Bamboo rod tube

304rodco

Reaction score
A gift from my uncle. Now I have to make a rod to fit it.

These are for sale if anyone is interested. Other material than bamboo too.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I am fighting to get it on the site. Yes they are for sale.
Super! I so want to connect that link up onto several other Boards. In the fishing equipment business there is little that's 'unique,' a 'one off' sort of thing. You've got one there.

If you'd be so kind, when you've go your web site up-dated, PM me and let me know. The "Boo-Boys" will be all over that thing!

Fred

fredaevans

Reaction score
I think you're going to need another tube to protect the tube :rolleyes:
Possibly. But I'd have a heavy wrapper of Plastic tube to put over the tube too. (Now that was atrocious use of the English Language:eek:.)

But you'd be 'one of one' when you pulled that out of the back of the car at a 'Boo 'Clave.' Worth an extra 100 points in the "Cool Factor."
:D

Fred

Last edited:

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Darn, Lee!!!!! That is one of the most beautiful, if not THE most beautiful, rod tubes I've ever seen!

I don't want one for my boo rod ... I just want to hold it and carry it around!!!:eek:

mojo

Reaction score
Lee, that's nice.
Now here's something to dwell on, take your bamboo pieces and split them into 2" squares. Glue them up and turn them for reel seats. Example- your third picture down (open other end) the way it's stacked looks cool. Or not.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Posted the link to this thread on three (or was it four?) other sites ... Guys are going 'I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE THINGS!'

Lee, there's an old one liner that I've always found to be true:

"Be careful of what you wish, your wish could come true." Passed that one-liner off to a custom reel maker months ago when 'I' started to 'promote' the reels he builds (no financial connection short of my credit card number) as they are really 'over the top' in construction and something the 'average guy' could really afford to buy.:wavetowel

When all that started he was selling/machining one-two reels per week. Now he works on Saturday's and Sundays.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
fae

richardw

Reaction score
Posted the link to this thread on three (or was it four?) other sites ... Guys are going 'I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE THINGS!'

Lee, there's an old one liner that I've always found to be true:

"Be careful of what you wish, your wish could come true." Passed that one-liner off to a custom reel maker months ago when 'I' started to 'promote' the reels he builds (no financial connection short of my credit card number) as they are really 'over the top' in construction and something the 'average guy' could really afford to buy.:wavetowel

When all that started he was selling/machining one-two reels per week. Now he works on Saturday's and Sundays.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
fae
Surely this might be considered by some as just conspicuous consumption? Wouldn't the cane be better put to use if it was split and made into rods? How many rods could be made out of the cane needed for the tube? I thought good cane was hard to source. Or am I being a miserable old bugger and shouldn't be concerned as the cane was not good enough for actually making rods with but fine for making this very pretty tube?
:confused:
richard

mojo

Reaction score
Surely this might be considered by some as just conspicuous consumption? Wouldn't the cane be better put to use if it was split and made into rods? How many rods could be made out of the cane needed for the tube? I thought good cane was hard to source. Or am I being a miserable old bugger and shouldn't be concerned as the cane was not good enough for actually making rods with but fine for making this very pretty tube?
richard
Not all bamboo is created equal.
It's a blood sport we choose to engage in. So some fish die after being released, some bamboo gets made into flooring or cutting boards. Or in this case this case, rod tubes.[poke]

304rodco

Reaction score
Thanks all, but my uncle deserves all the credit. I do think he has come up with a pretty unique item.

Mojo - I am probably going to try an all bamboo rod. Ferrules, grip and reel seat.

304rodco

Reaction score
richard
The case is turned out of laminated stock. It was never destined for rod making. I have thought about trying to do something with my waste strips but haven't found anything other than selling them as practice strips to new makers.

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

Update. I've read two responses that suggest the asking price of the Boo-Tube will be right at $500.00.
fae
Yes, it will be $500. My standard tubes are aluminum from Landmark. These are eyeball popper sort of things.

304rodco

Reaction score
I am not sure how long he can make them. I will get more details. My uncle made this one for me and I asked if he would be interested in selling them. We are still working out the details. I have 3 other tubes that I will post pictures of later this evening. I chuck mine into the back of my pickup with the same care I take with my other tubes - see none. They hold up just fine.