Possible to salvage handle?

cwg

Reaction score
blank crushed, handle intact, salvageable? Or simply too much potential for real damage.
thought I'd replace the handle on one rod with the better one from the broken rod.
So, remove two handles in essence. Seemed like a possible winter/bad weather task.
thanks in advance, CWG

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I done it, but the short answer is..... No

If you bash the blank on both sides with a hammer it's possible to chip everything out but it's hardly worth it... even to a cheapskate like me.
:eek:

cwg

Reaction score
Pity, that was what I sort of figured.
It looks tapered as well, so I'd have to pull the guides I'm guessing to thread the old handle onto the donor blank too.
m'eh...

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Aaaacckkkk! If you haven't thrown it away yet ... you CAN save the handle to use on a different rod. Put the end of the rod in a baggie and submerge it in boiling water for a few minutes. Remove it from the water, and using hot pad holders, grasp the end of the handle and the crushed rod and pull them apart. If it's not loose enough, repeat the process. The epoxy should break loose, leaving you a workable handle.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
errrr, I don't think he means the reel seat, Em
by the 'handle' I'm pretty sure he's talking about the grip

cwg

Reaction score
Grip, reel seat, everything not rod- I have logged this into my memory for future use, good tip.
thanks, CWG

hardhat

Reaction score
I have tried the boiling trick and did not have any luck. If I really wanted to give it a go to save the handle and seat, I would try a drill and some files. I would break off the rod and try drilling out the glued part. Then I would go to work with a file. So in reality I would junk it and forget about it.