Test Wraps

auntrout

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but I'd rather ask than regret later. I was going to be doing some test wraps on my next build so I know exactly what the thread will look like with finish applied. Do I need to let the finish on the test wraps completely cure before I go ahead and mount my reel seat over test wraps; I was planning on letting it dry at least 6-8 hours. I'm using all Flex Coat products (lite formula rod wrapping finish and rod building epoxy). I was worried that I might have some type of chemical reaction problem if I apply the rod building epoxy over the thread wrap finish that is still be a little tacky Thanks.

auntrout

Reaction score
Right, I'm going to do my test wraps where my reel seat/insert will be mounted. Blank is .33" OD and ID of the rosewood insert is .40". I figure I can do about six 0.25" wide test wraps without interfering where my masking tape bushings will go when I fit the reel seat.

Last edited:

Auntie Em

Reaction score
A really quick, down and dirty way to check what your thread wraps will look like, without having to go through all the time waiting ... wrap a test wrap, could be under the reel seat location, or anywhere, and dab some vegetable oil on it. It's amazing how well the test for color compares. Then simply wash it off!

auntrout

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that pointer. I'll do that and after I decide I'll cut off the wrap and clean the blank with some DNA. I'm using a TFO Finesse blank which is a dark olive. I was going to test wrap the follow colors:

1. NCP Danville - Green
2. Fish Hawk with color lock - Green and Gunmetal
3. Pac Bay (regular thread) - Evergreen
4. Fish Hawk (no color lock) - Charcoal

mojo

Reaction score
A really quick, down and dirty way to check what your thread wraps will look like, without having to go through all the time waiting ... wrap a test wrap, could be under the reel seat location, or anywhere, and dab some vegetable oil on it. It's amazing how well the test for color compares. Then simply wash it off!
Or you can also use distilled water on the wraps.

hardhat

Reaction score
s the thread color fast or will it need a preserver? I would suggest getting a 3/8 rod at lowes or depot and run your test on one of those.

auntrout

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. I ended up using trying the vegetable oil and mineral spirits to wet the test wraps. Decided to go with the Fish Hawk charcoal thread for this build.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Now THAT is one 'Cool Dude' idea; LOVE IT! Make total sense.
fae

Auntie Em

Reaction score
s the thread color fast or will it need a preserver? I would suggest getting a 3/8 rod at lowes or depot and run your test on one of those.
Only one problem with this idea for color checking. The dowel rod is natural wood colored. It will not show what color the threads will become after epoxy. If you want to know what color your wraps will be on the color rod you're building, use the oil or water trick.

The wrapping on the dowel is EXCELLENT for practicing your wraps on before you turn to the new blank.

mojo

Reaction score
Only one problem with this idea for color checking. The dowel rod is natural wood colored. It will not show what color the threads will become after epoxy. If you want to know what color your wraps will be on the color rod you're building, use the oil or water trick.

The wrapping on the dowel is EXCELLENT for practicing your wraps on before you turn to the new blank.
Exactly. Wrap test are done on the butt section. Put all the colors on that interest you, and if you're using NCP thread, put an additional set of wraps on with color preservitive. You could even coat them with epoxy to really get an idea. After a few rods under your belt, you'll get a better idea of what color thread will go with what color blank.

rrarods

Reaction score
Mojo is right on with this one. After time you will just start to see the colors you need to use! For my rods I lay out the blank and come up with my primary color. I lay tread spools next to it and come up with what I like. ThenI do the same with my secondary color. It works for me and I get a pretty good visual of what it will look like. Taking wraps off is always another option. After repairing rods for a while now I have gotten pretty good at removing wraps and epoxy from rods. If you know how to do it you can put the test wraps anywhere you like and then just take them back off!