Rant time!!!

ksigtuck

Reaction score
I should probably apologize first before you read this! As some of you know, I ordered an Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 3 wt blank and accessories from mudhole over a month ago. The blank and accessories came in and the only thing missing was the Struble reel seat. The reel seat was on back order and after a month of hearing it would be in in a couple of days I finally found out that it had not even been built yet by Struble. Struble was still waiting on the wood to make it. I canceled that part of the order and ordered a Bellinger reel seat that arrived within 3 days and I could not be happier with. Now for my rant...My blank came in but was missing the "Orvis Superfine" logo that displays the rod weight, length, and flex info. I called mudhole and was told that the only decal they had for the rod was the "trout bum" decal which came with my rod. Mudhole told me that I would have to take up the matter with Orvis. For the past month and a half I have been calling Orvis trying to get the decal that I need. I have talked numerous times to the head of the rod repair department and was told each time that she would take care of it that day and call me back. Well I never got a phone call. I finally talked to someone else and they said they would send the decal my way. This brings us to yesterday....I get home and have a package from Orvis and am ecstatic that my decal has finally come in so I can build the rod. I opened the package and in it was the "Trout Bum" decal that I already had. Well I called the number on the package and they said that they would get the correct decal out to me. Last night I went ahead and glued on the cork and reel seat and get everything ready to attach the decal that I expect in a couple of days. Today I receive an email from Orvis stating that the "decal" that I need is not a sticker, "it is machined on at the factory". After many phone calls today I am told that they have no idea how it left the factory without this information being placed on the rod. I am then told that I can send it back in and they will put it back through the machine....it will only take 4-6 weeks! Well now I don't know what to do. I really want to finish the rod and fish it as I have waited a month and a half to build it while I was being told the decal was on its way but at the same time I am afraid if I just skip having this put on the blank it will not be worth as much if I decide to sell it. I really don't know who to blame in this situation...is it mudholes fault for selling an Orvis blank without Orvis's name on it or is it just a mistake that Orvis made sending it from the factory without checking to make sure that the blank was complete before sending it out? I have thought of calling Mudhole to see how they would remedy this but at the same time I can't exactly take the cork and reel seat off this rod to trade them out for another. How would you all handle this?
Thanks and sorry for the rant, just frustrated as this is the first rod I have ever built.
Tuck

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Tuck,

I too am a bit anal about things like this but since I'm only a bystander I'll offer this; I have a 1979 7'9" Far & Fine Orvis, I will never sell it and after a few years the logo on the butt meant little to me. It is my rod and I like it. I also fish with a 6'3" 5wt. that I made from a 6'6" set of Lamiflex blanks years ago, (I don't know why I wanted it 6'3") all it has on the butt is my name scripted with a fountain pen and then a clear coat over it. None of this will ease your frustration over this boondoggle but I would finish the rod and put my name on it if I were you. If you want to sell it someday acetone will remove the script. It would be unethical to sell the rod even with the Orvis logo and not inform the buyer that you were the finisher. So the rod will need some explaining at the time of sale logo or no logo. The potential buyer will have to decide if the logo has a great level of value to them.

Ard

mojo

Reaction score
What's the big deal about missing some writing on a blank. You got the trout bum sticker. It's a custom built rod. I build rods and refuse to put any brand name on them. Practice your penmanship, go to Michaels and buy a Speedball ink pen set and, in your handwriting, put down what you want, Orvis or Tuck's Rod Works X'x" 3w. That makes it more personal.
Not trying to be a smart arse, which I am (but that's another story), but it's your Custom Built by "Tuck" rod. Not Orvis' Trout Bum (that's just the blank)
Get a Speedball pen, put a coat of thin epoxy on where you're going to write it, let it dry overnite, write on it, let it dry 24 hrs. and put one more coat of epoxy on. Then post the pictures.
Remember it's YOUR rod, not Orvis'.

ksigtuck

Reaction score
Mojo and Hardy: Both very good points! I guess my biggest worry was if for some reason I did not like the rod and decided to sell it. Was worried that the rod would not bring the money without the Orvis logo on it. Could be wrong but I do like the idea of writing whatever on the rod. Guess now would be a good time to practice on my penmanship...sure beats the alternative of sending the rod off for 4-6 weeks.
Tuck