Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ross R Salt vs. Evolution R

Quote Originally Posted by proheli View Post
    I’m going with the Evo R.
    I have never seen an Evo R in person, but looking at the Ross website it looks as though it utilizes the same drag "knob" (flat wheel/dial) that the Evo R Salt uses. It sounds like you've at least handled the Evo R Salt in person and so you're probably OK with the design, but if you think you'll want to be adjusting the drag with a fish on and you didn't spend some time turning the dial when looking it over, I would suggest doing so before spending a lot of money. I owned an Evo R Salt but sold it because I just couldn't get comfortable with the drag wheel. The R Salt gets great reviews (and so I would assume the Evo R does too) and so not an issue for most people I suppose, but just wanted to mention so that you can avoid my mistake (if it would be an issue for you). Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by proheli View Post
    Hey guys, thank you for the responses. I got the flu for two weeks and then have had a nagging cough that hasnít gone away until the last few days where itís getting better.

Joe, I can check out the Super 7/8. I also thought the NV-G was a little heavy, especially since the lighter weight of an 8í4Ē rod.

Osseous, the reason I started out looking at the XL Max, was because one of the guys at TA really liked the balancing of the XL Max, I thought the CCF was good but would go with the lighter weight reels.

SnS, I think you were asking Me what issues I have had with Nautilus, and I have had none at all. While Iíve got back into trout fishing the last 3 years, I have almost no experience in the salt. Maybe about 15 days and it was all during red tide, and the only thing I caught was sun fish. Now when I walk on the beach in the mornings, I can see the return of snook and red fish, etc, so I am ready to give it another go. After fondling the NV-G, I thought it might be a touch heavy, and I thought the Ross Evo R in a 7/8 was very classy looking. I Really liked your description of the Evo and the Salt Iím the 7/8 actually being in series even tho they have the same 7/8 designator. This is actually what made me decide on the Evo R, because itís jut a little lighter than the Salt. So, thank you.

Tomil, Dynaflow, thanks for the input. Iím going with the Evo R.

Unfortunately, Iím putting the breaks on major purchases until we get Corona a little more figured out, but I am excited to get fishing in the Salt again.

A couple of days ago, there were about six snook and one redfish in the same spot where they usually are, close to the shore and behind a couple of rocks. I pointed them out to a few guys fishing off the pier. They didnít have glasses on, let alone polarized glasses and couldnít see them. Anyway, they didnít even want to cast where I pointing. I was like, omg, and I decided to stop showing people the fish, because Iíve done that at least a hand full of times but no one gets it. Lol. Iím literally like, ďHey man, heís right there, about 10í in front of you.Ē That is special code for, cast out as far as you can, at least 80í because the fish would never be next to the shore. I know this because that is what he did. :-)
    People can be contrary. I had a similar experience recently. While walking the dog on our community dock, I noticed a really big Snook, just cruising around, maybe 20 ft away. I pointed this out to a guy who was fishing on the dock. He ignored me, and continued to cast to a school of mullet. I did diplomatically mention that mullet are vegetarian, and therefore very unlikely to eat his minnow imitation.

I owned two evolution r’s. Both sealed drags failed me and one got bent when i took a small fall into straight up mud. It landed in mud and surprisingly bent. Didn’t make it through a season with either one. I know people that have had good luck with them though. Don’t worry about getting your fingers caught while adjusting the drag, not a realistic threat
    Last edited by Akryanski; 03-25-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Modern skeletonized reels can get bent and all fly reels can break. My mistake, but once throwing a cord attached rock over a Douglas Fir bough to haul a food cache above bear reach, my rock came down on my Hardy LRH breaking a pillar. It was not out of round though so I broke the pillar some more so the reel worked fine but the spool could not be removed and continued catching wilderness trout. That off season I mailed it back to Alnwick and they did a lovely repair. In that same camp one morning my pard crawled from his tent and let out a yowl. He'd leaned his Scott Pow-R-Ply against a tree and during the night a quill pig has knawed off his sweat laden cork grip for the salt. He wanted to know why my dog, on guard duty over night, had not chased off the critter but I explained that in his youth he tried that and got a muzzle full of quills for his effort and had been afraid of porcupines ever since...bears he was OK with. So with my damaged reel and his grip-less rod we continued to fish.

Now WNC, usually I hear complaints that drag knobs are two small or hard to grip or too non-linear or take too many or not enough turns and now I can add your too large and/or hollow to the list. I have one Evo R on my 8 1/2'/#4 ONE and an Evo R|S on my T8 and both have so far performed and handled flawlessly but I've long liked extra big drag knobs that were non-protruding; my old Ari't Hart had one the full size of the back plate and Hardy's neat old Angel, the same...with big holes in it, it really was much like todays Evo's.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Now WNC, usually I hear complaints that drag knobs are two small or hard to grip or too non-linear or take too many or not enough turns and now I can add your too large and/or hollow to the list.
    Yeah, there's no pleasing some people. I love the looks of the reel, but when it comes to actually using it the hollow part/flatness bugged me. Worried about reaching in too far with my fingers or them slipping and getting caught, and I just never got the hang of turning with it my palm to where I wanted it. Not an issue if you just "set and forget", but there's enough quality reels out there that I decided to look for another option. But for the drag knob I think it's a great reel, and so if not issue for someone a great choice, just not for me.

The way the spokes are machined on the drag wheel they are flat on their inside radius. So I use my thumb and a finger to rotate the wheel with out sticking my fingers through it into the reel frame itself. I worried initially it would too easily change settings on it own but the resistance to turning is just right to avoid inadvertent movement and plenty of feedback as to how much you are intentionally turning it...I like it but I suppose this is why they make the Evo LTX as an alternative. Also the Abel SDF/SDS offer related performance design with a conventional but easily gripable knob.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    I have never seen an Evo R in person, but looking at the Ross website it looks as though it utilizes the same drag "knob" (flat wheel/dial) that the Evo R Salt uses. It sounds like you've at least handled the Evo R Salt in person and so you're probably OK with the design, but if you think you'll want to be adjusting the drag with a fish on and you didn't spend some time turning the dial when looking it over, I would suggest doing so before spending a lot of money. I owned an Evo R Salt but sold it because I just couldn't get comfortable with the drag wheel. The R Salt gets great reviews (and so I would assume the Evo R does too) and so not an issue for most people I suppose, but just wanted to mention so that you can avoid my mistake (if it would be an issue for you). Good luck.

Yes, I've handled the Salt R 7/8. Its just a bit bigger than the Evo R 7/8. I've also got Evo LTXs to compare with. I do like the Evo R that I already have. Hm, like any piece of equipment that might be used in a stressful situation, its best to practice with it and practice with it until you just can't make any mistakes, but I guess it never grew on you. I've got the EVO R 4/5, and really you could just palm the whole drag wheel if you wanted - maybe its cold outside and you are wearing gloves. Plus, the hub itself where the spokes attach, its 1/4 inch thick or so, so it's basically a drag knob being called a hub anyway. And for me the spokes just go between your fingers automatically. I think it is a very neat design and could even see someone making a much bigger drag wheel. I've got a buddy, an older guy with big fingers, he just palms everything because it's too hard to grab a lot of the drag knobs in an action situation. Or if a guy had any arthritis a drag wheel is a good idea, just palm the sucker.

Nothing in the world is perfect or failure proof, that is a given. We have several very fine reels available to us today featuring superior design elements. In my opinion the Evo R's are truly innovative and excellently designed and built. I've caught big bonefish with my R|S and soaked it in salt and knoked it around a little in a fiberglass skiff and it is as if new, a joy to fish and perfectly balanced with my T8. Do I like my Nautilus, Hatch and a bunch of others too? Yes, but Ross is really on a roll.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12