Abel Trout or Creek?

ksbrowntrout2

Reaction score
Im looking for a reel for my 2 weight for small stream fishing and maybe some bluegill too.

I really like the look of the Abel creek large arbor, but i've never held one of these reels in my hand before. (Abel Trout/Abel Creek)

Does anyone have any experience with either of these reels? Which one would you choose?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi ksbrowntrout2,

Both are great reels for a light line rod. The Trout only comes in a standard arbor design. It is a little lighter than the Creek but both would work well on a 2wt.

The Creek comes in a standard arbor and a Large Arbor (its more like a medium arbor). The creek has a little more weight. You can interchange the standard arbor with the LA arbor spool. So that makes it more usable on different rods. The standard arbor holds more line than the LA.

I think it comes down to picking the arbor size you like best.

Frank

Abel Creek LA No1 3.8oz

Abel Trout Light, 3.1oz

FrankB2

Reaction score
The Abel Trout series Light weighs 3.1 oz, but the Trout 1 weighs 4oz:
Trout Reels/TR Series

I'd buy an Orvis BBS II with a 2.75" diameter, and an honest weight of 3.5oz.
Pocket the difference, or buy two :D .

EDIT: The last Abel trout reel I played with required removing a small screw to remove the spool. That
was a deal breaker right there.

BigCliff

Reaction score
The Abel Trout series Light weighs 3.1 oz, but the Trout 1 weighs 4oz:
Trout Reels/TR Series

I'd buy an Orvis BBS II with a 2.75" diameter, and an honest weight of 3.5oz.
Pocket the difference, or buy two :D .

EDIT: The last Abel trout reel I played with required removing a small screw to remove the spool. That
was a deal breaker right there.
In the picture Frank posted, I see a little silver lever sticking out from under the center plate that looks like a spool release lever to me.

ksbrowntrout2

Reaction score
I see what you are saying, On the Creek, there really isn't a spool release, you do need a screwdriver. On the Trout series, there is a quick release option.

As for the orvis, i Have the Batenkill Standard arbor on my 3 weight, but on the 2 weight im looking for a really light reel, and im going to be using it on some creeks where the rainbows can hit 20+ inches

7XBWO20

Reaction score
I would search for a Hardy Featherweight fly reel, an older one. The newer one's just are not the same. The reel weighs 3 1/2 oz and is 2 7/8 inches.
Robert

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I second the Hardy reel and would add that if weight matters go to eBay and look for a Flyweight in good condition. I know of no lighter reel I'm thinking they are around 2.7oz.

FrankB2

Reaction score
It's the Abel Creek that requires a srew removal: Easy Care Instructions

An FAOL member is selling an Abel Creek #1 and #2 for $130 each. I have
no personal knowledge of the seller, but you can see it on their site. Even
the #1 weighs 4oz, so probably won't be applicable for this situation.

FrankB2

Reaction score
As for the orvis, i Have the Batenkill Standard arbor on my 3 weight, but on the 2 weight im looking for a really light reel, and im going to be using it on some creeks where the rainbows can hit 20+ inches
The Orvis BBS is a much different reel than the Battenkill...IMO. The BBS
drag is very nice, and sizes I and II weigh less than 3.5 oz. I use a BBS III
on my 7'6" 4wts, and it balances very nicely. A Hardy at 2.7 oz sounds great!

YO! Those little screws for the Abel's spool are $6.25 each, and I'm sure shipping isn't free :eek: !

burk48237

Reaction score
The Abel Creek DOES NOT require screw removal to change spools it has an identical spring latch system to about 90% of the reels on the market. I have one. The Super series (not QC) does require screw removal for spool change. My take on the two reels is this. For shorter (8 1/2') and under rods the creek tends to look a bit unbalanced being a thinner high diameter reel. A Creek 2 for a 5 weight is the same diameter as a Hardy Princess for 6-7 weight. On a 9' and over rod the Creeks look great. On the smaller rod (most two's are under 8') I would go with the TR 1.

As far as Hardy I own a bunch, use to rep them and for a two weight you want a Flyweight, not a Featherweight.

As far as Orvis, the Battinkill and the BBS (while fine values) do not compare in fit or finish to an Abel or earlier English made Hardy. The CFO's might be worth considering though, especially a used English (Hardy made) one.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Burk, Maybe they were showing me one of the Abel Super reels, cuz it
required a screw to be removed. I see the latch on the Creek now, and I
might grab one of the two I mentioned that are for sale on FAOL ;) !

Pocono

Reaction score
I would search for a Hardy Featherweight fly reel, an older one. The newer one's just are not the same. The reel weighs 3 1/2 oz and is 2 7/8 inches.
Robert

I fish and Abel Super 5N on my 5 wt. and I like the reel a lot. Yes, if you want to change the spool, then you do have to back off the lock nut and remove the drag adjustment knob. And if you're doing that on stream on in a boat, then that's a risk factor that you have to contend with. I carry an extra nut and drag adjustment knob with me; for just that reason. But, although that may seem like a lot; the drag on the Abel makes it worth the extra effort (and precautions) for me. And, you know, I've never needed the spare nut or knob.

I'd also second the recommendation for a Hardy Featherweight. I just got one for my vintage glass Phillipson 6'6" Midge rod and it's a perfect match for that very light weight rod. This one is new and, yes, it's made in Korea. I have an older made-in-the-UK Featherweight and, truthfully, I can't tell the difference between the two; other than the fact that the older reel is well broken in and, therefore, feels smoother. I think that mechanically and functionally, the Korean-made reel a match for the UK made reel. And, I got it out of the UK, with shipping, for $181.00. In my opinion, not bad for a quality reel. :icon_wink

mojo

Reaction score
An Abel LA for a 2w?
I also say take a look at a Hardy. There's no real difference between the British made ones and the Korean made ones except the price and the "Made in England" engraving on the reel. Certain fly fishers might not like them, but if they haven't seen the new ones, well they might want to reserve comments until they actually see one up close and personal, or better yet fish one.
Go halfway down the page. $148 for a Flyweight
Fly Reels | Buy Now at HarrisSportsmail.com

Pocono

Reaction score
No, that was just a comment about the spool change (see FrankB2's original comment on Abel spool changes).

I got my Featherweight from HarrisSportsmail (a recommendation from Bulldog on the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum). Product arrived intact and fully functional. Cost with shipping was $181.00. As I said, the fit/look on the 6'6" midge rod is outstanding. I'm seriously considering ordering a Bougle model for 5 wt. from Harris.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with MoJo on the Hardy's,

I've had some of the newer reels since they started engraving House of Hardy on them instead of the old script found on the baked finish reels of the last century and they are just fine.

The reason I go with them for issues of weight reflects back to around 2000 when I was considering a reel for a little 3wt graphite rod. I wanted to go with a Galvan or one of the other large arbor 2/3wts but was taken aback when I began to find that all of these tiny reels weighed at least 4.5 oz or more. I know that some have gotten with weight watchers over the past ten years but the Hardy Flyweight was and is still one of the lightest reels out there.

Another thing that came to mind while I was shopping was that when using a three weight rod and reel, how many times would disc drag and backing capacity be an issue. Not. So I got myself a nice old Fly and quit worrying about the new reels.

I did however find the Flyweight to be so small that it seemed almost a toy sized reel. I only used it a few times before selling both the rod & reel. It seems that the rig was quite redundant since I had a 3wt cane rod with a nice Featherweight on it. The Feather at least looked like a real fly reel not a novelty item.

mojo

Reaction score
Flyweight or Featherweight. He couldn't go wrong for that price.

The reel should balance the rod out with a normal grip. Meaning where you consistently grip your rod, with the correct reel, it should balance out. No tip or butt heavy. Pedro (and golfers) called it swing weight. My spey rod has a 9+ oz reel on it. The rod is well balanced. If I put the reel on a lighter rod, it would plain suck.
When you get a good balanced outfit, it feels good right from the start, and you'll know it.
Pocono, I knew what you meant. Able is a good reel, but if I had the money to buy one, it would be for a 4w on up I think. Love the painted Abel's but can't afford it.
And as for the Bougle. Good choice. I'd love one. But it's not in the list of ff'ing priorities right now.

Pocono

Reaction score
Flyweight or Featherweight. He couldn't go wrong for that price.

The reel should balance the rod out with a normal grip. Meaning where you consistently grip your rod, with the correct reel, it should balance out. No tip or butt heavy. Pedro (and golfers) called it swing weight. My spey rod has a 9+ oz reel on it. The rod is well balanced. If I put the reel on a lighter rod, it would plain suck.
When you get a good balanced outfit, it feels good right from the start, and you'll know it.
Pocono, I knew what you meant. Able is a good reel, but if I had the money to buy one, it would be for a 4w on up I think. Love the painted Abel's but can't afford it.
And as for the Bougle. Good choice. I'd love one. But it's not in the list of ff'ing priorities right now.
I just purchased an Abel CreeK #2 in black today at my local Fly Shop's annual pre-opening sale. It pairs very well with my Sage ZXL 3. wt. (balance is right between the index and middle fingers as I hold the grip). Loaded with a Rio Gold WF 3F line, it's ready to go with me next Saturday (season opening day).

Sunday I'll be packing my way up into one or more of the headwaters streams in the area with my trusty Fenwick FF535/Martin MG-3 rig and a dozen or so #12 elk hair caddis and assorted #14-18 nymphs (dry/dropper rig is the way to go at this time of year on the local Pocono streams).

I'm working up a 3rd instar Baetis nymph pattern for next week, as the report is that the Little black Stoneflies are starting to disappear and the little BWOs have started to come off the water. If it works, then it's headed into Peregrine's BWO life cycle swap. We'll see.

7XBWO20

Reaction score
Nice choice on the Featherweight, nice reel for the price and good balance for the rod.