Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hook keeper

Blog Entries

Default hook keeper

i'll make it quick and easy.
    yes or no on a hook keeper on hand built rods?
    if so or not, why.
    all keeper styles considered

ARFE

Default Re: hook keeper

Quote Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
    i'll make it quick and easy.
    yes or no on a hook keeper on hand built rods?
    if so or not, why.
    all keeper styles considered
    For me, yes. On all rods. It is nice to have a spot for the hook without having to worry about the cork or any line guides.

You have Alaska experience, think of the times when you are hiking through the dense alders on the riverbank. Having to turn your rod backwards so it doesnt get hung up in the bushes. Think of how nice it is to have a designated place for the hook and not have to worry about it, and having enough tension in your line to also avoid getting hung up.

The weight involved is inconsequential, and the time to add it into the rod building process is minimal. Add it now, because you will likely regret later.

Waste of effort to put one on and they muddle up an area that could be keep "clean"

Hook your fly on the bottom stripper guide
    Run the leader under the reel, then bring it back around the spool and run it up around the under side of the reel seat making the leader tight to the rod
    This way, not only is the leader protected from underbrush, but the leader knot is outside of the tip-top making things much easier on youself when you strip off line to resume fishing
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

4. Likes imxer liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by nerka View Post
    For me, yes. On all rods. It is nice to have a spot for the hook without having to worry about the cork or any line guides.

You have Alaska experience, think of the times when you are hiking through the dense alders on the riverbank. Having to turn your rod backwards so it doesnt get hung up in the bushes. Think of how nice it is to have a designated place for the hook and not have to worry about it, and having enough tension in your line to also avoid getting hung up.

The weight involved is inconsequential, and the time to add it into the rod building process is minimal. Add it now, because you will likely regret later.
    +1 for all the same reasons with a single hander.

Fred

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Waste of effort to put one on and they muddle up an area that could be keep "clean"

Hook your fly on the bottom stripper guide
    Run the leader under the reel, then bring it back around the spool and run it up around the under side of the reel seat making the leader tight to the rod
    This way, not only is the leader protected from underbrush, but the leader knot is outside of the tip-top making things much easier on youself when you strip off line to resume fishing
    The above is the norm for guys with 2-hander rods.
    fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I suppose it's a personal preference,I like Hook Keepers on Rods though I also use the same method as Rip Tide as it does make it easier & quicker to cast to fish especially as Fred said after hiking to a Fishing Spot.
    From my own experiences with an Old Shimano Rod where The Hook Keeper has been put on the left hand side,when double hauling sometimes the Line gets caught on the Keeper so put them on the underside of The Rod in Line with The Runners,even though most of my Rods have Fixed Keepers The Folding Keepers look really good.
    Brian

Yes.
    1. I like to use them sometimes, other times use around the the reel seat on the guide thing
    2. Cheap and easy to do so why risk regretting not doing it
    3. I think it looks good
    4. Never heard a reason that changed my view of 1-3

Blog Entries

great responses guys
    i 'm gonna go with one of those folding style keepers.

casey

ARFE

On rods I've built I've added them. I find myself doing what Rip mentioned more and more with my single hand rods and spey.

i have rods with them and one without. I sure miss it on the one without.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
    i have rods with them and one without. I sure miss it on the one without.
    yep, me too

...but I think alignment dots hurt the appearance and see no need for them as I CAN still see to align my guides all by myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast