods.. Love them.. one little tip though... make sure the center screw is there on the front, and if it falls off stop immediately... I had one literally explode on me because of that.. Of course I didn't check to see if the screw was there before hand.. So it was my dumb fault..

Pocono

Reaction score
This forum made a fly reel donation to Project Healing Waters about 2 years ago (Summer, 2009). We provided them with a dozen Vivarelli reels; most in the 5/6 wt. range, plus a couple of 7/8's.

At that point, PHW was accepting only Vivarelli semi-automatic reels; based on their having tested several types and taking into consideration the needs of the wounded vets in the program. I'm not aware that they've changed their policy on this, so if you plan to make a donation of any other type of automatic or semi-automatic reel, then you should check with them first.

Automatic reels were popular back in the early '60's and were frequently seen paired with glass sticks like Shakespeare's Wonder Rods, Phillipsons, Fenwicks, etc. The biggest downsides to automatics and semi-automatics, as has already been pointed out, were: 1. the lack of an adjustable drag, and 2. the tendency of the user not to pay attention on the retrieve and to bury the fly in the tip tip; thereby often times snapping the tip off the rod.

J-P is 101+ correct. The Cordel semi-automatic reels are in a class by themselves; even compared to the best Vivarelli products. Super smooth, responsive and with a precise memory of where the fly line is with respect to the rod. I fished A Cordel mounted on one of the new Hardy Zenith 9'0" 5 wt. rods, about a month ago with J-P and liked it a lot. Balance was great, no heavier than most standard reels.

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
They are. Both the semi-autos and the autos have springs. Vivarelli calls theirs a semi-automatic. Perhaps Cordel called theirs an automatic. I don't know.

But, I do know that there's a world of difference between the Cordel and even the best Vivarelli. However, Cordels are no longer made; the developer/builder having passed away.

If you're interested in information on Cordels, then PM jbbfly on this forum.

Pocono

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Cordel has a spring so it's a fully automatic
see pic
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/11774-reel-love-fly-reel-thread.html
the Vivarelli hasn't it's a semi automatic.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/11774-reel-love-fly-reel-thread-7.html
Both are easy and pleasant to use....some people say you can't land big fish with those reels...I can tell you it's not true I landed a 25" carp in moving waters with my Cordel;)Like my friend Allan said...feel free to contact me for more infos;)

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

here's a pic of the inside of a Vivarelli.

Pocono

Reaction score
Look very closely............that's a Cordel reel on a Hardy Zenith 9'0" 5 wt. Four weeks ago fishing on the Lergue with J-P. :)

Click on the image to full-size it, then click on the magnifying glass in the vicinity of the reel.

Pocono

charlous

Reaction score
My mom passed away last November and she donated her fishing equipment to Healing Waters in Colorado Springs. I began a Marylou McCartney Memorial Fund going to the same group. They are part of Wounded Warriors. Mom and I worked with many returning soldiers, teaching them to fish. Our equipment is 100% automatic fly reels. Since that is all we use, we could accommodate veterans with wounds without having to change equipment. You would be amazed how quickly a vet with the use of only one arm can operate an automatic reel and learn to cast a fly rod with ease. If you are interested in donating, it is a great cause. Please don't hesitate to contact me, I am in touch with them all the time.

kelkay

Reaction score
I think automatic reels going to Project Healing Waters is a great idea. I saw a program where some of the guys were using them. I have never used an automatic. I wouldn't know where to start. I have one automatic reel put up. It was my father's. I don't think he ever used it. He liked to buy stuff at garage sales. I guess that is where he got it. I am not sure which box it is in either. I should go look for it.