How Does the drag work?

CoolCast

Reaction score
I have a South Bend Finalist 1144 and being new to fly reels I dont know how the drag works, when the drag is tightened down its harder to reel in but I am still abel to pull line out with no felt drag how does this work as a drag?
Also is this reel enough to tackle steelhead/bass?

lifesaflyin

Reaction score
the reel probly has a one way bearing and sombody wound it the wrong way. if its anything like my reel you can take it apart and flip the one way bearing around

burk48237

Reaction score
The Finalist is a low cost import copy of the Hardy featherweight. The drag is a click and pawl. If working properly it should apply just enough pressure to prevent the spool form over running. To apply additional pressure (large fish on the reel) you must apply it manually to your line on the spool. I suspect (unless it's a an early American made one) it will function marginally but should be OK for most panfish and trout fishing. Basically it is a very basic reel just designed to store line.

Jimmie

Reaction score
If it's harder to retrieve (reel-in) after the drag is tightened then you have it reversed. It should be harder to let line out the tigher the drag. Just reverse it on the rod and check the manual to switch from right to left hand retrieve and visa versa.

CoolCast

Reaction score
Its an older made in the usa version any idea how to switch it around, when i have it apart ill take some pics.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
if you're a righty, most people set it up so you reel with your left hand, with the line coming out of the front (not underneath the reel).

Maybe you have the reel on backwards?

If so, you could strip the fly line and backing out, leaving it tied to the reel and just reel it all in again, taking care that the line doesn't build up on one side of the spool. When you get to the end (the front part of the fly line), slip it in the front of the reel.

If you're a lefty, or want to reel with your right hand for some reason (some do), then you may need to change the drag-- if it can be changed ( a pic would help).

The reel should be fine for bass, panfish and trout, you can apply pressure directly to the line with your fingers by pinching it with your off hand and stripping in the fish when it's ready to come your way. Steelhead might be a bit tougher to land. You'd want to use your fingers there too and pinch outgoing line and strip incoming line. The problem is that you usually fish steelhead in moving water they often make several runs, and it may be necessary to chase them. If you're wading and fighting a big strong fish like a steelhead, it's tough to control slack floating line that will start billowing downstream if you're not fighting a fish from a reel (the reel will take up the slack as you reel).

So by today's standards, most folks would opt for something with a better drag, (typically a disc drag) for steelhead---- but it sounds like your reel is similar to a Pfleuger Medalist with a simple click and pawl drag, and TONS of fish have been caught on those old no frills reels. Don't let a lack of designer gear stop you, fish with what you have-- you'll either make it work..... or..... you'll have some great stories to tell on the board :)

mark

CoolCast

Reaction score
I just changed it out, it is a disk drag heavy duty reel made in Japan. With the drag tightend down I cant pull line out without some struggle. There is 100 yards of backing and my line on there. How do i post pics?

FrankB2

Reaction score
You want to flip that center disc over: take out the 2 screws, flip the disc,
and then replace the screws. There is a peg that sticks out of the spool, and
this rides over the ramp of the disc, and each side of the disc has the ramps
facing opposite directions for left and right hand winding. You may want to
clean any gunk out.