5wt build

williamhj

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my recently completed 4/5wt green Sevier rod. I built it for my sister-in-law whose learning to fly fish - my brother is giving it to her for Christmas. I made the grip from different corks and the chrome snake guides and an oversized tiptop will hopefully work well for her. I used a dropshot hook keeper for the first time. For thread I used black but highlighted it with black and silver craftsman's twist from Bullard.

I did a few personalized touches like sanding the grip down a bit more to fit a petite woman's hand and lowering the stripping guide to make it easier to reach the line. I also had her monogram engraved on the butt cap and used the silhouettes of their dogs that they used on their wedding invites on the decal. I also attempted my first feather inlay with a ring neck pheasant feather and two grizzly hackles, and like how the feather colors tie together the colors of the grip and the black and silver bands in the rod.

Thanks for looking!

- William

williamhj

Reaction score
I put a layer of finish over the base wraps and then used color preserver to hold down the feathers. This let me readjust them a bit before the cp dried and also allowed me to remove them when I realized I mess up in some way :). Then just another layer of finish over them.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Nice job! I was just looking at those drop shot hook keepers. I think with the way I like to go with the leader once around the fly reel foot those would work better than the folding ones I usually use.
I really like it, but was worried that it might be able to work it's way out with only one foot wrapped down (I'd never worked with single foot guides either). I did my own clumsy version of a forhan wrap and put a bunch of finish at the top of the foot to lock it in.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
William: Congrats, that is a great looking rod! I really liked your choice of thread color and the feather inlays.

williamhj

Reaction score
William: Congrats, that is a great looking rod! I really liked your choice of thread color and the feather inlays.
Thanks Larry!

My brother gave her the rod just after Christmas and it.was a hit. Can't wait to go fishing with her.

Pocono

Reaction score
Nice looking rod!

I'm just building my first one now, so I can appreciated the skill needed to do some of the things that you did on that rod.

I'm sure it was well appreciated by the recipient!

Pocono

dean_mt

Reaction score
I really like that silver thread, the grizzly hackle really compliments the pattern. Great job on the single trim wraps! Those are fun to do.

I did a black and silver rod last winter, I really like the look.

Great work, thanks for sharing.

williamhj

Reaction score
I really like that silver thread, the grizzly hackle really compliments the pattern. Great job on the single trim wraps! Those are fun to do.

I did a black and silver rod last winter, I really like the look.

Great work, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words. The single turns have a nice subtle look I think and aren't tough to do. I really like the bullard twist silver thread.

dean_mt

Reaction score
"bullard twist" - is that a specific style of thread?

I struggled with fine trim bands (two turns) trying to tie them in like other wraps until I found an excellent tutorial scanned from a book where you wind the trim thread with the main wrap and Bam! - it was like magic! You're right, once I got the hang of it, it was not all that hard.

I'll sneak a picture of my black 5wt from last winter, I had considered black guides, too - I was going to call it Mad Max.

williamhj

Reaction score
That's a sharp looking rod,thanks for posting the picture.

Bullard is a company and craftsmens twist is a line of thread they have. The one I used is black and silver twisted together but they have a bunch of other combos. They make Diamond II which is the finish I use on my wraps.