Which Reel Do You Take?

Funnel30

Reaction score
If you were going to be fishing in Alberta and rivers such as the Bow, Crowsnest and mountain streams which reel would you pick and what comments can anyone provide me with.
Orvis CFO III
Sage 2560
I have the Sage right now and haven't used it, it looks amazing and I love the drag system on it, it just doesn't look like it would hold up. I've never touched a CFO but it looks more durable than the Sage. The rod its going to be match with is a Orvis t3 905, or an orvis t3 906. Thanks any input would be greatly appreciated.

Curtis

BigCliff

Reaction score
Looks to me like you picked out a great reel in that Sage.

As long as you don't bang it on too many rocks, it will hold up JUST fine. I would expect it to last longer than a CFO actually. Technology wise, that Sage is pretty much cutting edge, while the CFO design is easily over 30 years old. I'm saying that stuff that old doesn't work, just that many improvements in weight reduction and drag materials have been made in that time.

I'm not sure if I'd take that Sage reel instead of two comparable CFO's, but its close.

Funnel30

Reaction score
If your choosing a Rod do you go with the 6wt or 5wt or am I even going to notice the difference? Thanks

Fish Bones

Reaction score
First of all... the Sage is an excellent fly reel. You can't go wrong with that one.

Now... a 5wt or 6wt rod. Hmmm... seems to me that there are a lot of variables here. What size fish do you plan on catching? How far do you need to cast? What is the wind conditions on these waters? What size flies are you trying to cast?

I must say that I have no experience on the Bow or Crowsnest. But I do have a lot of mountain stream experience. Also, I have fished some local waters that are pretty big and hold big fish.

So... I would go with the lightest weight rod that will do the job. If the choices are bewteen a 5 and 6... then I'll take the 5wt. Unless I have to cast larger flies a long distance and I have some considerable wind to contend with. You must be the judge of that. For me... If I can get the fly where I want it, then give me the 5wt.

Yes... you can tell the difference between a 5 and 6wt.

Now... mountain streams. How small of a mountain stream are we talking about? How big, or small, are the fish? If its a typical mountain stream, a 6wt is way too big. I even think the 5wt is too big for a small stream. I use a 2wt on the mountains streams that I fish in Colorado and New Mexico. A 3wt is probably ideal for that type of setting for most anglers.

So... if this is going to be a single rod with multiple uses, an overall rod, the I would go with a 5wt. A better scenario would probably be to get a 3 or 4wt for the mountains streams and 5 or 6wt for the big rivers.

BigCliff

Reaction score
The exception to what Steve said about mountain streams comes into play when its a rumbling canyon stream with fast turbulent water. If you expect to be fishing these conditions often, then I recommend doing so with nothing lighter than a 4wt. You'll need that heavier line to kick over your fly(s) and split shot, and then the power of a stout rod to steer the fish out of that heavy water. If hoppers are a major trout food up there, you'll find that 5 and 6 weight rods do best at turning those patterns over.

I also seem to recall that there are many lakes up there with good trout fishing. A 6wt rod will often allow you to cast farther than lighter rods would, and will also work better with the full sinking lines that are commonly used in stillwater fishing.

Not saying Steve's wrong, just pointing out some other considerations I thought might come into play in your area.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
I agree Cliff. Not knowing exactly what his mountain streams are like... it does complicate matters when trying make an accurate rod recommendation.

You're right, If there is any heavy, fast flowing, water you certainly don't want you fish to get in it... especially if he has any size to him. Then, its almost a given that you'll lose him. So, you need the power to keep him out of there. That's true for any size river or stream. Cliff, I think you've just helped me add a new paragraph to my "Perfect Small Stream Fly Rod" article.... thanks.

So, here we are again. What do I mean when I say, small (or mountain) stream? What does someone else mean when they say small stream? So, what is it? Is it a small stream, a spring creek or a narrow river? Perhaps it is a fast flowing and turbulent canyon stream? Are all of these really the same thing? All fly fishers are not on the same page here.

Look up “small stream” in the dictionary. What do you find? Nothing, right? There is no formal definition of this term. I know what I mean when I say “small stream”. But do you see in your mind the same thing that I see? Maybe, maybe not.

When Funnel30 spoke of a "mountain stream" I pictured in my mind a peaceful a small Canadian stream that is one that you can cast across easily just about anywhere on it, that you can wade, often cross in hip boots, and has most of its structure exposed to view. As you suggested, this may not be the type of stream he's referfing to at all. My Colorado streams are never fast flowing when I fish them. If I was trying to fish them in the heart of the runoff then I would likely select a heavier rod. Probably still wouldn't catch very much.

So yes... like I said, it seems to me that there are a lot of variables here. The great folks of this forum will be happy to assist with rod recommendations. But before we can even be close to accurate... we need to know as much about all of the factors you'll be facing. What size fish do you plan on catching? How far do you need to cast? What are the wind conditions on these waters? What size flies are you trying to cast? How can you best describe you mountain streams? etc... For some advice on a small stream rod, you might want to read "The Perfect Small Stream Fly Rod" at: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635

Curtis

Reaction score
Don't be worried about either of those reels. They are both extremely fine tools. The Sage would be better on bigger water as it is a large arbor and will help in those regards. But I love the Orvis CFO. It is actually one of my all time favorite reels.

Funnel30

Reaction score
Well the 2560 is the reel I have at the moment, it claims to be a 6-7wt reel. Does the reel have to match up to the rod wt? Well bottom line is I shouldn't have let the old man pick out my reel and rod, but when he's generous enough to pay top dollar for gifts who's saying no, so what my plan is going to be is to just go back to the store and pick out what I want and what feels good to me.
This board has been great and I look forward to posting on here any fishing excursions I may be going on in the future. Sorry about that Curtis, I will change my signature to something else so as not to confuse any other members. Well I have one final question and that is in regards to reading material. Not necessarily how to stuff, but more along the lines of fictional work, does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks again.

