Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Ferulle Repair Question

I have a Winston IM6 2pc rod with what I believe they call "spigot ferulle". The male end of the first section makes an abrupt stop, and there is then a smaller diameter section that inserts into the female part of the next rod section. There is usually a 1/4" (or so) gap and there is no gap in this one. I believe that it is just worn out, and the female section covers the entire males section of the ferulle. I have looked at the female portion with a magnifying glass to make sure there is no cracks in it and I can't find any cracks. Is there any easy way to fix this? Maybe some way to build up the male portion of the ferulle? I'm hoping there is an easy and not to expensive fix for this.

Default Re: Ferulle Repair Question

Just rub some wax on the male section
    I carry a candle stub in my vest pocket for my 40 year old Lamiglas 4wt (with a spigot ferule)
    In the past, I used to stick a blade of grass in the ferule to keep it from coming apart, but since i started using the wax... no problems
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Just rub some wax on the male section
    I carry a candle stub in my vest pocket for my 40 year old Lamiglas 4wt (with a spigot ferule)
    In the past, I used to stick a blade of grass in the ferule to keep it from coming apart, but since i started using the wax... no problems
    It's gotten pretty loose, and I thought about a little strip of tape or something as a temporary fix, but I was wondering if there isn't some lacquer or something that would be a permenant and proper fix for this.

Blog Entries

Send an e-mail to Winston and include a couple good pictures to show what you are describing. Visit their web site and you'll find the address, they will tell you what you're up against. Until you get it fixed wax like paul advised and put a wrap of electrical tape stretched tightly around the spot where the sections join.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    It's gotten pretty loose, and I thought about a little strip of tape or something as a temporary fix, but I was wondering if there isn't some lacquer or something that would be a permenant and proper fix for this.
    You'd be surprised how well the wax works
    Try it.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Thanks guys...
    I did get a response from Winston...which I was very afraid of. Apparently I got a hold of the generous repair representative this time. He offered to "re-fit the gap" and only charge me the service fee of $50 that warrantied customers get. Do you guys have any idea what that entails??? Re-fitting the gap?

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    Thanks guys...
    I did get a response from Winston...which I was very afraid of. Apparently I got a hold of the generous repair representative this time. He offered to "re-fit the gap" and only charge me the service fee of $50 that warrantied customers get. Do you guys have any idea what that entails??? Re-fitting the gap?
    Yup... 50 dollars