Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a fly rod with whatever bits and pieces you could lay your hands on

Blog Entries

Talking Building a fly rod with whatever bits and pieces you could lay your hands on

Last week I worked a lot at home with odd jobs and in the garden...cleaning and trimming the hedges...Larry told me I worked like a slave ...So on Friday morning I decided it was time for a break. I brought back electric hedge clippers to my neighbour and when I was in his garden I noticed some bamboos in a corner.-Can I take one?
    -Help yourself.What are you going to do with it?
    -Well...a fly rod!
    On Friday afternoon I started building the rod.I took the handle and reel seat of the Cortland I had broken last year,some guides from an old broken Marryat,some thread I found in the garage...
    I sanded the bamboo and cut it the size I wanted,fixed the handle,then the guides.Unfortunately I broke the tip when putting the last guide....was not going to stop!!!I cut a piece of the Marryat graphite tip and here we go!!!Finally found a varnish spray in the garage and by seven the rod was ready to fish.So here it is:a 7’2 UNsplit boographite 4wt one piece rod jpb tapper.
    That was a funny experience and I had a great time but the most amazing thing is that I tested the rod on Saturday and it casts very well.Hope Joni,Auntie Em,Dan,Lee and all the forum rod builders….will accept my apology.

Default Re: Building a fly rod with whatever bits and pieces you could lay your hands on

LMAO JP! Your too much.

Have you put a line on and cast it yet?

Default Re: Building a fly rod with whatever bits and pieces you could lay your hands on

PLEASE get a video of yourself casting that baby!
    Gary

I REALLY want to see the casting and catching on that "beauty"!!!!!! What a hoot!!!!!

And thank you ... I needed that!

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I love it! What weight do you think it is?

Blog Entries

Knew you would LOYAO Fysh
    I casted it in the garden and it works amazingly well
    Dan I used a 4 wt line...
    Auntie& Gary....I promise I will make a video...

Blog Entries

JP, we need more than a video of just casting, we need to see it bent with a fish on! What's the warranty like on it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
    JP, we need more than a video of just casting, we need to see it bent with a fish on! What's the warranty like on it
    Hey Gator....unconditional worldwide lifetime warranty on this rod
    Should go fishing on wednesday...hope to see it bent with a fish on

Blog Entries

Think you can make me one in a 12wt? I'm hard on my gear so I need a good warranty... et bon chance a mercredi!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Blog Entries

AJ...an 80' 12wt....why not? There's a bamboo forest not far from home...
    Have a look here:La Bambouseraie de Prafrance and here:La Bambouseraie de Prafrance)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast