Let's Build a Rod Together

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have seen several post about putting together a fly rod. If we have some interest, Mojo has volunteered to help coordinate and provide technical information as needed. This will be a chance for someone who has never put together a rod to get their feet wet. I think Mojo can steer you to some materials that won't break the bank. You don't have to be a beginner if you want to join in.

So lets get a list started and so we can see who might be interested. Wrapping your own rods can save you some money and you will get a great satisfaction from fishing your own rod.

This will be the first time we have done this so we will have to learn as we go along. Let us know what you think.

Thanks ahead of time to Mojo for volunteering to run this.

Frank

Auntie Em

Reaction score
This ought to be good ... er ... fun ... er ...interesting! Oh, hell! Just put me on the list!! I look forward to it!! Thanks MOJO!!

mojo

Reaction score
This ought to be good ... er ... fun ... er ...interesting! Oh, hell! Just put me on the list!! I look forward to it!! Thanks MOJO!!
Betty, I told Frank that I would enlist the help of others. Now that you've posted on this thread, your experience is welcome. I ain't taking the blame for all of this!:icon_bigg

mojo

Reaction score
Maybe I can help with some of the rod art type stuff, like feather inlays.
That'll work. We'll start out with the basics. What rod weight and size. Then the blank. For a good price there are Tiger Eye blanks that are reasonably priced. I've never built one or cast one, but there are lot's of folks out there that really like them. We'll go over what we'll need to get started, where to buy the materials etc. Maybe now's the time to 'sign' up some people. Frank, how'd you want to do this.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Mojo,
The Tiger Eye blanks are indeed beautiful blanks, and most reasonably priced, too! I've built probably a dozen or more of them, and they never cease to amaze me.
Only caution ... while fishing them. If you don't pay attention to your fishing, you can easily be distracted by the way the sun light plays on the tiger eye pattern in the rod!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Mojo,

Here is who has indicated they are in or are interested.

1. HuronRiverDan
2. Auntie Em
3. dmwphoto
4. wildtrout
5. tonysav
6. Ty 1 On
7. Diver Dan

I am not sure if Auntie Em and Diver Dan are going to make a rod or just help.

I think we have enough to get started. The Tiger Eye blanks seems to be well liked by many that have used them. I think the next step is to put together a parts list with prices so everyone knows what their project will cost for a specific sized rod. We need to tell everyone where to purchase the materials and then give them time to get every shipped and in hand.

Some Questions?

1. Is everyone going to make the same length/wt rod? Should we do a specific length/wt so the material list can be the same for everyone?

2. After we have a material list we need to advise where the materials can be purchased. If we can, it would be better to order everything from one place be each individual.

3. We need to advise what tools will be needed and how to make some basic things.

4. Some participants may find the cost too high or the construction is too complicated or too much work. So we need to reconfirm that everyone is good to go after they know what is involved.

We may stumble through this being our first time but in the end I think it will work out. This is going to be a great opportunity for anyone who has ever thought about making their own rod.

Frank

dmwphoto

Reaction score
I have decided to stand back and observe this process. I have no knowledge of the tools or techniques involved but am very curious.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Dave,
If you can take the pictures you do (and I've seen them!), if you can flip a switch, load film, advance a shot ... you can build a rod!!!!! Phone book, tea cup, cardboard box, scissors ... got that stuff hanging around the house?? You can build a fly rod!!
You really should give it a try!! If you get totally swamped, send it to me, and I'll finish it for you! NO! That doesn't go for all of you! I'm just trying to prove my point!! T'ain't no way I'll see that rod!!
Auntie Em

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

The tools you need you probably already have at home. There is nothing special to buy if you don't want to. If you have ever considered making your own rod this is the a great time to give it a go.

Frank