Discount Orvis Reels

ts47

Reaction score
Orvis has a sale on their HYDROS SL FLY REELS if anyone is looking for a holiday deal. Free shipping too!

ts47

Reaction score
ts, Didn't we give the Hydros SL a squeez at Somerset and found it too flexy? It is likely fine in its couple of smallest sizes.
S&S,

Yes, we did. I enjoyed and appreciated your input as we wandered the isles. My experience and the reviews I've read speak to four drawbacks.
1. Parts of it will rust if used consistently in the salt.
2. It appears that the largest size suffers from reel frame or spool flex. I am not aware of that problem in size IV and below.
3. A horribly designed drag knob IMHO.
4. It's a bit heavy primarily in the smaller sizes.

I've considered purchasing this reel off and on since its release. For me, it's not the perfect reel. For others, including many sites that have reviewed the reel... At it's price point, it offers a considerable amount of value, especially when considering the quality of its drag, large arbor, and reasonably narrow spool. I think we measured it at Somerset. Spool widths ranged from under an inch to close to (around) 1.25" in it's largest size. For this reason, I thought some here may be interested in a quality reel (aside perhaps from the size V) at a really low price point.

To your point, I agree with you. That reel will never make it on one of my rods. I feel certain that others here likely own and love the reel. So... I leave it up to them and their opinions if it fits the right combination of features versus value. The new lower price will likely effect how others view the pluses and minuses as well. Reminding me of the drawbacks we found is appropriate. One of the great things about this site is all the detailed or expanded information provided, and should be a part of any conversation here.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A professional acquaintance who does tackle buying in the Orient is familiar with the maker of this reel in China. He told me what the unit price of this product is to Orvis with printed box, manual and reel case included. I can't quote him but trust me, no matter the discount, Orvis is making out like a bandit with their Chinese reels.

ts47

Reaction score
A professional acquaintance who does tackle buying in the Orient is familiar with the maker of this reel in China. He told me what the unit price of this product is to Orvis with printed box, manual and reel case included. I can't quote him but trust me, no matter the discount, Orvis is making out like a bandit with their Chinese reels.
Yep! They are!! We had this conversation shortly after Somerset. Again, it was just one of the many conversations that I appreciate having with you. After following up on your lead and doing a little research myself, I feel like I can safely agree that you are 100% correct. :) I feel like I should add that at least personally I would rather support Orvis than some no name company in China. What would be really great would be for Orvis (and companies like them) to find a way to profitable operate more out of the US. Let's please not start a US versus foreign country conversation though. I remember past threads that did this and don't mean to start one here.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Well Orvis's current and improved Mirage is US made and a good reel it seems though I have not used one. And I anticipate but do not know that the next CFO will be US sourced too.

I think companies like Taylor and Allen who design the reels themselves offer a superior price to value ratio alternative to big name re-branded reels.

ts47

Reaction score
Well Orvis's current and improved Mirage is US made and a good reel it seems though I have not used one. And I anticipate but do not know that the next CFO will be US sourced too.

I think companies like Taylor and Allen who design the reels themselves offer a superior price to value ratio alternative to big name re-branded reels.
Hi S&S,

That's good to hear about Orvis. I saw the new Mirage LT when I was surfing their site. It looked interesting, but have no experience either. I did notice it's a bit less expensive than Mirage.

It's also interesting to see your comments on Taylor and Allen. I own two Krackens and have had no problems with them. I bought these over the Orvis Hydros SL, though the SL does have a better drag. I'm getting back into the swing of things again and organizing my gear a bit. I think, but am not yet sure, there may be a reel purchase coming. I noticed the Taylor ARRAY V2 at what also appears to be a very good price. Any thoughts on that reel?

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I've considered purchasing this reel off and on since its release. For me, it's not the perfect reel.
Totally agree with you. Considered various sizes a couple of times, but always passed for the reasons you cited. The main selling points seem to be that it has a strong drag and is relatively cheap. Opinions/conclusions obviously vary, but those attributes were never enough to sway me given the negatives. I always concluded their were better options at that price point. I personally wouldn't get one at any price, but many like it.

smoke33

Reaction score
3. A horribly designed drag knob IMHO.
When this was first posted I checked out the reel since I am in the market for my 7wt. I was interested until I saw the drag knob and thought that knob looks horrible and lost interest. Waiting for Black Friday hoping Allen will put the Kraken on sale since I have one on my 5wt and really like it. Otherwise I will go with a Behemoth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I anticipate but do not know that the next CFO will be US sourced too
Is there a new CFO coming? If so, I wonder how faithful they will be to the original design. I have a couple of the most recent Abel version, as well as a couple of the original Hardy version and the original English-made (BFR?) barstock version.

jayr

Reaction score
Is there a new CFO coming? If so, I wonder how faithful they will be to the original design. I have a couple of the most recent Abel version, as well as a couple of the original Hardy version and the original English-made (BFR?) barstock version.
It's been rumored since the Abel version was discontinued that a new US made CFO reel was coming. It's been a long time and I haven't seen/heard of one yet.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
moucheur, I only heard a rumor about a CFO possibly from the same machining source as current Mirage. I'm not in their loop but if I were I'd propose a modernization. Mid arbor proportions with a threaded spool release and a coil spring actuated pawl and a light duty Battenkillish carbon disc drag for a larger size one. But they are not asking me.

Tippetsnap

Reaction score
I have the Orvis Mirage and the Mirage LT. I would say the Mirage LT is as good as any.

burk48237

Reaction score
I ended up buying a couple of Hydros SL IVs for my Shortstick. They balance great on that rod, there aren't any spools left, but the reels were $139 each at my local Orvis, Hard to be that.