salvaging a blemished rod?

wabi

Reaction score
Never tried anything more complex that replacing a tip-top in the past, but I'm thinking about either trying to repair it myself or trying to talk an experienced builder into helping me salvage a blemished rod.

Several questions, but I'll try to limit it to a couple basic ones that baffle me. :eek:

I have one new rod with a "blemish" on one section. It looks like either the blank had dirt on it when finished or a bubble in the finish left a blank spot on the blank. Gloss finish with one flat spot that appears to be slightly recessed.
Is this repairable?

Another problem is cracks in the cork.

Would it be worth the time/effort/materials to repair this rod?

Last edited:

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Far from being an expert builder ...
If you received that rod, new, and it looked like that right out of the wrapper, I'd take it back to where you got it. What rod company would be trying to stick an owner with blems and separated cork?

mojo

Reaction score
If it was a freebee or really cheap and you knew about the defects, and you want to use the rod, here's what I'd do.
Wet sand the blank with 600 grit wet dry. Use lots of water.
Buy a plastic ketchup bottle from Walmart, or turkey baster, some UV Spar varnish from Ace Hardware, some thinner for the varnish, and a tack rag.
Sand the entire blank lightly including the guide thread epoxy.
It should now be a matte finish.
Now you'll need a place that's warm and as dust free as possible.
You are going to have to hang your rod sections to let them dry.
String taped to a broken rod section you might have lying around, will be inserted in the female end of the section or if it's a multi-piece rod, one for each section. If you have ferrules, tape them up with masking tape. If it's a tip over butt, I wouldn't worry about it. You can always wet sand or wipe off the varnish later.
Take some varnish and cut it 50% with your choice of thinner. Mix it up good
Pour it into the clean ketchup bottle.
Now get a roller paint pan and line it with aluminum foil.
(I've done this before in a stand up shower, and used string across the shower for a hanging line.)
Take the tack rag and clean the rod sections of any dirt, or other stuff that might be on it.
Now you'll get your thinned varnish and slowly saturate the rod section. If it's the butt section, grab it by the handle, tip end down, and turn the rod as you drizzle the varnish down the graphite until it's completely covered.
let it drip a little and then hang the rod piece. Do the same with the other section(s).
It will dry to the touch in a hour or so, and just let it hang and dry for a week or two before using.
Simple as that.
The varnish is so thin, it will put a thin flexable coat on the blank that will last a long time. Plus it smells killer when you open your rod tube.:cool:

imxer

Reaction score
Wabi

Admitedly this is a guess but is that a low end Greys rod? Don't know the
circumstances of your acquiring it but if it is a Greys, why not contact them about the problem? They might be willing to fix it or send a replacement.
Shouldn't cost much, if anything, to find out. Best of luck, hope it all works out
well for you.

Imxer

wabi

Reaction score
It is a rod that's being replaced. I just hate to toss it in the trash. :rolleyes:
Thought it might be a good way to learn how to make repairs without much risk.
I'm wondering if some "Elmer's Glue" and a bit of cork dust mixed together might bond & fill the cracks in the cork?

If I don't attempt to fix it I'll at least keep the two tip sections as backup parts for the new rod. ;)

BTW - when I called and explained the damage the person I talked to had me email pics. An apology for letting a defective rod slip out, and a new rod personally inspected before shipment the next day was promised. It is on the way and I should have it in my hands Tuesday.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
For the cork 'yes,' with one major exception: "I'm wondering if some "Elmer's Glue" and a bit of cork dust mixed together might bond & fill the cracks in the cork?"

Use Gorilla Glue or something that's really water proof. Remove cork from that 3/4 empty single malt Whisky bottle, pour into glass and consume while doing the following.:D

Take a fine file (even your sig-others nail file will do) and sand down the cork (remember, you don't need it any more) and add just enough 'glue' to get a simi-thick paste. Apply to breaks/holes in cork and let dry/set for several hours. "Haste makes waste" here.

If it budges (probably) use 0000 steelwool (or equivalent sand paper) to smooth out. Gentle here, a little goes a long way.:surprise: Which is why I recommend the 0000 rather than SP, far less aggressive.

As for the rest of the rod? Is it just 'cosmetic?' If so I'm not too sure I'd get all that involved save for a bit/drop of rod thread epoxy where needed.

As for Auntie Em's description above, I can assure you it works. Just a real time investment.

fae

oarfish

Reaction score
I use a waterproof wood glue to rub into the cracks on the grip, wipe off the extra with damp towels and you'll be able to lightly sand off and discolor after it dries, the blemish won't hurt the rod, it was a once a bubble, use some clear nail polish if you need to seal it.

Rick

Last edited: