Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43
  1. #11

    Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    Suppose I want to build this thing on a more expensive blank...would you not recommend that for a first build? Is it really going to be that bad??? I won't mind some aesthetic mishaps, but I don't want to ruin an expensive blank somehow.

  2. #12

    Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    There is NO WAY you can totally ruin a blank. Unless you break it. But, that's not going to happen!!

    You may build an Orvis, hand crafted bamboo, Sage, Winston, Batson, H&H, Tiger Eye or anything else. The key to building is to go slow. Step away if you get frustrated (not for very long ... just a short time out!). Practice before you wrap. Anything put on before the finish can be removed and redone.

  3. #13

    Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    Suppose I want to build this thing on a more expensive blank...would you not recommend that for a first build? Is it really going to be that bad??? I won't mind some aesthetic mishaps, but I don't want to ruin an expensive blank somehow.
    What size and weight you looking to build?
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

  4. #14

    Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    What size and weight you looking to build?
    Im not sure...but I would like to build something that I would grab to fish with all of the time; so I would like to get a blank of a rod that I have actually handled before and know that I like. I need a 7/8 wt rod, but I would rather build a trout rod, that is what I fish most of the time. Maybe some suggestions? Here's what I have: 7ft 4wt, 8ft 4 wt, 9' 5 wt. I don't like 3 wts, so 4wt is as low as I want to go. I would build a 6 or 7 but I would hardly ever use it. Maybe whatever blank I can find on closeout that I know I like.

  5. #15

    Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    Im not sure...but I would like to build something that I would grab to fish with all of the time; so I would like to get a blank of a rod that I have actually handled before and know that I like. I need a 7/8 wt rod, but I would rather build a trout rod, that is what I fish most of the time. Maybe some suggestions? Here's what I have: 7ft 4wt, 8ft 4 wt, 9' 5 wt. I don't like 3 wts, so 4wt is as low as I want to go. I would build a 6 or 7 but I would hardly ever use it. Maybe whatever blank I can find on closeout that I know I like.
    Check these out. Go through the rest of the pages. There are more blanks. Don't know if it helps.
    CLEARANCE & SPECIALS - Product Catalog

    http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Sag...ale-P3015.aspx

    http://www.flyfishingcrazy.com/rodblanks
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

  6. Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    I just finished up my second solo. Netcraft blank 6 wt 8 foot fiber glass. Fast action glass though so nice for streamers.
    The rod blank is black so I put Black nickel Guides, Tip Top, Hook keep and a black reel seat with black nickel insert with an etched Trout. I did black wrapping....so total black out.






  7. #17

    Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    Awful quiet in here! Does that mean you all are looking through the catalogues? Or, do you have all the parts, and are ready to go?

  8. #18

    Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    I actually spent the weekend looking at catalogues for both material and equipment...

    BUT...I already have homework from the panfish fly swap and I have not one but two rods showing up in the next few days.

    Joni's rod looks awesome though so I may end up missing yet another deadline at work

    Kai.

  9. #19

    Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    Awful quiet in here! Does that mean you all are looking through the catalogues? Or, do you have all the parts, and are ready to go?


    I'm looking and thinking.

    Maybe a 7' Lamiglass 3 wt.

  10. #20

    Default Re: Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    Awful quiet in here! Does that mean you all are looking through the catalogues? Or, do you have all the parts, and are ready to go?
    I'm thinking about thinking about looking through the catalogues soon...Ill be a week or so before I get everything ordered.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Let's Build a Rod Together
    By Frank Whiton in forum Fly Rod Building
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 05-25-2017, 09:09 PM
  2. First build,any advice?
    By flymoron in forum Fly Rod Building
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM
  3. How Would This Be For a First Build
    By FlyBum in forum Fly Rod Building
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 08:00 AM
  4. How much for a pro build?
    By colotrout in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 11:39 PM
  5. Started my rod build
    By Outdoorarki in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •