Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Decisions... Decisions... Help me decide! ROSS vs ABEL

Not in this comparison-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well the good news is, they are both great and you won’t go wrong either way.

Sounds to me like the Abel is the one you really want if you are asking everyone to sell you on the Ross. Therefore, I would get the Abel and avoid the second guessing and potential regret down the road.

3. Likes scotty macfly, hairwing530 liked this post

Not really my kind of question but I have been a bit absent from the Forum for a few days so... Igniter #5 wants a reel of 5.55 oz (naked) if you desire gravity neutral balance. I fished mine for a full year with a reel of 5.25 oz. and found it unnatural to me. Last winter I decided to find just the right reel for it. There are not that many that were of the exact weight and appropriate capacity and quality.

I looked a t the Bauer SST7 the weight was good maybe a hair more than ideal but a nice solid reel with a few aesthetic glitches and, ultimately, the drag knob on the wrong side. The Allen Atlas was a good contender with fine design elements. I have an Able SDF 6|7 for my NRX#6 which is close but better where it is. Finally I went with Sage's own Spectrum MAX 5|6 in Chipotle, 5.5 oz. with very fine design elements and build quality (Korean). With this reel and an upgrade to the InTouch version of Gold, my second season with Igniter was more positive, a first rate big river dry fly rod in Sage's new, fast progressive taper design language.

AVAYA was not available last winter but the 7|8 at 5.6 oz. could be just perfect. I have not seen one yet but will study it at Edison in a month...do they make it in plain black?

5. Likes fly2field, hairwing530 liked this post

My 9' 5wt. Igniter is paired with a Hatch Finatic Gen II 4+ large arbor and balances and preforms perfectly, couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by peaks2creeks View Post
    ABEL VAYA - LOVE this reel, i have a 5wght in the custom Cutthroat pattern, just soooo cool. I mean, it's an ABEL!
    And there's what lies beneath it all.

Go ahead and get the Abel if that's what you really want.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

8. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

For those of you looking for a reel, Sierra Outdoors has a bunch of them on sale, mostly Lamsons.

https://www.sierra.com/fly-fishing-reels~d~6868/

For a 5 wt, they have the Litespeed 2 G5 Fly Reel for $230 regular price $360

https://www.sierra.com/lamson-litesp...eels~d~6868%2F
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

10. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fffl View Post
    My 9' 5wt. Igniter is paired with a Hatch Finatic Gen II 4+ large arbor and balances and preforms perfectly, couldn't be happier.
    I have a 4+ on my NRX#5 and it is perfect but way to light for my Igniter. I have a 5+ too but its too heavy.

12. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I owned 4 Ross reels and every one of the drags failed and some quickly. It became such a problem that I would no longer take Ross’s offer of another Ross and told them I wanted to cut ties with them as it was becoming a problem on my long fishing trips up here in Alaska. Being that they have awesome customer service they offered me a new Able Super Series as the drag seems more reliable especially remotely. So far so good

14. Likes el jefe, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    ... I fish and love the new Gunnison and was considering a San Miguel for my new 690LL...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Hi osseous.

It took a couple of weeks for this to sink in, but, you got a new 690LL. Awesome. I’d be very interested to hear a review of your impressions and experience, line etc. I’m sure others would too. It could go in the LL thread or a you could start a new Med-flexing 6wt threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Akryanski View Post
    I owned 4 Ross reels and every one of the drags failed and some quickly. It became such a problem that I would no longer take Ross’s offer of another Ross and told them I wanted to cut ties with them as it was becoming a problem on my long fishing trips up here in Alaska. Being that they have awesome customer service they offered me a new Able Super Series as the drag seems more reliable especially remotely. So far so good
    Hi Ak.

This is very interesting to me. I’ve had 5 Rosses, and essentially I am very happy with them. However, one had failed almost immediately, and one just had the drag knob screwed on so tight that it I couldn’t get it off and had to send the reel in. even though they do have great customer service and it is fun to visit the shop, they have not earned my undying loyalty. In this day and age anything fairly simple in design should not be failing and certainly there should be no quality control issues because it should be checked before it leaves the their shop. If I lived far away and had risk of getting into mailing hassles, especially customs issues or long wait times to pass through customs, in the OP’s situation I’d get the Abel.

16. Default Re: Decisions... Decisions... Help me decide! ROSS vs ABEL

Ebay used Abels

17. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast