Batson rods and blanks?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I'm considering building a spey rod with a blank made by Batson. It's the 'Rainshadow' blank in a 13'6" 8-9wt with a moderate/fast action. What little I have been able to find has been fairly positive, but I'm looking for more input.

hardhat

Reaction score
I have built on many of the Batson blanks. I especially like their RX8+ blanks. I would also say that I have been happy with their quality, consistancy, and selection. My guess would be that their spey blank will be in the medium to medium fast catagory.

Last edited:

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Fysh,

Who sells them and how much?

Ard,
I was planning on ordering from 'Anglers Workshop' as I've been looking through my catalogue of theirs, but I just took a gander at the website and I don't see the 'Rainshadow' listed this year, only the Batson 'Forecast' spey blanks. Maybe it's no longer available, I dunno?:confused:

Here's their link to that blank. http://www.anglersworkshop.com/items.aspx?catid=2288
The Forcast is about 20-25 bucks less.

I also noticed they have 'Beulah' blanks available, don't know anything about them.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

I have built on many of the Batson blanks. I especially like their RX8+ blanks. I would also say that I have been happy with their quality, consistancy, and selection. My guess would be that their spay blank will be in the medium to medium fast catagory.

Thanks Hardhat, glad to get the info. Where do you get your blanks?

---------- Post added at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:56 PM ----------

Ard,
I found a boatload of them on e-bay from a company out of Boise called 'Anglers Habitat'.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
quote:I found a boatload of them on e-bay from a company out of Boise called 'Anglers Habitat'
I've bought two rods from them for friends a Redington CPX and a Custom Sage TCX made by the boss named Wayne,he's a nice guy and did a great job....if you order something you can say Jean-Paul from France sent you;)

fyshstykr

Reaction score
quote:I found a boatload of them on e-bay from a company out of Boise called 'Anglers Habitat'
I've bought two rods from them for friends a Redington CPX and a Custom Sage TCX made by the boss named Wayne,he's a nice guy and did a great job....if you order something you can say Jean-Paul from France sent you;)

Jean Paul,
If I decide to go with the Rainshadow blank it looks like I may have to order from them. I'm afraid they will charge me 'double' or refuse to sell to me if I drop your name!! :p j/k. Thank you sir.

Ard,
The blank seems to get good reviews, and it's priced right.
I'm wanting to order soon but I'm getting the feeling Pam would like me to wait. Could she be planning for Christmas already? :)

Auntie Em

Reaction score
If you're having problems finding someone who sells Batson, try Hook and Hackle www.hookhack.com Tell Ron I sent you. Friends discount only gets you charged 3X the going rate!! I've built many, many Batson blanks. Very happy with each and all.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Thanks Auntie Em. I always enjoy your sense of humor. :D I will keep them in mind also, I'm just not sure I can afford them at the moment. ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Fysh,

It turns out I had this in my browser; http://www.jsflyfishing.com/

They have the Forecast blanks starting at $75.95 I am going to send an e-mail now to get a price together on a kit. After using that Sage VT2 on Tuesday I may save my pennies and get the VT2 blanks. After you get past the blue color they seem to really work well.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I'm with ya Ard, not a big fan of Blue either but if that's what I have to have...I guess I can get used to it, especially if the rod performs well. Site added to 'Favs'. Thanks.

I didn't hear how your trip the other day went, have you posted about it?

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Bastons home page/catalog show them (13ft-er) for $102; Stockard has the 13'-er for $84. Ron (H&H) doesn't list his 13'-er but I'm guessing it would be in the same ball park. The blue is a really, really deep blue almost black ... it won't bother you a bit!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I put a thread up in the fly rod forum titled; Evaluating the Sage VT2.

Auntie, I'm talking about the blue on the Sage VT2 blanks not the Batson

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I also noticed they have 'Beulah' blanks available, don't know anything about them.

Here's a review on a Beulah 12'6" 6 weight Platnium Series Spey Rod.

Beulah has two series of Spey rods: the Classic and the Platnium. The classic has a mid flex action. The Platnium has a full flex and uses a much lighter blank.

Of the two series, I prefer the Classic more than the Platnium because I feel more comfortable casting the Classic.

One thing that I learned about the Beulahs is that their Spey and switch rods cast best with their lines.

Here's Beulah's website.

MP

Bamboo10

Reaction score
I think that Batson now calls it's spey rods just Forcast, I built a 10 ft. 8" 5 wt. Rainshadow switch rod and was very pleased with the rod. I needed a spacing chart, contacted them and got the information from them the next day.
For a list of dealers and information here is a link to Batson's site.
http://www.batsonenterprises.com/

GJ

hardhat

Reaction score
I usually find them at Schneiders Rods, Dan Craft and the Hook & Hackle.
The Switch rod blank and spey blanks are different. Honestly the Beulah kind of reminds me of Tiger Eye blanks. However I have not built or thrown one of their switch rods. I have used one of 9' rods. I have built several of the Batson Switch rod blanks also. They are a tad too short for normal spey rods.

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
Yes I put a thread up in the fly rod forum titled; Evaluating the Sage VT2.

Auntie, I'm talking about the blue on the Sage VT2 blanks not the Batson

I had a Sage VT2 9'0" 5 wt. and I didn't like it that much; tip was too soft for my taste. I traded it in for a Sage Z-Axis 9'0" and I've had that rod now for 3 years. Not sure about the VT2 blank for the higher weight rods; particularly spey rods. I know that one of the advertising points for the VT2 series was that Sage said that it was, essentially, a different rod for each weight; not simply a lighter or heavier variation of their mid-weight rods.