Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Recoil guides - stripping guide

Hello
    I think about Stripping guide from Recoil - about stripping guide exactly. What do you think about it? It is made from steel wire only. I have Sage Z Axis built on Recoil guides, and when casting, I hear strange sound coming from this guide - line makes this sound when going through guide. Maybe this is not ugly sound but strange. At this moment I start to build rod on Sage ZXL #4 for dries and I got doubts - to built rod on Recoil stripping or to replace it with stripping with porcelain insert. What would you recommend?
    BR
    Tom

Default Re: Recoil guides - stripping guide

I didn't care for the Recoil stripping guides on the rods I had that had them. They not only seemed cheap, it seemed to me that the double hoop the line must go through should create more drag and friction.
    I used to get a sound, like a high-pitched harmonic, when my line was not dressed properly.

Unfortunatly the recoil guides are know for there sound. I prefer the Batson guides myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    Unfortunatly the recoil guides are know for there sound. I prefer the Batson guides myself.
    I had that dull, screeching sound one time on one rod I own with Recoils. I cleaned the line with a rather harsh soap (not detergent) and did not dress it or go over it with a 3M/SA abrasive-cleaning pad. Once I did the line right the problem stopped, never to return. The too clean line seemed to act like resin on a bow.
    Aside from the chintzy looking stripper guides, I like those Recoils. Too bad my favorite rod manufacturer stopped using them but then that same manufacturer never used their plain-Jane stripping guides, just the Recoil snake guides.

I have a few rods with Recoil snakes, and a regular striper. The Recoil snakes do make a bit of a humming sound when stripping line, so using a different stripper guide might not eliminate all the noise.

Hello
    Thanks for replies. I want to tell that sound itself is not so bad for me and does not me me angry. i got doubts, because I was told that stripper can hurt line. I do not think so, but I wanted to ask for your opinion. Moreover - more of my friends do not use Rec stripper because of its look - they simply do not like it.
    Thanks for answers
    BR
    Tom

Lightbulb Re: Recoil guides - stripping guide

well,
    i just ordered Recoil snakes for a new build. we shall see what we shall see
    and hear
    i like to try new things if the guides don't hold up i will make a comment to the dealer.
    if they do hold up i will make a comment to the dealer
    soooo......
    buzz

i like a single foot ceramic stripper

, may look out of place but movement of line through the guides is primary for me.

i sometimes have to use a single foot spinning guide, works just fine

got the reel seat glued onto the butt section,

guides not here yet

ordered a set of snakes also

the wooden insert is really nice, made it by hand from Redbud,, nice grain

what a process to make a thin tube of wood

super glue works perfectly for mounting the hardware, no mess.

all good

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory