Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default material for wrap pull?

way back in the day when i built my first rod, only one to date, i just used winding thread as my wrap pull, seemed to work fine.
    recently i did some research and it seems that allot of builders are using bobbin threaders or an equally thin wire.
    is their any one who prefers either??

ARFE

Default Re: material for wrap pull?

I use flat waxed dental floss.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I use a small piece of winding thread ... just a different color than the thread I'm using for the wrap.

Mono loop.

Blog Entries

Hi Casey,

I believe any of the methods posted will work. I began by using the same thread as I was winding with. On the last rod I dressed I used mono cord tying thread. It was strong enough to take the quick pull that I use to slide the winding thread under and I had no issues with it breaking. Mono sounds like a good choice, it would be thin and strong. I would not choose the bobbin threader because I like the almost weightless properties of a small length of thread just sitting or hanging there on the wrap.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Just finished my first rod, I used both monofilament and a different colored thread. Mono was 3# test and it broke on me once. Since it was first build thread tension was always a concern and a couple times I had to pull pretty hard to slide the winding thread under. Is it better error on the higher tension side versus a little loose wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by auntrout View Post
    Is it better error on the higher tension side versus a little loose wrap?
    That's a hard call. If you wrap too tight, it's hard to make any adjustments to the guides and any sharp guide feet could possibly cut into the blank.
    Wrap too loose and the wrap will fall apart.
    They gotta be like "Goldielocks", (just right)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Thanks, I did have a couple fall apart when packing the thread. I had some discoloration when I applied my finish coat and thought it may have been due to the wrap being too tight. Had some feedback that I probably did not let the CP soak into the thread enough in the areas where the wrap looked darker after applying finish.

9. Default Re: material for wrap pull?

I use 12# braided line. Lies flat, very strong and last a long time. I tie in a small bright colored bead. The bead helps to pull on and helps me find it on the wrapping table. It seems when I pull my loop through I just drop it with out thinking about it and then I have to find it for the next wrap. I make up several at a time so that if I am doing multiple thread colors that need tie off they are there. I have one I am using that must be 3 years old now and still works just fine. I usually loose them before they wear out.

Flat fine Kevlar thread. I would avoid using the waxed floss for fear of some wax staying on the thread & leaving a spot. I know it's knitpicking, but when I build a rod I try to avoid the little things. I've had wraps look splotchy for enough reasons not to avoid the obvious.
    Neil
    fishn50@aol.com
    Remember to fill in the dash----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast