Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  36
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: My winter spey rod project.

I'm sure that blank has a fairly healthy butt section. Are you going to weave with C or A thread?
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    I'm sure that blank has a fairly healthy butt section. Are you going to weave with C or A thread?
    A thread. Metalic blue. I'm also doing a feather inlay on the side facing you holding the rod so I don't want it going to far up the sides. I'm also going to weave the the length and weight of the rod. That will help take the weave length closer to the feather inlay's length. I finally got the one of the feathers I want for the inlay. Impeyan Monal Pheasant breast feathers. They are a deep metallic blue. Awsome. I've got a Cabot's Tragopan Pheasant breast feather that is also something to see I'd like to work into it. Once the Impeyan feathers show up I'll try and lay it all out.

By the way, where the weave is going the blank is almost 5/8" in diameter. Not exactly skinny. I'll have plenty of room to make this look good. By the way, since I have been such a bad influence on you, when can you make it up here so I can complete your turning to the dark side?

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    A thread. Metalic blue. I'm also doing a feather inlay on the side facing you holding the rod so I don't want it going to far up the sides. I'm also going to weave the the length and weight of the rod. That will help take the weave length closer to the feather inlay's length. I finally got the one of the feathers I want for the inlay. Impeyan Monal Pheasant breast feathers. They are a deep metallic blue. Awsome. I've got a Cabot's Tragopan Pheasant breast feather that is also something to see I'd like to work into it. Once the Impeyan feathers show up I'll try and lay it all out.

By the way, where the weave is going the blank is almost 5/8" in diameter. Not exactly skinny. I'll have plenty of room to make this look good. By the way, since I have been such a bad influence on you, when can you make it up here so I can complete your turning to the dark side?
    Never!!! I haven't done a weave in 5 years and I'm in no rush to get back into it. I still mess around with cork and EVA grips on my saltwater rods but nothing like I used to. I prefer to spend more time fishing I do have the pefect guy to send up your way. We grew up fishing the same boats in Sheepshead Bay. He's a maniac with custom grips and EVA inlays. Here is some of his work:
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Those grips are beyond cool. This thread keeps on getting better. Thanks for sharing.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Wow, those are great! His EVA inlays are amazing. I would like to talk to him one day. Thanks for posting those. I have never seen the 'squiggle' stripe trick. Did he come up with that on his own? He definetely has the inlay thing down pat.

Wow, those are great! His EVA inlays are amazing. I would like to talk to him one day. Thanks for posting those. I have never seen the 'squiggle' stripe trick. Did he come up with that on his own? He definetely has the inlay thing down pat.
    Not sure where he got it but he has a knack for "seeing" the grip done before it's turned. When I tried it it looked nothing like I expected, plus I HATE contact cement
    His name is Billy Vivone. The club is NERBS, north east rod builders. The facebook page is more impressive than the website. Just tell him Marco from Staten Island turned you on to the club. He loves to share the sickness
    Welcome to Facebook

I just went and looked at the page. The first thing I saw was a couple of guys posing with Hiro Tanaka. Hiro does weaves that would put most people in therapy for life. The first weave I ever saw of his, was a dragon that was at least four colors and went 360 degrees around the blank. This means that you have to undo the previous left threads as you do the next step in four colors while you turn the rod. It hurts my head to even think about it. He is the only guy I have seen do a weave all the way around a blank. They have some pretty good photos on their face book page. These guys like the cross wrap stuff. They have dome some really good closed wraps. I like the 'Wizard' pattern. Pretty cool stuff. I see Billy opted for the full size lathe. I also see that Doc Ski is a member of NERB's. His video on how to do weaves is where I learned to do them.
    Last edited by Guest1; 03-03-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Add the Doc Ski line.

I just went and looked at the page. The first thing I saw was a couple of guys posing with Hiro Tanaka. Hiro does weaves that would put most people in therapy for life. The first weave I ever saw of his, was a dragon that was at least four colors and went 360 degrees around the blank. This means that you have to undo the previous left threads as you do the next step in four colors while you turn the rod. It hurts my head to even think about it. He is the only guy I have seen do a weave all the way around a blank. They have some pretty good photos on their face book page. These guys like the cross wrap stuff. They have dome some really good closed wraps. I like the 'Wizard' pattern. Pretty cool stuff. I see Billy opted for the full size lathe. I also see that Doc Ski is a member of NERB's. His video on how to do weaves is where I learned to do them.
    I've seen that wrap. I can't imagine how he kept his left list right while doing that one! I don't make many meetings since I work on Saturdays but they're a great bunch of guys. Most of us build saltwater rods for conventional reels, especially bottom fishing rods. Most of the butts on these rods are 1" diameter of close to it. It's a badge of honor to get a full wrap to close with that diamater and the taper. The "wizard" is Billy's icon/alter ego.

Blog Entries

Marco, thanks for posting that information about NERBs, crazy stuff.

And Marco, if you're ever headed to see Dan, pick me up on the way!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

I got the seat and the grips on today. I'll post the photos and the test wraps I'll do in the morning. I'm leaning toward a dark green black classic twist. But the guides start in the morning. I got some of the feathers I want in the inlay. I'm thinking I want the base feather to be a pretty good sized Palawan Peacock Pheasant feather with two eyes on it. It wraps half way around the blank. It may go to far for the weave. I'll have to see. Still waiting on a few feathers to show up. Mainly the Impeyan Monal feathers.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast