The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (
-   Fly Rod Building (
-   -   Bubble Buster (

Frank Whiton 03-24-2010 07:56 AM

Bubble Buster
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried Bubble Buster on their wraps? Does it really work to remove bubbles?


Auntie Em 03-24-2010 12:57 PM

Re: Bubble Buster
I'm sorry, but I've not heard of a Bubble Buster.
I just lean in close to the offending bubble, take a deep breath, and exhale (haaaaaaaaah) on the wrap, and the bubbles go away. If it doesn't work the first time, I'll stop the action, and poke the bubble with a bodkin, start up the motor again, and maybe, to smooth it a bit, hit it with the hairdryer.

Jackster 03-24-2010 11:07 PM

Re: Bubble Buster
I've only built one rod but my guide and sensei in rod building, Bamboo10, had several bubble busters we used. Besides getting rid of bubbles, they really aided in keeping the epoxy flowing nicely.

Frank Whiton 03-25-2010 03:35 PM

Re: Bubble Buster
Hi Everyone,

I should have described what it is. It is a spray that you put on the wrap. Here is the description. Mud Hole is selling it. They won't let me copy a picture.


From Mudehole:

"Tired of getting bubbles in your epoxy? Then CRB Bubble Buster™ is for you!

Specially formulated for rod builders to release and help remove the bubbles that occur when applying 2-part epoxy finish to your rods. CRB Bubble Buster™ works by releasing the surface tension of the 2-part epoxy, allowing the encapsulated bubbles to rise and burst. The CRB Bubble Buster™ leaves no residue after application and works with all brands of 2-part rod finish epoxy.

CRB Bubble Buster™ is perfect for when the use of an open flame (i.e. flaming of the finish) is not an option schools, apartments, offices and other areas where an open flame is dangerous or not desirable.

Easy Application apply any 2 part epoxy rod finish to your custom rod and allow to level, position the CRB Bubble Buster™ easy spray bottle approximately 6 to 8 away from the epoxy surface and pump one spray to each side of the finished area.

CRB Bubble Buster™ is offered in a 2oz easy spray bottle. Flammable, keep away from open flame"

Jackster 03-26-2010 12:49 AM

Re: Bubble Buster
An alcohol torch with a controlled flame is what they called a bubble buster.
I think they came from Batson:

Auntie Em 03-26-2010 08:22 AM

Re: Bubble Buster
Hummm ... flammable spray stuff .... alcohol torch (again with the flames!!!).
Think I'm far safer, as well as the safety of my home and family, in just breathing on the wraps!!:eek:

mojo 03-26-2010 10:00 PM

Re: Bubble Buster
I just use a disposable butane lighter. 5" or 6" below warms up the epoxy enough to get rid of bubbles and smooth out any problems. That's if I use epoxy. When using spar, no bubbles allowed. For some reason I don't get bubbles with spar.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.40 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2005-2017 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.