Let's do it again!! Build a fly rod, that is!!

Auntie Em

Reaction score
With Franks encouragement, and blessings, and if you all want, I will pull together information for building your first fly rod. I will NEVER turn down a chance to add to my fly rod quiver!

The original rod build thread had over 57 hundred hits, so I'm guessing the interest is there. Unfortunately ( Nah ... that's a good thing! it's a great thread!!) much of the materials got buried with 100+ posts.

So ... you want to do it again?

What do you say? yea or nay???
Auntie Em

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Auntie Em is an accomplished rod builder and this is an excellent opportunity to get some help with your first fly rod build. We have recently had a few inquires about building again and Auntie Em has volunteered to help us along. So get your name in this thread and lets see how many we actually have that want to participate. There will be a list of materials and suggestions on where to buy what you need. You could also buy a kit and work with that. The main thing is to learn and have fun.

There are videos out there that do a really good job of giving information but you can't ask questions of a video. Auntie Em loves questions.

Frank

Here is a rod that Auntie Em built last year. You can see the quality of her work.

Lamiglas 7'4#, orange banded agate stripping guide, scarlet wraps, cigar grip, downlocking reel seat with myrtle wood insert. I did not use color lock on it. The Threadmaster finish left it the right/true color, and still had the translucency.:)

mudbug

Reaction score
hmmm, I may be into this for a good small creek rod. Maybe 6' - 7', medium action, 2/3 wt.

what are my options for blanks?

Fiberglass?

Bamboo? can you buy blanks? Price?

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Mudbug,
You'll only be limited by your own imagination! You can build on ANY blank you wish ... glass, graphite or bamboo! Any length, and weight, any price.

We'll get a few names on here of those interested, and I'll post some suppliers, some books, some sites, some practical ideas.

Hang in there for a bit, and we'll all get started at the same time!
Em

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I'm in, but I'll be a slow mover; probably better that way. I'll get to watch the thread and learn from everyone elses mistakes first. I know an extensive list is forthcoming, but can you give me a ballpark figure of the investment in tools/materials cost; aside from the blank? I'm not interested in having nice rod building equipment, but I do want the rod to be done right; good reel seat, cork, guides etc.

Pocono

Reaction score
I almost made a move on the last rod-building thread; when Mojo and Auntie started it up; but I was working then. I'm retired now! :)

I'd love to build a rod. I may be hampered though by a move that's coming up at the start of May; we're moving out of the Poconos.

So, depending on when this rod building project starts up, and what kind of materials, tools and space are needed, I'd like to give it a try.

A small stream rod sounds like a great place for me to start.

Pocono

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Basic ... Phone book, coffee cup, cardboard box, scissors ... got that stuff hanging around the house?? You can build a fly rod!! If you find you really enjoy building? Do like the rest of us, and add as you go! Rod building can be as addictive as fly fishing ... or fly tying ...

Just keep in mind that the first rod you build is that ... your FIRST rod! It's amazing how neat it is to stand at the stream, and actually catch a fish on a rod you have built!

Cost ... gathered from two of the MANY suppliers ...

BASIC 9' 6/7 weight 4 piece build.
9'6/7 wt 4 pc blank Tiger Eye 38.00
chrome #8 tip top sz 4.0 .76
4 #2 chrome guides @.34 1.36
3 #3 chrome guides @.34 1.02
1 #4 chrome guide @.34 .34
1 #10 stripping guide (J.Stockard).59
1 #12 stripping guide (J.Stockard).59
7 1/2" single Wells cork grip 7.50 (inletted)
Densiwood walnut/chrome seat 9.26 (up or down locking)
thread (J.Stockard) 2.25
hook keeper (J.Stockard) .39
winding check (J.Stockard) .35
wrap finish (J.Stockard) 11.85
rod bond (J.Stockard) 13.55

total 87.81

Most serviceable, good looking rod.

A little fun for you and a little bling for the rod!

Same basic 9' 4 pc 6/7 wt Tiger Eye 38.00
Add TICH guides, same # only 2.95 ea 23.60
Add TICH tip top same size 4.10
Add Struble Agate stripping guide 32.00
Add second TICH stripping guide 7.25
Add standard measured winding check 6.95
Add ring and saddle hook tender 2.95
Add Struble cork 40.95
Add Struble up locking nickel-silver
burl madrone wood insert reel seat 51.44
Keep the finish 11.85
Keep the rod bond 13.55
keep basic thread 2.25
Add metallic thread for trim 2.75

Total : 237.64
Add hand rod wrapper 79.95
Add drying motor 89.95

Total : 407.54

And ... unless you know, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference looking at the finished product!

