Build your own tarpon rod?

gatortransplant

Reaction score
The problem with a lot of free time not spent fishing is a lot of free time spent thinking about fishing. I've decided I would like to pursue tarpon on the fly rather than with just the cheater stick next year, but as a broke grad student I need to do it on the cheap. I know that price-wise it is far less expensive to build my own, and I like the possibility of being able to tailor it to my own tastes. As much as I'd like a G. Loomis 12 wt or something on my rod rack, my wallet does not agree.

I've seen that Sevier makes a "Tiger Eye" blank in 4pc 12wt for under $90 dollars, and I've found a green heart abalone tarpon decal that I want to act as the thematic inspiration for the entire rod, with green and blue threading and hopefully a matching green heart abalone insert (or at least one that mimics the effect).

I am brand new to the fly rod building business, and I haven't seen a lot of customs in the tarpon-sized dept. Is this simply because the relative size of the market, or are there other factors involved? I am going to continue researching building my own rod, but am I crazy for seeking to built a 12wt as a starter? Am I going to run into problems with grips and seats or do the standard sizes more or less fit? I saw that with regard to dimensions, there is only a 0.05" difference in butt diameter, but I am not totally up on the specifics of rod building yet.

Who knows when all the money will come together for this creation but I won't be fishing for tarpon until next spring or summer so it's no hurry! I will continue trolling the fly rod building section and watching youtube videos and reading as much as I can on the subject!

A.J.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The reason you don't see too many dealers selling rod blanks heavier than a 9 or 10wt is only because (like you imagined) there's not much of a market for it.
A 12wt rod is no more difficult to put together than a 5wt.
You should be able to do it fairly cheaply and you may even find a GLoomis blank. I know they use to sell Loomis "blems" (factory seconds) but I haven't seen any lately.
I think you'll find the the major expense for a 12wt outfit will be in the reel.
There's not a whole lot of "affordable" reels of that size

edit
I'm having second thoughts about that last statement
I have a System II 10/11 that I only paid $100 for
I'm sure you could find something similar if you looked around

Last edited:

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I know that G.Loomis is out of the retail blank business now, unfortunately, so most of what I'm finding around is closeout sale stuff on "discontinued" product. I saw an American Matrix blank in 12wt but it was a 2pc so I kept looking. The Tiger Eye blank in 12wt I found is a 4pc and is advertised as a saltwater rod, both of which sound tempting.

After further research I've been thinking of putting the REC Recoil guides on the rod, and I find a company that makes ultra-thin abalone veneers with which I could wrap the reel seat insert to match the decal. However, now I need to find a high-quality photo of the finish of the tiger eye blank so I can photoshop everything together and see if the colors I have in mind match!

An added advantage of making a rod on the cheap: I don't mind throwing a more expensive reel on it, but I'm not one to complain if I can get a good one for inexpensive. The reel will be the next step, and maybe by then Allen Fly Fishing will have a 12wt in green anodized :p

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Hey John, I checked out the NFC site but I was unable to find a rod larger than 8wt. The larger rods could be hiding somewhere as he mentions fishing for some of the larger saltwater pursuits in his description of the saltwater rod blanks.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Oh, I see that now. Give em a call and see if they have anything.

As of yet I haven't bought any of his new companies blanks to try, but in speaking to them they told me if I "liked the feel & action of the old IMX, then I was gonna love these new blanks.":)