Fly Reel "Overspin" while stripping line off reel

ramjet

Reaction score
It looks like this section of the forum is mostly about new/nice fly reels, but maybe someone has had this issue before.

I have a "cheapy", no-name fly reel that I bought to use with a light switch-type rod. The reel spins -exceptionally- easily as it takes up line. It's not as smooth as a centerpin, but if I give the handle a good shove, it will free spin about 10 times before stopping. (This makes taking up line very easy when getting ready to move). I can also get it to spin in the "retrieve" direction by just snapping my wrist, like I might while casting. I've had issues with this (but not nearly as bad) with a larger, high quality reel I use for my larger spey rods. Other than that it seems like a normal reel, and the "innards" look a lot like some other reels I have.

The problem comes after I've moved to a new fishing spot and am stripping out line, especially if I do it fast. I think the spool might be "overspinning", (although I have never seen this) but the line gets all tangled up, not unlike when you don't "thumb" a bait-caster enough.

I hope I did a decent job describing the issue... would appreciate any input, I can't be the only person who's had this happen.

TIA.

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
Backlash! Assuming your drag is not adjustable, you just need to be cognizant and use your palm to stop the spool from over-spinning as you strip line.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

flytie09

Reaction score
It looks like this section of the forum is mostly about new/nice fly reels, but maybe someone has had this issue before.

I have a "cheapy", no-name fly reel that I bought to use with a light switch-type rod. The reel spins -exceptionally- easily as it takes up line. It's not as smooth as a centerpin, but if I give the handle a good shove, it will free spin about 10 times before stopping. (This makes taking up line very easy when getting ready to move). I can also get it to spin in the "retrieve" direction by just snapping my wrist, like I might while casting. I've had issues with this (but not nearly as bad) with a larger, high quality reel I use for my larger spey rods. Other than that it seems like a normal reel, and the "innards" look a lot like some other reels I have.

The problem comes after I've moved to a new fishing spot and am stripping out line, especially if I do it fast. I think the spool might be "overspinning", (although I have never seen this) but the line gets all tangled up, not unlike when you don't "thumb" a bait-caster enough.

I hope I did a decent job describing the issue... would appreciate any input, I can't be the only person who's had this happen.

TIA.
Regardless of the price or size...unless what you have is a centerpin reel....I would not tolerate a fly reel that free spins backwards. Or that does so for 10 spins and then "engages". That sounds like backlash and a birds nest just waiting to happen.

I would be curious what reel you're working with. Do you have any pics of reel's exterior and the interior?

trev

Reaction score
Sounds like a click pawl reel with a broken or lost pawl spring. If it is so cheap that the maker didn't mark it; it is probably a "what you get is what you get" situation.
A finger on or in it should help control the birds nest but Ard posted sound advice; get a better reel. I expect that some decent used reels can be bought for the price of a tank of gasoline.
If you can do a picture of it and of it's inside with the spool removed, you'll probably get some one to tell you exactly what's missing or how to adjust the drag.

flav

Reaction score
Tighten your drag. Most folks set their drag just tight enough to prevent overspin, if you need more drag while fighting a fish that's when you palm the reel.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
ramjet, Firstly this Forum section is for all fly reels, old, new, costly and junkers, like yours. Also you described your issue well. If your reel has a drag assembly, it is broken. If it is of a spring and pawl design then a pawl is missing or a spring broken as their intended application is not drag but over-run check protection, which you are without. As above, if you post images of the reel and its innards we can help determine the problem/solution.

trev

Reaction score
Another possible problem/solution just occurred to me, some two pawl reels have a design where the pawls are engaged one at a time as the means of changing the hand of the reel and both could be in the "off" position, thus allowing the spool to free wheel. fwiw, a missing spring can often be made from a guitar string or similar wire.

ramjet

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. I will try to take some photos either tonight or tomorrow and post them.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
More specifics on the reel? We have no idea if it has any capability of reducing "overspin" from your OP. If it's on a switch rod of any size it will surely need some drag. It's OK to tell us exactly what you have no matter the price. I guarantee you'll get help if any can possibly be provided. I had a Galvan Brookie in the smallest size. It was a back spinning, annoying little piece of creek jewelry until it was adjusted per the instructions. Maybe your real can be adjusted, maybe not?

All that said, if you have a super cheap drag, you'll be tweaking it frequently. If not now, soon enough.

ramjet

Reaction score
15740169377048660218326263999164.jpg15740170826476751001283877537165.jpg
15740171764744962406677202746747.jpg

Well if nothing else, I've learned that you can take a photo from your phone and post it in your reply. Cool. "What will they think of next?"..

I dug through a bunch of reels I had and it looks like I have two of the same with different cosmetics.

I'll see if I can get a video to show what I'm talking about better.

ramjet

Reaction score
OK. Let's see if I figured out this video thing. This is stripping line off the reel. All seems pretty normal till the last time I pull the line out. Then, you can't hear the drag sound anymore and the reel goes into a "free spool" type mode and backlashes severely. That's the part I'm trying to figure out.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Still not much help unless you pull the spool from the frame and have a look to see why it is happening.

Based on appearance there should be outgoing drag, - knob on back side of frame?

Not providing enough info; have you tried the drag, if so is there nothing there? If nothing there is it a sealed system or are there screws at the base of hub?

Sorry, I missed the still photos...… now I see them.

ramjet

Reaction score
OK. Looks like the vid went up OK. Let me add some more comments and explanation.

First, this is NOT the end of the earth, but I am always up to learn something new. I probably own two dozen fly reels. They are priced between "free and priceless" (Some old reels given to me by my grandfather before he checked out, which I will keep forever and still occasionally fish, along with the "clunker" bamboo rods that came with them) to the mid 200 dollar range. I tend to prefer a few moderately priced setups, as long as they work.

These reels had found their way into my extra reel box. I'm guessing I may have picked them up at a fly fishing show. I was no doubt attracted to them by the way they spin freely on the uptake. Probably 15 or more years ago, I bought a rod outfit (Cabelas "Float Tuber" if I recall, which you would now look at and call a switch rod) that came with a reel that spun freely when you took up line and I still use that reel on switch rods, since it facilitates a rapid takeup of line when you decide to move from one location to the next. I wanted another one to use on my "woo-hoo" rod, which is a modified (approx) 9 ft 8wt that is a total blast to cast--hence the term "woo hoo" rod. Ask if you want more details.

So, I'm getting ready to head South for the winter will be bringing a lot of fishing stuff. (Hey--It's either that or Bingo and Pickleball.) I tend to keep a setup (or three) in my vehicles and boats.. I'll be down there with two vehicles, a motorboat and a kayak to fish from so I was just trying to see if I could get a couple more setups ready to go (also handy if my buds visit, they can fly down and don't need to bring gear).

Answering questions:
--I crank with my right hand.
--Issue is intermittent, and happens at different drag settings.

In the video, the first several pulls work fine and I have no problem getting more line off the reel. At around 11 or 12 seconds into the vid, the reel completely goes into free spool. You can hear the sound change. That's what the issue is.. I am just wondering if someone else knows a fix for that. It seems to happen at all drag settings and it may be a dozen or more times before it happens. Of course, then it creates a "reel" mess.

Ard, You are right of course. No reason to be out fishing without a reel that works. That's why I had relegated this to the extra reel box. If I can't get it to work reliably, it won't make the trip down with me.

Karstopo, Your answer had actually occurred to me. I haven't done much/any saltwater fly fishing. This trip, I will be spending a lot of time in the (Florida) salt marsh and rivers chasing after redfish, seatrout, and snook (I guess). I'm looking forward to learning some new stuff. My previous saltwater experience has only been flyfishing for Barracuda in the lagoon near all the hotels in Cancun. Once I get some equipment set up, I'll have to start figuring out what flies to tie as well. I have some ideas, but will be back on here from more info.

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
ramjet, I see you are reeling right handed. Most reels ship set for left-hand wind. Did you convert the reel to right by removing and flipping the clutch bearing (behind the hexagonal spring)?

ramjet

Reaction score
ramjet, I see you are reeling right handed. Most reels ship set for left-hand wind. Did you convert the reel to right by removing and flipping the clutch bearing (behind the hexagonal spring)?
Yes. The video took a couple of "takes" to get the thing to act up. The first few, I demo'd how the reel will "free spool" on pickup, but then I just started showing the stripping portion. That light clicking/squealing sound you hear for about the first 11 seconds of the vid is the drag as line comes out. Then on the last strip, the noise (and drag) is notably absent.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I watched your over-spin video, I just want you to confirm that when you crank the drag knob down you have no drag in either direction...pulling line off or reeling it in.

ramjet

Reaction score
>>I just want you to confirm that when you crank the drag knob down you have no drag in either direction...pulling line off or reeling it in.<<

That's NOT the deal. Most of the time, it works as advertised. Every so often on some random schedule, the outgoing drag totally releases. That's when you get the monster backlash. So in the video, it's working fine for the first 11 seconds or so (moderate and controlled backlash that doesn't interfere with fishing), then the outgoing drag totally releases and I get a real rat's nest.

You can hear the drag sound on the first 14 strips, on the 15th-- no sound and it backlashes. Sometimes that doesn't happen, sometimes on the third or fourth strip, etc.

Hope that made sense.