Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  59
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

Default Re: Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

I've been taking my time with this plus I have to act as nurse for a while but I finished up all the tipping last night and I'm just heating up some M.O.W. to start coating the wraps. It won't take long now, I want to let the finish show some of the texture of the silk so it doesn't look like bands of electrical tape. Which means I don't have to use as many coats and the rod will be ready fish by the time my Ma is up and walking again. Once every thing is cured and its time to fish I'll be sculpinating the Cumberland Valley spring creeks looking for a big ole brown......although I think I just jinxed myself!!!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

2. Likes williamhj, Auntie Em, imxer liked this post

Final Coat! (I hope!) After dealing with broken legs the holidays and trying to muster the patience to let the danged varnish dry completely I just finished up the final coat. I had sanded down the varnish in the signature area to the point where it took the old chicken scratch WRH away and added the Payne Blood Sweat Tears as that's what it took to finish this booger! Next time you see this rod it will be posing next to a bloody big brown!!!

Turning away...
    Last edited by wt bash; 01-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.

4. Likes mcnerney, williamhj, Auntie Em liked this post

Looking good Mr Bash!

OMG! Who's two broken legs???!!! Or is that a what????

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    OMG! Who's two broken legs???!!! Or is that a what????
    My Ma took a fall the day before Thanksgiving and broke her leg in three places. She's on the mend and doing really good now. She had to have a plate put in the length of her shin and pinned to another plate in her heel. Funny though no cast I guess the days of the hard plaster cast are over. I've been the on duty nurse/dog walker/chef/house cleaner/grocery shopper/laundry do'er/bottle washer/cosmonaut so I've just been doing little bits here and there when I can.

Beautiful rod. Must feel proud looking at it! Even more proud when you land the brown I look forward to the pictures!
    - William

I'm so sorry to hear of your Mothers accident! I pray she heals well ... and quickly.

On the other hand ... that rod is looking beautious! It will be a source of great fishing for you, as well as a source of much pride.

Sweet project WT! Man that's an absolute beauty, I can't wait to see it finished completely. And I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one a less than ideal "rod turning shop" space!

A big thanks to everyone's encouragement and making this pretty fun! I suffered through a long hot night keeping the heat up way past my comfort level to keep the varnish from getting that orange peel look to it. This morning it looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    And I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one a less than ideal "rod turning shop" space!
    I hear ya there! Thankfully Ma can't get around too well so she hasn't seen what's been going on in her living room! I had a work shop set up but since I have to be here most of the time I set up my fly tying area, my forms and have since started planing strips down to 60 to get ready for yet another 4wt. I think the cane chip compliments the feather bits and deer hair trimming quite nicely! I don't think she'll appreciate the rustic decor! By the time I can get the rod to the stream, maybe another 4 weeks, I'll know all the vanish has had really good cure time and the rod will have reached stasis. Meaning any slow sweeps or bends will have shown themselves and been dealt with and its 100% fish ready. So if you guys ever get the urge to buy a cane rod and which ever maker you choose gives you a long wait period, thats the cause. The actual build time is relatively quick but its waiting for the dip finish to dry and everything thing to finally cure is where the wait comes from. I learned from my teacher that some makers will wait up to two months after dipping before they even start thinking about wrapping the guides as its easier to sight and straighten the sweeps that inevitably come back. Its a natural material and its hard to "tame" nature.

That looks sweet Bill! Don't forget to let me know when a blank comes up for sale
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567