Funnel30

BigCliff

Reaction score
On the weight issue, regarding using a 6/7wt reel on a 5wt rod, if there was ever a reel that was ideal to do that pairing with, I think you've got it. I'm pretty sure that reel will be on the very light side for that range and will likely balance the average 4pc 9' 5wt just fine. But I'm more inclined to put a reel on a given rod that some would call a little too heavy. Using a slightly oversized reel like that will also give you more room between the line and the frame, which can prevent the rubbing that can possibly break a fish off.

On the reading, yeah, Gierach is great. Googling "fly fishing fiction" would probably get you some good stuff as well. I've got a great book by Ed Shenk called "Trout Tales" which is kind of a memoir that's a combo of fishing stories with some technique laced in there. I found it real cheap, you probably could too.

cuttbow

Reaction score
Hi
Take the Sage(it will hold up just fine) and the 6 wt if you are gonna fish the Bow it is large water with large fish and ALOT of wind. Plus if you are taking a drift boat the guide will probably tie steamer patterns on and it is easier to cast all day with the 6 IMHO :frogdance

Funnel30

Reaction score
Cuttbow,
If I'm going to be heading down to the crowsnest and cataract creek will the 6wt be as efficient as it would on the bow? Thats what I am not totally sure on, I like the smaller water, but the bow will be good I figure it out. Thanks again for all the replies, I've read a bit of Gierach, it's good stuff to read when stuck in Nebraska.

cuttbow

Reaction score
Funnel

The 6 wt is more efficient by design if you mean will it cast longer with less effort. If you want presentation the smaller the wt the more delicate the cast and more finicky to control so if you can only take one rod and reel(why is that by the way?)take the 6 so you can fish the largest river and put smaller tippets on for the smaller water to give the fish a chance:frogdance

troutbum

Reaction score
First of all I have many years experience fishing both the Bow and the crowsnest,both are fantastic for different reasons and both are very different.if you plan on fishing the bow anywhere near or below calgary keep in mind that it is a very large river that holds plenty of massive trout(both brown's and 'bow's)The wind near and below calgary can be a huge factor and alot of guy's use a rocket taper,If you plan on walking and wading the bow I would recomend a large arbor reel with a very trust worthy drag as almost every fish will smoke off almost all your backing,The crowsnest is a very pretty river that is not unlike most of the mountian streams in the area,except it get's alot of preasure,and that was the reason I stopped fishing it,the crowsnest is a stream not a river it is not a problem to roll cast across it in most places it amazes my how such a small stream can handle the volume of people who come from everywhere to fish it,reels on the upper crowsnest are there to hold line and that's about it,I must say I have only fished the crow from around coleman to well below the falls.oh there is one exception here,if you plan on going after bull trout in the crow your gonna want a reel with some stopping power they get huge and are very powerfull,if you want some alterative's to the crowds on the crow let me know and I can point you in the direction of some outstanding water in the rockies 20mins from coleman.......tight lines..

troutbum

Reaction score
keep in mind cataract hold's mostly brook trout to 15" and is a small creek,the crow holds fish to 20" and the bow has massive brown's and rainbows to 30inches that are shaped like football's,and the water can be fast and you will want a reel with stopping power to keep fish out of stuff you just dont want them in,I always take 2 different set up's for the bow that only get used on the bow it is totally different than the crow or cateract,I have the geirach collection and I consider "trout bum" a must read.

Funnel30

Reaction score
If your going to be fishing the crow and other places like it what set up would you take? Would a 5wt do the job? What about places such as the highwood and livingston? This summer I plan on making some trips down that logging trail trying to find some spots on those rivers.
The reason I only have one setup at the moment is because it's hard to spend a lot of money on rod and reels at the moment and convince the fiance that it is a necessity. So I will expand the collection when I can but for the moment I think a 5wt sounds like the all around rod that should be able to cover all the rivers. Any more insights and troutbum any locations would be greatly appreciated, I am in the south end of calgary, so whatever you have or information regarding rod information feel free to send me an email.

Curtis

troutbum

Reaction score
The highwood is a good riverwith easy access and the fishing has always seemed good for rainbows but I love the highwood for it's bull trout in the late summer and fall and if you want to keep some fish the highwood is full of rocky mtn whitefish in late summer,livingston is one of my favorite trout streams of all time it holds very good size and numbers of cutt's and bull trout turn off at chain lake and continue on dirt road over the "hump" and left at the "t"you will see livingston on your right there is a pull off where a small stream flows into it I fish it from there up untill it's unfishable.If you continue past livingston on the trunk road you will cross the upper oldman then dutch then racehorse,the oldman and dutch both have rough dirt roads that take off up the creek from the bridge and lead to open camping areas,on the weekend's dutch is filled with dirtbikers and campers but the fishing is fantastic,the oldman (upper) is great fish seem a bit larger than in dutch and not as busy,any flowing water in this area holds cutts and bulls and also whitefish,racehorse is past dutch and the roadthat takes you up to the headwaters is a oil servace road and can be tricky to find but the fishing on racehorse from the bridge up is great as well.5 or 6 years ago there where weekends when I was the only one fishing the area but now you will find lot's of fishermen on these creeks with dutch being the worst for crowds and race horse the least,like most fishing though the further up you go into the head waters the more solitude you will find,if you gointo these places be alert for bears as i have come across many make lot's of noise and I always carry bear spray,yes a 5wt is a great choice for line wt and rod and a hand full of hoppers,beadhead nymphs,and adams will fool most of the trout most of the time,dont bother with these creeks before the first week in july or later as run off will have them high and hard to wade,hope this help's you