Reel Question / Hardy Cascapedia

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey members,

This may sound a bit hokey coming from a guy who calls himself Hardyreels but here goes.

If you own a Hardy Cascapedia please tell me about them. I am teetering on the brink of buying one in the Mark II 8/9 size. No one around here has one so I have to mail order the reel so tell me what you know about them.

Thank You,

Ard

dshort

Reaction score
Ard, I don't have one, but are they still making the Cascapedia in England?

I do have 2 Bougle Mark IVs and they are sweet reels for sure.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Ard,

Here is a picture of the Hardy Cascapedia reel. I wanted to post a picture so everyone could see what reel you are asking about. I don't know anything about them but if looks count it is a winner.

Note: The over write on the top picture is from another web site. The writing is not on the reel.

Frank

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Frank,

I've been thinking on one of these since they started making them. I have an 8' 6" light salmon with a 4.5" butt that I have been sharing an Orvis Odyssey IV on it for a reel. Since the rod is cane I was thinking of getting something with a little more aesthetic value & a good drag. Not that the Odyssey isn't a good looking piece of equipment, it just looks too graphite for me. Like you said, they do look nice and if weight is not an issue (about 11.5 oz.) they advertise a good drag so...................

Talk about fussy, I'll get one and then post a gear report after having a chance to test it on some fish.

Ard

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Ard, talk about classy. I like that "S" curved handle. That is a lot of weight but most well made big reels are heavy.

Frank

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoa dshort,

Those are nice reels. I have a few of the 1998 Viscount large arbor disc drags. They are very good drags and I put them to the test.

Bougles, whoa, I've been thinking on one of them too.

dshort

Reaction score
Bougles, whoa, I've been thinking on one of them too.
I bought mine mostly on impulse because I liked they way they looked with the solid side plate on a bamboo rod. I've put the drag to test on the 3.5" reel a few times and that thing sings. From the info I've gathered since I bought mine the Mark IV is more desirable than the Mark V OR VI, because of the solid side plate, ala the Perfect. Some think it will be highly collectible in the future. The Mark IV isn't made anymore but I see them on ebay and ads on another forum from time to time.

I don't think you can go wrong with any model Hardy but I know I don't need to try to convince you of that. Incidentally, have you seen the movie The Lost World of Mr. Hardy? If not, it's worth a watch.

Here's a quick shot of the Bougle Mark IV:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5231/1000287.jpg

burk48237

Reaction score
I use to rep them. They don't currently make them in England. But if the one your looking at is engraved made in England, it is. The 8/9 has a compression/disc drag, which does a good job, the 2/3/4 and 5/6/7 are click and Pawl. They are beautiful reels, exquisitely crafted, and should last long enough for your grandchildren to use them. They are heavy, and they match up great with longer, heavier (bamboo) or Spey rods but tend to be to heavy to balance with lighter graphite rods. One other thing, While it is a great reel I would hesitate to use it in the salt at all. They are fairly tedious with some tiny screws to disassemble and would be a pain in the butt to rinse after salt exposure. But they are great Steelhead and Salmon reels.

burk48237

Reaction score
I bought mine mostly on impulse because I liked they way they looked with the solid side plate on a bamboo rod. I've put the drag to test on the 3.5" reel a few times and that thing sings. From the info I've gathered since I bought mine the Mark IV is more desirable than the Mark V OR VI, because of the solid side plate, ala the Perfect. Some think it will be highly collectible in the future. The Mark IV isn't made anymore but I see them on ebay and ads on another forum from time to time.

I don't think you can go wrong with any model Hardy but I know I don't need to try to convince you of that. Incidentally, have you seen the movie The Lost World of Mr. Hardy? If not, it's worth a watch.

Here's a quick shot of the Bougle Mark IV:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5231/1000287.jpg
The Mark IV may be the finest reel Hardy ever made. I have a 4" I use on a spey rod for King Salmon, I'd love to find (and be able to afford) a couple of 3 1/4" for a 5 weights. The drags sound great, but then so does the drag on my St. John for Steelhead.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I never did get to talk to a Cascapedia user but after kicking the idea around for a couple weeks I ordered one anyway. It took some doing but I found one that was 'new old stock' made in England.

I don't wish to engage the made in Asia subject but I did feel that if I were buying a reel that says 'Hardy' on it, then it better dam well say 'Made in England' also.

I will use the reel at every opportunity and post a report in the forums

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
KS,

As far as I know (or am led to believe) the perfect is the only reel still manufactured in the UK. I will give Hardy credit as the cost of the Korean made reels is reduced compared to their former UK. counterparts. I just watched a new 2 5/8" perfect having left hand wind (beautiful reel) sell for $751 on eBay today. I have always lusted after that particular model for use with my flea but since I have almost no use for lightweight tackle here in AK. I will continue to admire them from afar.

Ard

ksbrowntrout2

Reaction score
The Hardy perfect is a dream of mine as well.

On the Cascapedia:

I've held one in my hand, but I've never fished one. They are a very ellegant reel. BUT THEY ARE VERY HEAVY. Solid drag system so Im told.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ks,

I have had many Hardy reels but never a perfect. One of the tiny trout models would be a real prize but like I said, up here I can't justify any more light tackle. I have lots of trout rigs that gather dust most of the year because there just are not many opportunities to fish for small fish. No brag just fact, it is not unusual to hook 20" or larger fish when trout fishing and having to play and land them on light reels isn't that much fun so I buy heavy gear with heavy drags.

I have an old bamboo salmon rod that I have tried three different reels on and all were too light. The rod is 8' 6" and has a 5" fighting butt so it's kinda like a short two handed rod. This isn't the type of rig that you do a lot of false casting with, you just spot a lie and make single casts until you get a take. The reel is actually two ounces lighter than the Odyssey IV I have been using thus far. This will be a rod and reel that I fish the way you would take a 1966 mustang in mint condition out for a drive, not the every day rig but a real pleasure when you do use it. I will post a photo of the rod and reel together when it arrives.

Ard

ksbrowntrout2

Reaction score
The cascapedia would make sense on a heavier shorter rod. Im sure youll enjoy the new rod reel set up