The main idea is to have fun!

Auntie Em

Reaction score
I have NO financial interest in any of these suppliers. I just have used them for years, and years, and know them to be good. In the Hook and Hackle catalogue, and the Mud Hole catalogue, are some really good instructions on rod building. Enjoy browsing each of these sites ... bring a kleenex or two to wipe the drool off your chins!

Material sources:

J. Stockard fly fishing JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials

Hook & Hackle Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Supplies and Fly Rod Building Supplies The Hook & Hackle Company

Workshop Angler's Workshop - Fishing Rods, Reels, Rod Building and Fly Tying Angler's Workshop - Fishing Rods, Reels, Rod Building and Fly Tying

Golden Witch Golden Witch Technologies, Golden Witch Fly Fishing Golden Witch Technologies, Golden Witch Fly Fishing

Snake Brand Guides Snake Brand Snake Guides

Custom Rod Building Supplies .com - Home customrodbuildingsupplies.com

fiberglassflyrodders Forums

Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.

Mud Hole Custom Tackle | The World's Largest Rod Building Supplier

"Tiger Eye" Private Label Fly Rod Blanks

Custom Fly Rods and Spinning Rods | Midwest Custom Fly Rods

REC Reel Seats,Rod Case,Cork,RECOIL Guides,Rod Building Supplies

Genuine Bellinger Reel Seats

Books:

Flex Coat step by step Rod Building

Hand crafting a Graphite Fly rod L.A. Garcia

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Suppose I want to build this thing on a more expensive blank...would you not recommend that for a first build? Is it really going to be that bad??? I won't mind some aesthetic mishaps, but I don't want to ruin an expensive blank somehow.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
There is NO WAY you can totally ruin a blank. Unless you break it. :eek: But, that's not going to happen!!

You may build an Orvis, hand crafted bamboo, Sage, Winston, Batson, H&H, Tiger Eye or anything else. The key to building is to go slow. Step away if you get frustrated (not for very long ... just a short time out!). Practice before you wrap. Anything put on before the finish can be removed and redone.

mojo

Reaction score
Suppose I want to build this thing on a more expensive blank...would you not recommend that for a first build? Is it really going to be that bad??? I won't mind some aesthetic mishaps, but I don't want to ruin an expensive blank somehow.
What size and weight you looking to build?

ausablebrown

Reaction score
What size and weight you looking to build?
Im not sure...but I would like to build something that I would grab to fish with all of the time; so I would like to get a blank of a rod that I have actually handled before and know that I like. I need a 7/8 wt rod, but I would rather build a trout rod, that is what I fish most of the time. Maybe some suggestions? Here's what I have: 7ft 4wt, 8ft 4 wt, 9' 5 wt. I don't like 3 wts, so 4wt is as low as I want to go. I would build a 6 or 7 but I would hardly ever use it. Maybe whatever blank I can find on closeout that I know I like.

mojo

Reaction score
Im not sure...but I would like to build something that I would grab to fish with all of the time; so I would like to get a blank of a rod that I have actually handled before and know that I like. I need a 7/8 wt rod, but I would rather build a trout rod, that is what I fish most of the time. Maybe some suggestions? Here's what I have: 7ft 4wt, 8ft 4 wt, 9' 5 wt. I don't like 3 wts, so 4wt is as low as I want to go. I would build a 6 or 7 but I would hardly ever use it. Maybe whatever blank I can find on closeout that I know I like.
Check these out. Go through the rest of the pages. There are more blanks. Don't know if it helps.
CLEARANCE & SPECIALS - Product Catalog

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Sage-TXL-Rod-Blank-Closeout-Sale-P3015.aspx

http://www.flyfishingcrazy.com/rodblanks

Joni

Reaction score
I just finished up my second solo. Netcraft blank 6 wt 8 foot fiber glass. Fast action glass though so nice for streamers.
The rod blank is black so I put Black nickel Guides, Tip Top, Hook keep and a black reel seat with black nickel insert with an etched Trout. I did black wrapping....so total black out.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Awful quiet in here! Does that mean you all are looking through the catalogues? Or, do you have all the parts, and are ready to go?

khl

Reaction score
I actually spent the weekend looking at catalogues for both material and equipment...

BUT...I already have homework from the panfish fly swap and I have not one but two rods showing up in the next few days.

Joni's rod looks awesome though so I may end up missing yet another deadline at work :eek:

Kai.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Awful quiet in here! Does that mean you all are looking through the catalogues? Or, do you have all the parts, and are ready to go?
I'm thinking about thinking about looking through the catalogues soon...Ill be a week or so before I get everything ordered.