Stand recommendation

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The wife is gonna procure some rod building equipment for me as a christmas gift.
Anyone got recommendations for decent wrapper etc?

Eunan
Eunan, Google Angler's Workshop in Woodland, Washington. They've been in business since the '60's that I know of (my buys). Think they may even have a sale going on at the moment. Another one is "Mudhole" (hell of a name???:rolleyes:); not used them but just trans-shipped a large box of rod building goodies to the UK earlier this week.

Fred

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Thank you jpbfly! The holder I use for wrapping my rods actually came from Cabelas. The LEAST expensive unit they sell. When I started out rod building, I went inexpensive, because I had no idea if I'd really like doing it! :eek: Now, all these years later, and goodness only knows how many rods!, I'm still using the same equipment. I'll improvise at times through the local orthodontist, and Ace Hardware, but it's VERY basic. Guess I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory!! fyi: orthodontist; elastics to hold guides for wrapping, and small spatula, and pick for mixing epoxy and cleaning guides. Ace Hrdwr; lazer level, crutch tips (that's a story in itself!), and small clamps.

williamhj

Reaction score
I made one based on this site. If you have scrap wood it can be dirt cheap or you can make it out of nicer wood, stain it, etc. You can make the tensioners from stuff at the hardware store or purchase one. Not as 'nice' as one purchased but I'd rather spend the cash on a rod and making my own stand fit the whole building my own rod theme well. However, if your wife is looking to buy a gift perhaps one from a rod building store is best.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
If you will be building primarily flyrods then you can make one. I have a powerwrapper but rarely use it to wrap flyrods. If I'm building larger saltwater rods or turning cork the power wrapper will see some action.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks.

I'm now reconsidering the whole thing. Do i want to build it? Do I want someone else to build it? Do i even want to keep the blank?

Ah well, i'm sure i'll figure it out. Not like i need the rod for my next fishing trip!