Bamboo rod reel

Curtis

Reaction score
Outdoorarki said:
What kind of reels do you guys put on your bamboo rods?
Well, I don't have a bamboo rod but if you send me one I will let you know what reel I put on it! ;)

idabelangler

Reaction score
Pfluegers old and new, old South Bends, Old Ocean Cities, cheap cabelas, cheap bass pro, most any I would put on a plastic rod but I do like those Pflueger Supremes. Maybe one day I'll get an ElkHorn Classic Reel but I'll never be able to afford a Peerless.

My latest build with a very cheap pflueger and 1/2 of a DT 6 Cortland 444

dougm

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the old 1494, especially if you've updated it. If not that, you will usually find me with a Chalton uploaded and ready.

Outdoorarki

Reaction score
I don't have one but I just like the old timey looks. Mabey some day I'll be able to get one . A buddy of mine has an old one he got after his brother died.Real nice looking and in good shape.

dougm

Reaction score
Even the Ancient Fish Gods fear the 1494. Find one that's scratched and most often "Aluminum Black" will take care of that.

Be sure to take the reel apart and something like Lock-tight (sp) when you put it back together...

Than, too, check out the accessories for the 1494 P-One Foot after market products ... They turned my 1494s into quality fly reels.

burk48237

Reaction score
To me it depends a lot on the Bamboo rod. If it is a heirloom quality rod of your lifetime, spend the extra money and put a true classic reel on it. A Hardy Lightweight, Bougle, Cascapedia or old Perfect if you can find one for the right price. Also check out Peerless, Bradley, Bellinger, and if you make a lot more money then me a Bogdon. The true classic reels are built to last forever and really compliment a fine trout rod. All of my trout reels are click drag.

If your buying a budget bamboo to play around with a Medalist would or an old JW Young would be a nice choice

Note: I work for Cortland Hardy

Flywgn

Reaction score
With my 4wt I use my Hardy St George. With the 6wt a Hardy Princess.

Allen R

PS- I forgot to say that sometimes I use a Hardy Perfect.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I use an Abel Tr #2 on an 8' two piece 1966 Wes Jordan 7wt wrapped by Gloria..but I have not used it in 20 years.

Joni

Reaction score
For me it is the older Spring Pawl CFO, but I agree on the older Pfluegers, I would love to get one of those for my boo's Also Vom Hoff replica's are the old time look at a fair price.
My boos are all 4wt's and therefore I want a smaller LIGHT reel to match the rod. A lot of the older and some newer boos are on the heavy side so going with a heavy reel to balance them out makes sense. But my boos weigh and are as balanced as a lot of the light weight Graphites out there.

ezamora

Reaction score
i'm new to bamboo, don;t even have a rod yet, but i can tell you what i PLAN to use... like joni, i'm planning on using a used orvis CFO, a CFO III on my 7'2" bamboo, but since it's still a blank, i'm not sure if it'll balance well. the reel is very light... as options, i also have a meissellbach airex 377 on its way (i hope). if neither works out, then i might be able to turn to my dad's old 1495 1/2. i'd be open to using my orvis battenkill disc 3/4 if necessary. i just like the look of these old, proven style reels and am hoping to use a simple click and pawl drag. we shall see.

eric
fresno, ca.