Some more thread work.

L

Liphookedau

Also some lovely Thread Work,very time consuming.
Brian.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Now I know why you've been so quiet :D That can't be easy, the thread work I mean..............
The thread work is easier than keeping quiet for me! Once you get used to laying down the thread it's just a matter of picking colors, following a pattern, and plenty of patience.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Hey Swirl, do you know Steve Kolb?
No, but I seem to remeber the name. Maybe from one of the rodbuilding forums?

wt bash

Reaction score
Some called him Broken Leg Stevie, he's a party boat fixture down by A.H. and was a regular when the Freddy C was still worth going out on. He was the first builder that I had seen do realy intricate butt wraps but nothing like your pattern there. He built me an ultralight baitcaster that had the guides twist so the top third were completely under the blank, anyhow the Freddy went offshore and he wrapped up a jigging rod in the same configuration and let me try it out. Not four swings into it did I hook up with a little longfin and broke in the rod for him. I thought you might know of him cause he's right in your area. Good dude too, total fish head!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Some called him Broken Leg Stevie, he's a party boat fixture down by A.H. and was a regular when the Freddy C was still worth going out on. He was the first builder that I had seen do realy intricate butt wraps but nothing like your pattern there. He built me an ultralight baitcaster that had the guides twist so the top third were completely under the blank, anyhow the Freddy went offshore and he wrapped up a jigging rod in the same configuration and let me try it out. Not four swings into it did I hook up with a little longfin and broke in the rod for him. I thought you might know of him cause he's right in your area. Good dude too, total fish head!
I have a few rods that I wrapped with that spiral guide setup. Some guys swear by it. I personally don't feel much difference when fighting fish but it looks pretty cool:cool:.
I figure you could use a little memory from home, here's a box of meat from yesterday morning :D

wt bash

Reaction score
The only real difference I noticed was in casting lighter stuff. Its a sweet little rod for when the wind would be too much. Damn bro I heard the fluking wasn't half bad this year with the limits and all, I see there's a nice slab on the bottom. I can almost hear the knife getting sharpend!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
The only real difference I noticed was in casting lighter stuff. Its a sweet little rod for when the wind would be too much. Damn bro I heard the fluking wasn't half bad this year with the limits and all, I see there's a nice slab on the bottom. I can almost hear the knife getting sharpend!
They dropped the limits down to 17.5" and 5 fish bag. We were throwing back 18" fish, that was a 26" doormat at the bottom of the pile:D

wt bash

Reaction score
Has the TA bouy given up any monster yet? Every tournament every year somebody comes in with a full on giant pulled from there while I wasted the fuel to run down to the rocks/reef. What's happening offshore? You build any standup rods? Thats what I miss the most, a two day trip to the Hudson, stopping on the pots to catch up some mahi. Now that would be the killroy on a 8wt! Hahah sorry to blast you with questions there I guess I should read the Hook Line&Sinker in the Press online!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Has the TA bouy given up any monster yet? Every tournament every year somebody comes in with a full on giant pulled from there while I wasted the fuel to run down to the rocks/reef. What's happening offshore? You build any standup rods? Thats what I miss the most, a two day trip to the Hudson, stopping on the pots to catch up some mahi. Now that would be the killroy on a 8wt! Hahah sorry to blast you with questions there I guess I should read the Hook Line&Sinker in the Press online!
The guys who catch fish don't post. If they do the facts are usually a little skewed...:D. I haven't been near the TA all season. The reef is only a few miles from the Shark River inlet. Haven't had any reason to go anywhere else yet. The gloryhole has been producing good tuna action. A customer of mine went 14 for 17 on 50-60lb class fish this past Sat. They should be getting closer and the Albies should be here soon :wiggle:

wt bash

Reaction score
And I'm still stuck in Ohio where either too hot or the flow is too low! I might head that way sooner than later although I don't want to jump too early and end up misssing out the fall action.